HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Hub in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 12:35 PM
New Yorker for life

Smile NEW YORK | The Hub (333 Schermehorn) | 607 FT | 44 FLOORS

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj

Brooklyn's Shifting Center

By JOSEPH DE AVILA
Feb 13, 2012

Quote:

New York's Steiner family is planning a 52-story rental apartment tower on a gritty block in downtown Brooklyn in what would be the latest expansion of residential development in the borough beyond its traditional boundaries.

The family, which is best known for developing a Hollywood-scale studio in the Brooklyn Navy Yard, is moving forward with a building that would include about 720 units and 50,000 square feet of store space. The Steiners acquired the bulk of the site, at the intersection of Schermerhorn and Flatbush avenues, for $30 million in November, and plan to break ground early next year at the latest.

Douglas Steiner, who runs the business with his father David, said in an interview that they are prepared to make a $100 million equity investment into a project that would cost $325 million to $350 million. The Steiners also are seeking about $250 million in financing through the state's "80/20" subsidized housing program. The program requires that rents of 20% of the units be affordable to people with moderate income.

While it's been slowed by the downturn, large-scale residential development in downtown Brooklyn has been breaking out of its traditional neighborhoods like Brooklyn Heights and Park Slope over the past decade. The Steiners' project, which they've named the Hub, would continue this trend. Despite its proximity to the Brooklyn Academy of Music, the site today consists of undeveloped lots and low-rise buildings, one of which houses a New York state parole office. Other properties on the block include bodegas and a shoe-repair shop.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 12:44 PM

Wow that actually looks great, Great news for Bklyn. I hope this starts a trend for high rise architecture downtown.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 12:51 PM
New Yorker for life

Here's another look at it...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 1:29 PM

I think it's quite a unique proposal, if somewhat ungainly... the crown does a lot to mitigate another MiMA-like bore.

Any integrity the Williamsburg Savings Bank Building had is now gone, btw... gorgeous in its own right but imminently overshadowed by at least three new residential towers. Any argument for height limits for the neighborhood should be moot.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 3:11 PM
BANNED

I like it, but sadly, there's a nice old building on the site that will be razed for this.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 4:08 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
I like it, but sadly, there's a nice old building on the site that will be razed for this.
It's the cycle of (skyscraper) life

Plus Brooklyn gets a skyscraper.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 4:19 PM

Great news.

I'm sure many would disagree with me, but I think that the Barclay's Arena is going to have a tremendous positive impact on the immediate area. This is just an example...

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 4:31 PM

Render looks decent. I agree that it resembles the first renders of Mima. So it looks like the three tallest buildings in Brooklyn will soon be all U/C, if all goes well.

Only a matter of time before Brooklyn gets a real standout, skyline centerpiece type of tower. Great news!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 6:16 PM
BANNED

This is a nice tower. I like how the roof steps downward and culiminates in a crown. I like how the sides progessively bulge out.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
This is a nice tower. I like how the roof steps downward and culiminates in a crown. I like how the sides progessively bulge out.
Agreed, I like this one as well. Unfortunately we might have to wait until 2013 to see it start rising...

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 10:55 PM
World Machine

Great news for the ever-growing Brooklyn - the design looks interesting.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 3:24 AM

Ohhhh... Great news for Brooklyn. I hope soon to have more projects for this area of the city.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 4:45 AM

Hopefully this will pass 600 ft.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
Hopefully this will pass 600 ft.
The tower looks like it would be roughly 600' even based on the renders, given it has 52 floors and ~10 'floors' of roof element on top. Enough to definitely make an impact, but hopefully not enough to stand out in a decade...

Don't forget the CityPoint development as well as the Metro Tech Tower... I think it is quite likely Brooklyn sees something in the 1000ft range before 2020 and I also think it's likely that such a building will be residential or mixed-use, definitely not strictly office.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 11:03 PM
DENNAB

Mmmm Brooklyn with a supertall, such a wonderful thought, these 600 footers being planed are a start though.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 11:33 PM

Off topic, but Brooklyn did have a super-tall proposal a few years back. The City Tech Tower. Originally it was planned to have reached 1,200 feet, but then it was cut down to 1,000 feet to save cost, and then it was canceled altogether thanks to NIMBY's. The NIMBY's complained about this building taking the crown from the Williamsburg Savings Bank, and other NIMBY's complained about the future noise from construction and dust. It killed the tower.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=187707

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Tech_Tower

Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
The NIMBY's complained about this building taking the crown from the Williamsburg Savings Bank, and other NIMBY's complained about the future noise from construction and dust. It killed the tower.
NIMBYs had nothing to do with the cancellation of the tower. The tower was cancelled when City Tech (landowner) and Ratner (developer) couldn't come to agreement. NIMBYs couldn't do anything anyways, since the tower was as-of-right.

Also, there was no redesign of the tower. There was a single proposal, which never advanced beyond the conceptual stage.

And a tower is still planned, at some later date. Will likely be a different design, though.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 1:42 AM
DENNAB

That's really sad about that building, but Brooklyn is booming and we should see another proposal eventually.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 4:04 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories..._02_17_bk.html

High-end high-rise planned on Flatbush

By Kate Briquelet
Feb 14, 2012

Quote:
He has a background in real estate and a name linked with entertainment, but the developer behind the borough’s newest proposed luxury high-rise says he’s no Donald Trump — and he’s not building a garish, Trump-like tower. Douglas Steiner insists his proposed 720-unit, 52-story rental building, which could begin rising at the corner of Flatbush Avenue and Schermerhorn Street early next year, will offer Brooklyn a refined, modern skyscraper that “will be more interesting than the typical rental box."

“I’m the anti-Trump, starting with the hair,” said Steiner, who along with running the development company Steiner NYC oversees the Navy Yard movie lot Steiner Studios. “Nothing we do is gaudy but has an industrial and clean aesthetic.”

One story taller than Lawrence Street’s The Brooklyner, the borough’s highest building, and just steps away from the Barclays Center and the historic 37-story Willamsburgh Savings Bank tower, the planned $325-million high-rise — called “The Hub” — could reshape the borough’s skyline.

But Steiner says his design of masonry and glass will pay tribute to the nearby Williamsburgh Savings Bank — Brooklyn’s answer to Manhattan skyscrapers — with a series of architectural setbacks.
“We didn’t want to build a monolith,” said Steiner, who also owns 58 and 80 Metropolitan, a condo project in Williamsburg, and 25 Washington Ave., an extension of Steiner Studios.

The development is slated to replace a state parole office and set of low-rise properties.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 4:15 PM
don't *meddle*...

Still waiting for a 700 footer but we're slowly getting there...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive