HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Closed Thread

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 4:36 PM

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverPoke View Post
Thanks!!

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awholeparade View Post
Ken, you're letting people write headlines with "RiNo" on your blog now?!?!

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 6:28 PM
Tells Cirrus what to do.

More on the "Airport City" mentioned pages ago:

Quote:
City leaders have long considered the prospects for developing the vast acreage surrounding DIA, and now it appears a plan is finally taking shape, based on the map obtained by The Denver Post.
Known as "airport city," the 9,419 acres owned by DIA would be part of the larger "aerotropolis," a new urban design around the airport that Denver Mayor Michael Hancock says is critical for attracting new businesses to the region.
Hancock plans to unveil the complete airport-city plan in late April at the Airport Cities World Conference.

The current land-use map is by no means the finished product, said Kim Day, DIA's aviation manager.
"It's just a concept," Day said. "We're a long way from having a zoning plan or designation of land uses.

He also wants to lead a group of business and media people to Las Colinas, Texas, just east of Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, to see a shining example of an aerotropolis. The community is the global headquarters of four Fortune 500 companies and 2,000 other companies, as well as upscale residential, shopping, hotel and recreational complexes.

"Corporate America doesn't come until they've got a place for their workforce to live and be happy," said Cal Fulenwider, president of the company.
Hancock said noise will not be an issue for residents in the area because the closest homes to the airport will be 3.5 miles away.
http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_20046541

While this developmental sprawl isn't unexpected (look at O'hare and DFW and how the city came to the airport), we built DIA way out east to have an expandable airport and to avoid noise issues. Also, St. Louis just had their aerotropolis flop. Of course, you could use Memphis as an example of an aerotropolis ::shudders::

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 8:46 PM
mmmm... infillicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octavian View Post
Ken, you're letting people write headlines with "RiNo" on your blog now?!?!
I can live with RiNo. But if I see a "LoHi", heads will roll.

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverInfill View Post
I can live with RiNo. But if I see a "LoHi", heads will roll.
LOHI, lOHI, LoHI, LOhI, LOHi, LoHi!!!!!!

Come on, look how pretty it is in all it's capitalized iterations!!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 5:32 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventwenty View Post
More on the "Airport City" mentioned pages ago:

http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_20046541
For those who didn't click on seven's link, I give you... drumroll... suspense... AEROTROPOLIS:

Actually, if seventwenty hadn't already posted it, I was going to open a new thread for this. AEROTROPOLIS is our future. We are all Denver!

EDIT: I get a kick out of "wildlife viewing area." More like traffic viewing area. Personally, I think it's about time to remove the eastbound off-ramp at Tower Road, which has just turned Pena into a toll-free on direction shortcut for the folks living up in Commerce City II. I get that it was meant as a return for folks utilizing the hotels/businesses on Tower, who may have wanted to take an excursion into Denver-proper. But we've got an exit at 56th for that now. Maybe a future north/eastbound only ramp at 64th, even. But we've got to do a better job of protecting Pena from becoming just another commuter artery for folks who are definitely not Denver.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 6:44 PM
Ground Scraper

I fail to see what is so visionary about this. How's this different than any other airport-adjacent development plan in just about any city in the world with an airport within the last 50 years?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 6:49 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
I fail to see what is so visionary about this. How's this different than any other airport-adjacent development plan in just about any city in the world with an airport within the last 50 years?
Those were accidents of proximity, unorganized, more of the status quo.

This. Is. Aerotropolis! The one. The only. The future.

(It's really hard to add that sort of dramatic flair in words.)

Does anybody else see some problems with the FAA on the cover of that book?

To understand where Mayor Hancock is coming from, I think you really have to have that picture above sitting in front of you, while humming the "monorail" song to yourself, all the while remembering that your reality is Green Valley Ranch. Then you can understand why imagining aerotropolis would be so appealing. Unfortunately, the reality looks more like this:

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 1:12 AM
Tells Cirrus what to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
The only visionary thing about this the airport will have more NIMBYS around it. Other than that, this plan makes little sense to me.

First, If Denver actually pursues an Aerotropolis, that means the Denver metro area has four areas for business development: Downtown, DTC, Broomfield and DIA. That's a recipe for sprawl. Granted DIA's supposed to be more industrial oriented (and the airplane construction part makes me laugh. Denver's 2 most recent airplane makers, Adams Aircraft and JavJet avoided DIA b/c of the landing fees, construction costs, lack of hangar space, not to mention the FAA and assembly plant wouldn't like to share the same set of runways. Also, both no longer exist, at least in Colorado), and elements such as renewable energy sites make sense. However, the article analogizes DIA with DFW, with the latter's Fortune 500 companies being the blueprint for the former. That leads me to wonder, where does Denver want to Develop? Wouldn't an approach that concentrates on one, central location be more attractive? Also, if you try to develop too many places at once, will you do any of them well?

Second, an aerotropolis, in all honestly, is going to be full of warehouses so companies can move cargo quickly to a plane. Think Memphis, Louisville, and to a lesser extent Indianapolis. I think Incheon, SK wants to do the same with Seoul-Incheon airport. That's all fine, but DIA has the "Worldport," which has been empty since forever. The map above also shows the "cargo-runway," the southernmost E/W runway. As it stands, when planes take off to the north, cargo-planes currently have a quick jog to the runways to take off, but they have a long taxi after landing. The opposite holds true when the wind is from the south. The E/W runway could cut down on taxi times, but there is no need for it, and I doubt it would be the next runway built. Denver has a healthy cargo market, but domestic cargo is well served by the current Fedex and UPS hubs.

Finally, maybe as an intermodal hub, DIA could be an aerotropolis. Rail and seaports and rail and airports make sense in other cities. However, BNSF and UP use tracks that do not currently go to or really all that near DIA. The planned super rail hub on the eastern plains, in addition to being very expensive to build, also isn't very near the airport. Also, what purpose does a mid-continent intermodal air-rail hub serve? One at a port city makes sense, because a train cannot cross an ocean. Denver? It takes, what, 18 hours more to get freight to Chicago by rail than by air? What about trucks? This option does not make economic sense, as items that need to be sent by air will be sent the whole way by air.

So, why have this policy again?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 1:40 AM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Here's a tasty Monday treat. 18th and Marion.. Caught it peeking over some buildings when I was heading out of work.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 2:08 AM
Couch-surfing provider

^^^

New St. Joseph's Medical Center starting to go up?

Aaron (Glowrock)
"The three most beautiful cities in the world are Paris, St. Petersburg & Pittsburgh. If Pittsburgh were situated somewhere in the heart of Europe tourists would eagerly journey hundreds of miles out of their way to visit it." The New Yorker Jan. 9, 1989

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 6:33 PM
Ground Scraper

Bunt, that Aeroptropolis cover looks pretty ridiculous.

Does anyone know what the construction schedules are for the DUS wing buildings? The south (or is it west) wing building site prep began first, but the north (or is it east) wing site prep is really not far behind. Are they looking to construct these at the same time? what about that bridge over the tracks at 18th? Is that being done later?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 7:16 PM

City House is in the review process. Seems like everyone wants to be in the apartment/rental business these days (or in 2-5 years when const on these places is complete) I really wish they could have swung the original 23 story building instead of this 5 story Manhattan PH III aparment project.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverfrontbrewer View Post
City House is in the review process. Seems like everyone wants to be in the apartment/rental business these days (or in 2-5 years when const on these places is complete) I really wish they could have swung the original 23 story building instead of this 5 story Manhattan PH III aparment project.
I agree. It would seem that in the quintessential "transit neighborhood" in Denver, with very limited space in which to build, a developer would want to maximize their little chunk of land by building as densely as possible. To knock a 23 story building down to only five stories seems pretty shortsighted and not at all what this neighborhood will demand in the coming years. Go figure...

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 7:47 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
I agree. It would seem that in the quintessential "transit neighborhood" in Denver, with very limited space in which to build, a developer would want to maximize their little chunk of land by building as densely as possible. To knock a 23 story building down to only five stories seems pretty shortsighted and not at all what this neighborhood will demand in the coming years. Go figure...
This could be a case of necessity. E/W has to meet certain deadlines in purchasing parcels at Union Station and may have a liquidity problem. Selling a less desirable parcel, since they still own a number of them in the area in some much more desirable spots, to a multi-family developer for some quick cash would be one way of solving the problem. E/W has always seemed to be land rich but cash poor, and I bet that is even more true today.

Given the ownership of the parcels on the block bordered by 18th, 19th, Chestnut, and the LRT tracks I could envision a project similar to what the Nichols Partnership has proposed for 20th & Chestnut; a five story apartment block with a future parcel reserved for a mid-rise development.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Last edited by wong21fr; Feb 28, 2012 at 8:05 PM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 8:40 PM
Tells Cirrus what to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverfrontbrewer View Post

A few pages ago, Bunt provided many links concerning public resources on Denver development. Where would I find info about what developmental stage a development site is in?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 9:22 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

You can check proposed plans here:

http://www.denvergov.org/development...1/Default.aspx

But, the only plan review for the Cityhouse parcel was completed in 2007 when it was proposed as condos. There are no updates regarding this apartment proposal.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 2:50 AM

Things have been a little quite in this thread. I will give you something to discuss:

www.denver-cityscape.com

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 3:25 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Hmm, a lesson perhaps in how zoning drives building form?

This proposal:

Sugar Cubed, a block down:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West