HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

AVA DoBro in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 2:57 AM
New Yorker for life

Smile NEW YORK | Avalon Willoughby West | 596 FT | 58 FLOORS

http://www.brownstoner.com/blog/2011...owntown-tower/

Avalon Evidently Still Planning Second Downtown Tower

By Gabby | 11/21/2011

Quote:
It’s been more than a year since there was any sign that Avalon Bay still plans to build a second Downtown high-rise—a tower that, at 58 stories, would be the tallest in the borough, beating out the Brooklyner—but the trust recently bought a building on Willoughby Street, adding another parcel to the seven assembled for the development. Public records show Avalon purchased 100 Willoughby Street, on the corner of Duffield, for $22,989,341 from Downtown kingpin Al Laboz. At this point Avalon has spent nearly $100 million on parcels on the block bounded by Willoughby, Duffield, Bridge and Fulton. A very old rendering for the tower is shown above. The project has been in the works for at least three years.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by Dylan Leblanc; Dec 13, 2011 at 4:19 PM.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 2:56 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.brownstoner.com/blog/2012...to-the-puzzle/

Avalon Adds Another Piece to the Puzzle

By Emily
05/09/2012

Quote:

As 388 Bridge Street begins its ascent, Avalon Bay continues to plot its massive project across the street.

The developer added another parcel (385 Bridge Street) to the eight already assembled for the development (marked with the blue circles in the above map). The price for 385 Bridge (marked with the red star) was $10,089,083.48. As of now, it looks like the two remaining pieces of the parcel are 94 Willoughby Street and 383 Bridge Street. Avalon’s total spend? Close to $100 million.

The latest word on the 57-story rental tower, planned for years now, was that construction should wrap by the end of 2014. That hardly seems realistic at this point.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 7:09 AM

Whatever rises across the street from this looks like it could be significantly taller.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 12:39 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
Whatever rises across the street from this looks like it could be significantly taller.
They're supposed to be about the same height...
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=171518

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 6:18 PM
New Yorker for life

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2012/10/...dential-tower/

With $17M buy, AvalonBay completes purchase of residential tower site

October 04, 2012
By Adam Pincus

Quote:

Completing a four-years process, residential developer AvalonBay Communities has acquired the last two properties from United American Land needed to construct an 861-unit rental apartment building in Downtown Brooklyn, at 88 Willoughby Street. When completed, the tower is currently expected to be the tallest residential building in the borough. AvalonBay, a real estate investment trust based in Arlington, Va., paid United American $125.5 million for 11 properties at the corner of Willoughby and Bridge streets in a series of sales that began in 2008, an analysis of city property records show. Most recently, the REIT paid $17.6 million for 94 Willoughby Street and 383 Bridge Street, two three-story buildings with a total of more than 42,000 square feet of development rights, city records filed yesterday show. The sale closed September 24.

The REIT is planning a 596-foot tall rental tower that is vying with Stahl Organization’s 590-foot apartment building at 388 Bridge Street to be the tallest residential tower in Brooklyn. The development sites are directly across Bridge Street from one another.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 6:29 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

glad to hear of some movement! i often work nearby and it is kind of frustrating how they ran all the businesses out years ago while the block just sits there empty. and then we have the nearby pop-up dekalb market leaving now too.

btw there is nothing of obvious merit architecturally around that block, so no loss other than of a historically more lowrise ny.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 7:44 PM

Here's renders from the engineers on the project:

http://www.edzuck.com/project52.htm

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 12:55 AM
New Yorker for life

It's to close in height and location to 388 Bridge St (590 ft), so I wish they would drive this thing above 600 ft. I would prefer if both those towers were a little more slender.
It looks a little more office than residential, but it's better looking the the Brooklyner.

http://www.slcearch.com/current-proj...oughby-square/

There's a lot missing in that rendering, but you can imagine how it would compete with Citypoint as well.

http://atlanticyardsreport.blogspot....-brooklyn.html

Last edited by NYguy; Oct 5, 2012 at 1:42 AM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 11:16 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.brownstoner.com/blog/2012...town-brooklyn/

Avalon Completes Its Puzzle in Downtown Brooklyn

By Emily | 10/04/2012

Quote:

A little more than one week after scaffolding went up around Avalon’s soon-to-be residential tower in Downtown Brooklyn, the mega-developer closed on the two remaining sites it needed to acquire before construction. Avalon paid $17,619,598.33 for two buildings: 383 Bridge Street and 94 Willoughby Street, according to public records.

As we mentioned early this summer, those were the last two parcels needed along the corner of Willoughby and Bridge before maxing it out. This puts Avalon’s investment in the area around $100 million. The plans in place for years call for a 57-story rental tower that would wrap construction in 2014. We’re waiting for some updated plans since the deal is finally complete!

Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 2:15 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

here is the site as of today. they are actively tearing down the bldgs on the block:

Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 3:19 AM
aka Studdedleather

Wow, it's finally happening! Maybe by Spring the crane should be ready to go and some foundation laid! Hopefully we don't get too bad of a storm this year so that all of the projects won't have many delays, serious delays rather.

Brooklyn's skyline is growing! and to think this is just the beginning stages. Imagine when we're here when a 900+ foot tower is proposed AND approved. It's only a matter of time. . .

Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 3:30 AM
aka Studdedleather

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
It's to close in height and location to 388 Bridge St (590 ft), so I wish they would drive this thing above 600 ft. I would prefer if both those towers were a little more slender.
It looks a little more office than residential, but it's better looking the the Brooklyner.
I like to look at both 388 Bridge and Avalon Willoughby as fillers. Both are pushing the previous height limits and being close will impact the density downtown which is cool.

I do think (hope) the City Point tower will be of a substantial height. Like 700-750+ feet. A game changer for Downtown and something that sticks out. Though I still believe someone/somewhere is working on a Brooklyn Supertall and will announce it within the next few years. We'll see, but I'm glad this project is finally picking up.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 6:34 PM
aka Studdedleather

http://www.brownstoner.com/blog/2013...t/?stream=true

Demo permits Filed For Willoughby West Development

Quote:
Looks like demolition is coming soon for Avalon’s massive Willoughby West development: the Department of Buildings just issued demolition permits for 92 Willoughby, 94 Willoughby and 96 Willoughby. The entire property actually consists of eleven properties on the corner of Bridge and Willoughby Streets. Scaffolding is up at the entire site, and while construction workers are conducting pre-demolition work right now, none of the buildings are down yet. Once everything is demolished, construction will begin on a 57-story, 861-unit rental tower.
By Summer we should see some height on this one hopefully! It's neighbor 388 Bridge is rising beautifully already.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 11:12 PM

Thanks for the update, been wondering about this building.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 12:07 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRebel View Post
By Summer we should see some height on this one hopefully! It's neighbor 388 Bridge is rising beautifully already.
Don't know if it will rise that fast, but we should see progress.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 7:46 AM

I forgot just how close together this and 388 Bridge are. There will be two just under 600 footers right next to each other there, not too bad.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 10:48 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote from a lengthy article on the Brooklyn boom...

http://therealdeal.com/issues_articl...lding-bonanza/

Brooklyn’s building bonanza
Developers in the borough are constructing new (and big) rental towers in force

A rendering of 88 Willoughby Street, an 861-unit rental AvalonBay is developing

March 01, 2013
By Katherine Clarke

Quote:
A wave of new residential units is slated to hit the Brooklyn market in the next several years — and thousands of them will be rentals.

At 88 Willoughby Street in Downtown Brooklyn, for example, the real estate investment trust AvalonBay Communities is developing an 861-rental-unit apartment tower. A few blocks away on Schermerhorn Street, developer Douglas Steiner is building a 720-unit rental. Meanwhile, Jeffrey Levine’s Douglaston Development, the company behind the Edge condominium, is planning a 40-story, 510-unit rental tower at 1 North 4th Place in Williamsburg, the third Northside Piers building.

The construction of these mega rental projects in Brooklyn offers a clear contrast to Manhattan, where high-end condos make better financial sense for developers faced with ballooning land prices. In Brooklyn, where land is cheaper and lending for condos is still tight, the economics of rentals are more attractive right now, industry experts said.....In the recent past, about 70 percent of the city’s new rental development occurred in Manhattan, according to a report by the real estate marketing and consulting firm Nancy Packes Inc. But for projects slated to hit the market in 2013 and 2014, it’s a different story. Indeed, 70 percent of the city’s new rental developments launching this year and next is actually slated for Brooklyn and Queens — with a strong emphasis on Brooklyn.

The flood of new inventory will be concentrated predominantly in Downtown Brooklyn, where, in addition to the projects by Steiner and AvalonBay, the Stahl Organization is building a 378-unit condo-and-rental tower at 388 Bridge Street, and the Dermot Company is developing 326 rental apartments at 66 Rockwell Place.

The Brooklyn projects in the pipeline tend to be substantially bigger than what’s being built in Manhattan. That’s partly due to the sweeping 2004 rezoning of Downtown Brooklyn, which allowed developers to build residential towers on a scale impossible in Manhattan, where few viable development sites remain, and the ones that do exist have largely been largely picked over.

“Bigger projects are happening more and more [in Brooklyn] because of the [lower] price of dirt [compared to Manhattan] and the scale of what you can build there,” said Ken Copeland, a partner at development firm FLAnk, which is building a 200,000-square-foot residential building at 71 Smith Street in partnership with private equity firm the Carlyle Group. “Also, the city seems to be a little bit more pro-growth [in Brooklyn], allowing for [zoning] variances.”

While the flood of inventory in Brooklyn may please frustrated renters by slowing the steady uptick in rental rates, it will do little to satisfy the increasing appetite for Brooklyn condo product. “I could sell out a 30-unit building overnight at record prices if I had a building to do it with,” said David Maundrell, founder of Brooklyn-based brokerage aptsandlofts.com.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 10:31 PM
aka Studdedleather

EXCITING NEWS!!!

Today I did a normal Downtown BK scroll and wanted to capture some pix for us. The snow was so annoying so I didn't get as many shots as I hoped for but that's ok.

I can CONFIRM Avalon Willoughby West is moving forward/some action!! Today I saw the demolition happening and I spoke with one of the workers. He was pretty cool and he even showed me a new rendering of the building. I'm sorry I didn't ask if I could take a pic for you guys (I was a bit excited) but I will say it's more glassy than what we see here (more blue-ish it seemed, and nothing like the renderings we have posted. In a good way though, nothing too drastic) He also said "It's going to rise 67 floors" I don't know how true that is though. Maybe he meant 57 but I just nodded and pretended as if I didn't know anything about the building lol.

Lastly I asked him "How long do you guys think you'll be here/when should the demolition be complete?" He said their deadline was until April but it's more than likely going to be the top of May. We will see I guess, sooner is always better than later.

I was only able to capture two shots but at least it's something!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 11:01 PM
New Yorker for life

Great report, thanks.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 11:32 PM
aka Studdedleather

No problem as always

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive