HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 2:53 PM
Couch-surfing provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventwenty View Post
It's a damn close perfect replacement. Out here in Boston, I have a Trader Joe's, Shaws, Stop and Shop and an Asian Market all within a 5 minute bike ride of my apartment. Which one do I frequent the most? TJs. Which one often has the cheapest prices? TJs. Granted, TJs doesn't have everything, but for my weekly groceries– Milk, OJ, bread, oatmeal, fruit, a few TV dinners, meats, veggies, snacks, etc– is has much of what I want. Now with that said, some of TJ's products aren't the tastiest– their oranges suck– but I can live with that.

Other things like toiletries or baking supplies, yeah TJs is awful at. However, for a good chunk of my groceries, it's great.
Oh yes, Shaws. I remember that place from when I lived in New Hampshire! Same with Stop and Shop, and of course Alexander's Shop and Save as well!

Anyhow, back to the point. You're right that T-J's is a good replacement for a supermarket, but only as long as you ignore things like toiletries, general household items (cleaning/laundry), pet products, the other stuff that goes into supermarkets. And while their canned/boxed/bottled foods area is okay, it's not like they have an amazing variety of stuff. It's their prepared and frozen foods that are the best, no doubt.

Aaron (Glowrock)

edit: with reference to rds70's post. 20th/Clay? Has that project been previously mentioned around here? I don't think it has!
"The three most beautiful cities in the world are Paris, St. Petersburg & Pittsburgh. If Pittsburgh were situated somewhere in the heart of Europe tourists would eagerly journey hundreds of miles out of their way to visit it." The New Yorker Jan. 9, 1989

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rds70 View Post
If the site being discussed is at 20th and Central, I would call that the northwest corner of 20th and I-25, but whatever.
I may have confused some w my description...I get my N S E W goofed up in this area even though I've lived in RFP for 4 years! The one I was referencing does indeed appear to be part of the CDOT/City of Denver project.

That Rapids project does look pretty cool, I wonder if it will ever get out of the ground? For a 3 unit structure I would imagine the sales price per unit would have to be north of 1 mill?

Thanks for the input guys.

Prost!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
Oh yes, Shaws. I remember that place from when I lived in New Hampshire! Same with Stop and Shop, and of course Alexander's Shop and Save as well!

Anyhow, back to the point. You're right that T-J's is a good replacement for a supermarket, but only as long as you ignore things like toiletries, general household items (cleaning/laundry), pet products, the other stuff that goes into supermarkets. And while their canned/boxed/bottled foods area is okay, it's not like they have an amazing variety of stuff. It's their prepared and frozen foods that are the best, no doubt.

Aaron (Glowrock)

edit: with reference to rds70's post. 20th/Clay? Has that project been previously mentioned around here? I don't think it has!
Yeh one of the guys that doesnt post here often mentioned it. I think there was a rumor they were going to tear down the VQ hotel or something.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octavian View Post
Do you have a link to the EA? I think you can see the underground train in the background of this Calatrava rendering.

Here is a daytime rendering of the new design.

Thanks for posting all of those! I do like this design, in fact I think I even like it better than the old Caltrava design. I was worried about the glass canopy area being open at the building facade, but it looks from those additional renderings that's it is closed.

The thing with these renderings, is that they show the glass translucent...however this is a hotel, which means every window will have curtains in various states of being open or closed, which drastically changes how these elevations will look. I don't know why they never show that.
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 5:17 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

I would still like to see a regular old daytime aerial rendering that shows the new hotel alongside the existing terminal. Anybody? It's wasn't part of the press release packet.

It is pretty sharp-looking in that rendering (minus the snow, ech).

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
I would still like to see a regular old daytime aerial rendering that shows the new hotel alongside the existing terminal. Anybody? It's wasn't part of the press release packet.

It is pretty sharp-looking in that rendering (minus the snow, ech).
Why are u hating on snow????

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 8:33 PM

Urban Chic... Good or Bad?

Is this what Denver is missing? Parking elegance?

A rendering of the ultramodern Collins Park garage in Miami Beach, Fla.
Rendering: Zaha Hadid Architects

Herzog & de Meuron's garage worthy of a party in Miami.
Photo: Alberto Tamargo/MBeach1, LLLP

The stylish Sunset Harbour garage in Miami.
Photo: Arquitectonica

This parking garage at the New World Center in Miami is appropriately artistic.
Photo: New World Symphony
http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/th...g-garages.html

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Seriously? Can you link to more details on that?

That's the first of heard of a new station for the train. Improvements to the train, more tail track/crossover, yes. But I haven't heard anything about a station.

EDIT: Reading the EA now. Sure enough, 24-gate passenger concourse and return loop. Wow, nobody's ever talked about, in the media, or on here, I don't think. The "program overview facts" page doesn't mention it. It only mentions a vague "terminal interface." And I can only find one reference to it in the EA (in the emissions section), in a presentation slideshow.

The description of the project only mentions the train twice at all, here:

The RTD station would also provide space for the Automated Guideway Transit System (AGTS) serving Jeppesen Terminal so it could be extended through the Rail Station, at a different level.

and here:

The current AGTS would be extended 130 feet to the south of the Jeppesen Terminal and a crossover switch would be provided to improve operational efficiency.

Odd that something relatively major to how passengers move in/around the airport would get so little attention. I wonder if that's a future provision? It seems like if the passenger concourse were being built today, it would get more than one off-hand reference. But either way, neat.

Okay, who's got plans? Anybody have them readily accessible, before I go looking?

Now that I think of it, when they had that big box over the old fountain in the middle of the terminal, it had a description of the work being done and said something about how the fountain had to be removed to make way for expansion of the tram that goes to the concourses.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Is this what Denver is missing? Parking elegance?

If you want to see a "fancy" local parking structure, go check out the one being built at the NREL campus. Full steel canopy over the top deck with solar panels, and the entire south side is covered in solar panels too. The rest of the structure has a steel 'screen' skin over it.

There are ways to make them look nice...for a price.
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 9:59 PM
don't listen to 720

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Is this what Denver is missing?
No.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 10:05 PM

One Vote....

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngiNerd View Post
If you want to see a "fancy" local parking structure, go check out the one being built at the NREL campus. Full steel canopy over the top deck with solar panels, and the entire south side is covered in solar panels too. The rest of the structure has a steel 'screen' skin over it.

There are ways to make them look nice...for a price.
Thnx.... You're right: http://haselden.com/projects/parking...ingressegress/

From a construction/architectural/engineering POV, I'd never seen this, it's way interesting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43dT6...layer_embedded

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 11:09 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

I'm holding out for the 20-story automated mechanical parking structure that's slated to go alongside our planned space elevator project.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 11:15 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
I'm holding out for the 20-story automated mechanical parking structure that's slated to go alongside our planned space elevator project.
Wait, isn't that supposed to go in Pueblo when it's named the Earth's capital?

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 11:25 PM
don't listen to 720

Just Earth? Surely the Martian and Lunar colonies will be within Pueblo's sphere of influence too.

Actually, that would make sense. The landscape is pretty similar.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngiNerd View Post
Thanks for posting all of those! I do like this design, in fact I think I even like it better than the old Caltrava design. I was worried about the glass canopy area being open at the building facade, but it looks from those additional renderings that's it is closed.

The thing with these renderings, is that they show the glass translucent...however this is a hotel, which means every window will have curtains in various states of being open or closed, which drastically changes how these elevations will look. I don't know why they never show that.
It actually looks to me like it will be open at the building facade.

As for the glass, the solution would be to use highly reflective glass.

If we can't use white, what about going 180 opposite and using black glass like the modern art museum?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 4:45 PM

This is pretty random, but Google maps updated their Denver maps to the 45 degree angle. The images are very recent and pretty cool.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 6:07 PM

Thanks for the heads-up! Its very recent, look at the Union Station area...they even have a 4-car LRT in the new station, and DaVita HQ building is pretty tall there.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 7:22 PM

Nice find, I didn't know they were switching to a 45 degree view. Boulder was updated too. I can see my car outside my place. I moved here in late Aug so the imagery must be from Sep or Oct, trees and grass are still pretty green.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 9:29 PM

Is Vail's Pain, Denver's Gain?

The so-far mild winter has presumably been great for construction crews in the Metro area. February and March, obviously, are still ahead.

Good news for transit, construction on Union Station and the heading towards the finish line West light rail line. A plug for Ryan Mulligan who recently did a nice update of the "urban" portion at DenverUrbanism:
http://denverurbanism.com/

While you can count on (at least) one good spring snow storm, it will be fun to see a couple of the pending projects actually break ground. Who's first?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West