HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

2116 Chestnut in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

View Full Map

Old Posted Sep 8, 2012, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsgrant View Post
Today.Looks like its up to around 22-23 stories. Glass 13 stories.

This is awesome! Going to have such a huge presence in the skyline from this angle.

P.S.... I like that you can see 2040 Market in this shot.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2012, 3:58 PM

Shot courtesy of 3trzbuildings posted on the Philadelphia development thread

Old Posted Sep 9, 2012, 9:48 PM
Faith in Philadelphia.

Another shot courtesy of 3trzbuildings.

This project is really looking good.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2012, 1:03 AM
BANNED

Couple more from today

Old Posted Sep 12, 2012, 1:14 AM

Fantastic pics Pennsgrant

Old Posted Sep 12, 2012, 1:41 PM

In walking around the city, you take a lot of the 19th century residential architecture for granted but then you see a picture like this:

Quote:
Wow! Nice contrast with the modern towers in the background.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Couple more from today

I second PHL10's comment above on Pennsgrant pics. This is a great pic Pennsgrant. I didn't realize these gorgeous old homes stood so close to the new Chestnut bldg. And as mentioned above, these scenes of contrast are what I really love above Philly. To see the Murano and soon the new 2116 Chestnut just beyond these stone and brick beauties provides such a rich urban fabric. I truly think the old homes give the sleek new buildings a finer edge. And of course, the glassy towers bring out the rich detail of the older homes. Perfect together in my book.

Sidenote: while the old homes look a bit tattered, I hope they remain intact and are improved.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2012, 12:06 AM

Update from today, 9/15/2012

It is up to the 24th floor

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 6:39 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

The tower is shaping up. It looks like it will be much better than the bland rendering. $100 million is a pretty big project. It's always nice to be pleasantly suprised.

"Even Old New York was once New Amsterdam"

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
The tower is shaping up. It looks like it will be much better than the bland rendering. $100 million is a pretty big project. It's always nice to be pleasantly suprised.
This is the final render now, they added the balconies back

http://nakedphilly.com/rittenhouse/d...-new-building/

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 7:09 PM

1000x better than the life-sucking Hillman Center. The tower is decent and the base is meh. But the total package is fugly. Looks like someone airlifted a gleaming glass tower on top of a bland red brick building. It's so disjointed. I understand the need for a setback (due to NIMBYs) but at least incorporate similar building materials to give the building a unified look.

That's not to take anything away from another high rise and the added activity that this building will provide to that corner.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 7:17 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
This is the final render now, they added the balconies back

http://nakedphilly.com/rittenhouse/d...-new-building/
Yeah, i know they added the balconies; But look at that drawing, or the one without balconies. Why aren't they high quality CGI for a 100 million project? Just saying the renders suck.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
Yeah, i know they added the balconies; But look at that drawing, or the one without balconies. Why aren't they high quality CGI for a 100 million project? Just saying the renders suck.
Oh, whatever! The only thing that matters is that the real building turns out well, and not renderings. In fact, it's quite a rare occasion that a development ends up looking as good as, or even better than its renderings. So I guess that it is good to set the bar low with the renderings, haha.

And with regards to the base, sure, it could have been more modern. But the fact that it helped this project move forward and get built makes me satisfied with it. It's not terrible looking, either. As long as it actually has active retail establishments, I doubt that anyone will really even notice its blandness.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
1000x better than the life-sucking Hillman Center. The tower is decent and the base is meh. But the total package is fugly. Looks like someone airlifted a gleaming glass tower on top of a bland red brick building. It's so disjointed. I understand the need for a setback (due to NIMBYs) but at least incorporate similar building materials to give the building a unified look.

That's not to take anything away from another high rise and the added activity that this building will provide to that corner.
I get what you're saying, but in the dense(r) area of 22nd and Chestnut, and with Philly's narrow streets, rarely are towers taken in in totality. I find the street level section is admired (or not) on the street and the height is admired from a distance and in relation to the skyline as a whole. I can't tell you the number of times I walk by the G Fred and completely forget there's a stunning blue glass tower on top.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 3:48 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by aro1419 View Post
Oh, whatever! The only thing that matters is that the real building turns out well, and not renderings. In fact, it's quite a rare occasion that a development ends up looking as good as, or even better than its renderings. So I guess that it is good to set the bar low with the renderings, haha.

And with regards to the base, sure, it could have been more modern. But the fact that it helped this project move forward and get built makes me satisfied with it. It's not terrible looking, either. As long as it actually has active retail establishments, I doubt that anyone will really even notice its blandness.
Sometimes buildings turn out nicer than expected and sometimes they are less interesting than their rendering. That's the only thought I had.
And yeah, exceeding expectations is always nice. In fact in business you are trained to "under promise & over deliver". It's a good concept.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 4:24 PM
gettin' rich!

The minimalist box. Something we know all to well here in Toronto.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 12:08 PM

Curious, has there been any mention/rumors of retail tenants? Or any info regarding the square footage of the different spaces?

... I was just thinking there have been rumors of Trader Joe's looking for more space and it's not too far away, though I'm not sure what the parking situation at 2116 Chesnut is, either. I'm sure Trader Joe's wouldn't give up having a parking lot.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenbagis View Post
Curious, has there been any mention/rumors of retail tenants? Or any info regarding the square footage of the different spaces?

... I was just thinking there have been rumors of Trader Joe's looking for more space and it's not too far away, though I'm not sure what the parking situation at 2116 Chesnut is, either. I'm sure Trader Joe's wouldn't give up having a parking lot.
It seems like they're just gonna expand in their current location: http://nakedphilly.com/logan-square/...r-trader-joes/

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 1:58 AM

Took this at the Phillies game Friday.

You can see where 2116 Chestnut fits in the skyline on the left. On the right, next to the St. James, you can see that Penn Medicine at Washington Square adds some density.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2012, 8:23 PM
BANNED

Up to about 28 stories.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive