Port Weller is a neighborhood at the northeastern end of St. Catharines. The neighborhood is known for being the northern terminus of the Welland Canal. Previously, the Welland Canal terminated at the nearby Port Dalhousie neighborhood to the west.
Port Weller is named for John Weller, an engineer of the first Welland Canal. The community was previously known as Lower Ten, for being below the Niagara Escarpment on Ten Mile Creek.
Like other neighborhoods along the lakeshore in St. Catharines, Port Weller's shoreline offers nice views of Toronto on the other side of the lake.
The Mississauga skyline can also be seen from Port Weller.
The distance between Port Weller and Toronto, as the crow flies, is only 30 miles, or 49 kilometers.
Looking west along the municipal beach towards St. Catharines' North End and Port Dalhousie neighborhoods.
The Port Dalhousie Front Range Lighthouse, built in 1879 and marking the old entrance to the Welland Canal, is visible in the distance at the Port Dalhousie and Michigan Beach neighborhoods.
The Niagara Escarpment travels along the southern shore of Lake Ontario until it continue northwest beyond Hamilton. The Escarpment can be seen from many cities along Lake Ontario.
A house on Bogart Street.
The Port Weller Community Centre, on Bogart Street.
A house on Wildwood Road.
A house on Cumberland Street.
Houses on Lombardy Avenue.
Houses on Northglen Avenue.
A house on Arthur Street.
A house on Arthur Street, with Club LaSalle behind and down the hill.
Near the foot of Arthur Street is Garden City Beach, a public beach. Toronto can be seen straight ahead from where beachgoers lounge.
Toronto's skyline provides a nice vista when lounging on the beach.
The Escarpment is also visible from the Garden City Beach.
Cottages off of Arthur Street.
A convenience store on Arthur Street.
Not all of Port Weller is post-war housing. Former farmhouses, like this one on Arthur Street can be found occasionally along main roads.
Houses on Arthur Street.
The Port Weller Dry Dock, from Charles A. Ansell Park. The dry dock is were laker ships are repaired.
The Dry Docks, location of the Upper Lakes Marine & Industrial Inc., were established in 1947. Before that, the site was constructed in the 1930s as a dry dock for canal equipment.
Welland Canal Bridge 1, carrying Lakeshore Road across the canal towards Niagara-On-The-Lake.
Lock 2 of the Welland Canal, with a ship ready to descepnd down to one of the final sections of the channel before heading out into Lake Ontario.
Lock 1 of the fourth Welland Canal, which brings ships coming from the Welland Canal down to Lake Ontario's water level.
The Port Weller Lighthouse, at the end of Welland Canals Parkway on the western pier in Lake Ontario. The light tower was built in 1931 and marks the northern terminus of the Welland Canal. This terminus of the canal opened to traffic in 1932.