HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 10:32 PM
Ground Scraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
office depot will be a HUGE loss to DT if it does not find a new location...it stays busy and is a lifesaver....surely there is another space DT it can go in? first floor of tryba's buiding near DUS is available still.
What was the story about them not moving across the street anymore?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 10:36 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
What was the story about them not moving across the street anymore?
They never were going to move across the street. Sage agreed to find them a new location, but it was never specified where that might be. I believe that one idea was for them to move to a location at Broadway and 8th with plenty of parking.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 2:45 AM
Couch-surfing provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
They never were going to move across the street. Sage agreed to find them a new location, but it was never specified where that might be. I believe that one idea was for them to move to a location at Broadway and 8th with plenty of parking.
Yeah, that'd be just perfect... While the current building is a hideous underuse of valuable land, Office Depot is a very important part of Downtown Denver, and it's something that's used very heavily by local employers and employees alike. It's important that a location can be found somewhere downtown to house it, even if it's a smaller floorplan, or perhaps a two or three-level store? How about the long-vacated California St. Food Court?

Aaron (Glowrock)
"The three most beautiful cities in the world are Paris, St. Petersburg & Pittsburgh. If Pittsburgh were situated somewhere in the heart of Europe tourists would eagerly journey hundreds of miles out of their way to visit it." The New Yorker Jan. 9, 1989

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 4:28 AM

This is not necessarily the best place to put this, but I am posting it here anyway:

Denver was the fastest growing county in the state last year by numerical increase - by far.

Denver added 16,528 people between July 2010 and July 2011. The population estimate was 619,968. The next biggest increase was El Paso County at 9,804. The usually fastest growing Douglas County added only 5,183 people.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 9:39 AM
Robotic Construction

I thought two similar colors, do match. Do 12 year old girls, know something I don't?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 1:20 PM
Couch-surfing provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rds70 View Post
This is not necessarily the best place to put this, but I am posting it here anyway:

Denver was the fastest growing county in the state last year by numerical increase - by far.

Denver added 16,528 people between July 2010 and July 2011. The population estimate was 619,968. The next biggest increase was El Paso County at 9,804. The usually fastest growing Douglas County added only 5,183 people.
Excellent! Even knowing full-well most of the growth is in Stapleton (okay) or Green Valley Ranch (not so much!), it's still very nice to see Denver as a city continuing to grow!

Aaron (Glowrock)
"The three most beautiful cities in the world are Paris, St. Petersburg & Pittsburgh. If Pittsburgh were situated somewhere in the heart of Europe tourists would eagerly journey hundreds of miles out of their way to visit it." The New Yorker Jan. 9, 1989

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 1:48 PM

The even better news is that this is part of a national trend. http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=198657

NPR did a story on it two days ago as well, saying that inner cities are outpacing the growth of their own suburbs all across the country. Of course high gas prices and the continued effects of the mortgage meltdown are partly to blame (or credit in this case), so it may not yet be a reliable trend. Still, it's extremely exciting to think that the majority of American urban growth right now isn't contributing to continued sprawl, at least for now.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 3:04 PM
Ground Scraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnyderBock View Post
I thought two similar colors, do match. Do 12 year old girls, know something I don't?
All I know is that those two shades of red brick don't go together. Maybe on a hipster but, not on a building. The dark brick contrasts with the red brick (which is darker than the original) a lot better.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 3:33 PM
of Gnomeregan

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
Yeah, that'd be just perfect... While the current building is a hideous underuse of valuable land, Office Depot is a very important part of Downtown Denver, and it's something that's used very heavily by local employers and employees alike. It's important that a location can be found somewhere downtown to house it, even if it's a smaller floorplan, or perhaps a two or three-level store? How about the long-vacated California St. Food Court?

Aaron (Glowrock)
Why not the old Virgin Megastore space...

It's hard not to judge a book by its cover when all the pages are blank.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 4:17 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainpathology View Post
Why not the old Virgin Megastore space...
Too small on account of Forever 21 taking half of that old space for their flagship store. The problem with trying to relocate the Office Depot elsewhere DT is that there simply isn't any large block of retail space suitable for such a large retailer. No one has built anything with large, continuous retail floor spaces (in the 20K to 40K sq ft range) and the appropriate loading docks asides from the Pavilions in the last thirty years.

DT Denver is desperate for some larger-scale retail options.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 6:02 PM

I'm sure these sorts of plans are subject to change any time until the start of construction, but I seem to remember seeing a floor plan on here a while back of the Union Station redevelopment buildings along Wewatta showing exactly that type of large-floorplate retail on the ground floor. Even if not, it seems like it would be pretty easy for one of the developers down there to design a ground floor like that if Office Depot was actively looking for such a space. You would think it would help the developer's bottom line better than letting the smaller retail spaces sit empty for years and years while waiting for activity in the area to pick up, like we've seen happen in 1900 16th.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 7:29 PM
don't listen to 720

Quote:
Denver was the fastest growing county in the state last year by numerical increase - by far. Denver added 16,528 people between July 2010 and July 2011... The usually fastest growing Douglas County added only 5,183 people.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 7:54 PM
Couch-surfing provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Too small on account of Forever 21 taking half of that old space for their flagship store. The problem with trying to relocate the Office Depot elsewhere DT is that there simply isn't any large block of retail space suitable for such a large retailer. No one has built anything with large, continuous retail floor spaces (in the 20K to 40K sq ft range) and the appropriate loading docks asides from the Pavilions in the last thirty years.

DT Denver is desperate for some larger-scale retail options.
I was wondering about that space as well, wong. I was thinking the old Virgin Megastore might have been a great spot! So, what about the former Wolf Camera over at 16th/California? Is much of it still vacant? As I said earlier, I wonder how large a space the former California St. Food Court is? could it possibly be large enough? Or would Office Depot agree to relocate into a 2 or 3 story floorplan? Something can probably be done to make that happen, since I definitely agree that 30-40k sf floorplans aren't common around downtown!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 8:10 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
"...as economic realities boost city living's appeal."

So, as excited as I am about these trends, just like the rest of us... there is something to lament here also. It's not just that preferences are changing, it's that we are now TOO POOR to afford the suburban model.

My preference would be that Americans choose urban living willingly, but remain economically vital (read: richer than everybody else). Not be forced into more-efficient urban living by Brazilian wages...

But hey, whatever.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
I was wondering about that space as well, wong. I was thinking the old Virgin Megastore might have been a great spot! So, what about the former Wolf Camera over at 16th/California? Is much of it still vacant? As I said earlier, I wonder how large a space the former California St. Food Court is? could it possibly be large enough? Or would Office Depot agree to relocate into a 2 or 3 story floorplan? Something can probably be done to make that happen, since I definitely agree that 30-40k sf floorplans aren't common around downtown!

Aaron (Glowrock)
The wolf camera store is completely vacant 16.3k. The two levels of the food court are completely vacant and each level is about 15k. What's left of the old Virgin is 14.3k.

All new standard format office depots are 15-17k. The small format office depots that they just started implementing over the past few months are 5k.

What I am curious about regarding Office Depot is if they move the Office Depot more towards Colfax will they close the one on Colfax in order to avoid cannibalization? If they close the colfax office depot will they sell that site to a developer? Or will they just go with their new small format somewhere on the lodo side of 16th? Or will they close down the dt office depot entirely?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 1:45 AM
Couch-surfing provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobg View Post
The wolf camera store is completely vacant 16.3k. The two levels of the food court are completely vacant and each level is about 15k. What's left of the old Virgin is 14.3k.

All new standard format office depots are 15-17k. The small format office depots that they just started implementing over the past few months are 5k.

What I am curious about regarding Office Depot is if they move the Office Depot more towards Colfax will they close the one on Colfax in order to avoid cannibalization? If they close the colfax office depot will they sell that site to a developer? Or will they just go with their new small format somewhere on the lodo side of 16th? Or will they close down the dt office depot entirely?
Then it's easy. Just build two smaller-format stores on opposite sides of Downtown! Seriously, one in the former Wolf Camera space, and one perhaps somewhere within LoDo/Ballpark/Union Station area...

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 3:56 AM

In light of the reported Denver growth, I thought I would update the list of multifamily projects in the central city. The numbers are amazing to me:

Under construction:

* Highland Bridge Lofts - 130 units
* CorePower Yoga Apartments - 126 units
* 2020 Lawrence - 231 units
* Manhattan Apartments Phase 2 - 134 units
* Prospect on Central - 57 units
* RiNo Center Apartments - 205 units
* Denargo Market Phase 1 - 301 units
* The Logan - 57 units

Total - 1,241 units

In building permit review:

* AMLI Riverfront - 242 units
* 2120 Blake - 160 units
* Cadence - 219 units
* 2300 Walnut - 310 units
* 2785 Speer - 332 units
* 777 Emerson - 38 units
* 2828 Zuni - 105 units
* 1490 Delgany - 285 units
* 19th and Logan - 292 units
* 255 S. Cherokee - 335 units
* South Lincoln Phase 2 - 93 units

Total - 2,411 units

Planned:

* 20th and Chestnut - 312 units
* Alta CityHouse - 282 units
* 16th and Wewatta - 300 units
* 15th and Little Raven Senior - 200 units
* 22nd and Stout - 78 units
* 1250 Cherokee - 289 units
* 1350 16th Street - 47 units

Total - 1,508 units

GRAND TOTAL - 5,160 units

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 5:01 AM

Quote:
In light of the reported Denver growth, I thought I would update the list of multifamily projects in the central city. The numbers are amazing to me:

Under construction:

* The Logan - 57 units

Total - 1,241 units

* 2120 Blake - 160 units
* Cadence - 219 units
* 2785 Speer - 332 units
* 777 Emerson - 38 units
* 2828 Zuni - 105 units

Total - 2,411 units

Planned:

Total - 1,508 units

Holy shit! Now let's see which ones make it out of the ground!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 5:15 AM

Quote:
In light of the reported Denver growth, I thought I would update the list of multifamily projects in the central city. The numbers are amazing to me.

I wonder what this equates to in population density.. Roughly 8000 people or so..? Figure 1.5 people per residence. That's a small city moving within Denver.

On a side note, our we outpacing the building boom of several years ago? Sure seems like it in residential units.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 5:58 PM

Quote:

Under construction:

* The Logan - 57 units

Total - 1,241 units

* 2120 Blake - 160 units
* Cadence - 219 units
* 2785 Speer - 332 units
* 777 Emerson - 38 units
* 2828 Zuni - 105 units

Total - 2,411 units

Planned:

Total - 1,508 units

Wow, but there are even more. There is land recently scraped and fenced for another 70 units project at approx. 18th and Boulder in Lower Highlands - kinda sits behind Prospect on Central. Anyone know the facts about that one?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West