HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Highrise & Supertall Proposals

1146 6th Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • New York Skyscraper Diagram
New York Projects & Construction Forum

View Full Map

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 9:32 AM
BANNED

Smile NEW YORK | 1150 6th Ave | FT | 37 FLOORS

This appears to be the midblock site between 44th and 45th Sts. It's a decent little building, but other sites on this part of 6th -- particularly on the northeast and southeast corners of 47th warrant development more than this. Hopefully, Moinian will not get control of the nice building adjacent to this on the north side.

Hopefully, Morris Moinian will aim a little higher for his project than his brother, Joseph, does.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...FTThirdStories

NY REAL ESTATE COMMERCIAL

DECEMBER 21, 2011

Moinian Wins Midtown Site

By LAURA KUSISTO

Luxury hotel developer Morris Moinian has big plans for a development site near 44th Street and Sixth Avenue in Midtown.

Mr. Moinian has purchased the Pan American Magazine Building at 1146-1150 Sixth Ave. in an off-market transaction. He plans a $140 million development, with a 35-story building of roughly 140,000 square feet that could be either a luxury hotel or office building.

Mr. Moinian also plans a major retail component for the site, at the nexus of two prime shopping districts—Times Square and Rockefeller Center. He said he would consider turning the site into a department store.

"It's a golden location," said Mr. Moinian in an interview. "Locations like this do not come by often. Even if they do come by…there is a long list of people" to buy them, Mr. Moinian said.

An Iranian immigrant, Mr. Moinian started out as an apparel manufacturer and began buying small apartment and office buildings in the 1980s, while in his 20s.

His older brother, Joseph Moinian, bought a number of trophy properties during the recent boom.

The younger Mr. Moinian has kept a lower profile, while quietly amassing a portfolio of more than 2,000 hotel rooms. In New York, he recently built the 122-room Indigo Chelsea, which is part of the Intercontinental Hotel Group, and a new boutique hotel in Hudson Square, which is presently under development.

While there has been little new development in prime Midtown spots, Houston-based Hines plans a 28-story tower overlooking Bryant Park at Sixth Avenue and 40th Street. In addition, Thor Equities' Joseph Sitt plans a mixed-use complex at Fifth Avenue and 43rd Street, which he says will be 350,000 square feet and include a retail component.

Mr. Moinian declined to disclose what he paid for the Sixth Avenue site. The property has been owned by a private real-estate family for more than 50 years.

Write to Laura Kusisto at laura.kusisto@wsj.com

Last edited by RobertWalpole; Dec 21, 2011 at 10:03 AM.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 1:23 AM

A 35 floor office building would be around 500 ft. or so, assuming the standards of recently constructed Manhattan office buildings. Maybe a little taller.

I certainly hope Moinian hires a top architect. This is a very prominent location.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 2:21 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
...with a 35-story building of roughly 140,000 square feet that could be either a luxury hotel or office building.
With that square footage, I doubt it would be 35 floors of office.

Visit New York's icon. See the City of shores. Walk the Streets of Manhattan.
The evolving skyline, NY Skyscrapers & Construction

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 5:32 AM
Yank in Tex

Amazing all the new developments continuorsly coming out of the woodwork. I praise the skyscraper gods and goddesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Mr. Moinian has purchased the Pan American Magazine Building at 1146-1150 Sixth Ave. in an off-market transaction. He plans a $140 million development, with a 35-story building of roughly 140,000 square feet that could be either a luxury hotel or office building.

Mr. Moinian also plans a major retail component for the site, at the nexus of two prime shopping districts—Times Square and Rockefeller Center.

He said he would consider turning the site into a department store.
I hope you're listening Nordstrom, this could be your golden opportunity.

BUILD IT. BUILD EVERYTHING. BUILD IT ALL.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 11:13 AM
BANNED

This building has a very small footprint, so I don't think that it can accomodate a Nordstrom.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 1:46 AM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Smile NEW YORK | 1150 6th Ave | FT | 37 FLOORS

Quote:
1150 Avenue of Americas (the Pan American Magazine building) is currently a 8-story office and retail building. Current use will maintain as such. However, the asset is also in the design and pre-development phase for a 37-story, 5-star luxury hotel that will be developed in several years.

Fortuna Realty Group

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Last edited by Hypothalamus; Mar 3, 2014 at 2:07 AM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 1:57 AM
Exhale solutions.

Nineteen Sixty Eight

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 2:50 AM

Looks like the Park Lane Hotel. Great.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 3:20 AM

I always somewhat liked PL's design (past tense because of IIRC news of its impending demolition.); but this "redux" of sorts makes it better. The top section does well in increasing the verticality. It shall remain to be seen if any of the materials used will try to not make it look dated.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 12:11 AM
The Chemist

The title should be changed to reflect the new stats (Post #6):

NEW YORK | 1150 6th Ave | FT | 37 FLOORS

Credit: Fortuna (1150 Avenue of the Americas)

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Highrise & Supertall Proposals