HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 1:22 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

There's zero chance the city can replace as many units as Airbnb is taking away.

Zero.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 3:56 AM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
There's zero chance the city can replace as many units as Airbnb is taking away.

Zero.
Not necessarily. More study needed. For example, during the summer I am an Airbnb host of a guest suite in my basement. Believe me, I am not withholding housing from the rental market. There are a lot of Portland Airbnb hosts that are doing the same.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 5:53 AM

It's hard to measure. There are a lot of hotel projects in the works at the moment. If air bnb policy was more leanient, there would be more of them and maybe a few of those hotel projects would be housing instead. may or may not be true, but who knows?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 6:05 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamUrbanist View Post
It's hard to measure.
Indeed it is, but all you have to do is start clicking through listings and you'll see many that have review after review for July 2017, July 2017, July 2017, July 2017, June 2017, June 2017, June 2017, June 2017, June 2017, June 2017, June 2017, June 2017, June 2017, June 2017, June 2017... etc etc etc... which means there's no way somebody actually lives there.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2017, 7:39 AM
A before E

Quote:
Indeed it is, but all you have to do is start clicking through listings and you'll see many that have review after review for July 2017, July 2017, July 2017, July 2017, June 2017, June 2017, June 2017, June 2017, June 2017, June 2017, June 2017, June 2017, June 2017, June 2017, June 2017... etc etc etc... which means there's no way somebody actually lives there.
That still doesn't mean it would be a rental if it wasn't an AirBnB unit. I have a friend that has a bedroom in his house that is available bedroom on AirBnB, but he has never had any plans to rent out the room as a rental because it is basically his guest room.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2017, 1:28 PM

Quote:
How so? I rent out my basement to airbnb guests almost nonstop. I live in the upstairs. I hear other airbnb hosts are super busy this summer as well. If not airbnb, I wouldn't bother with a renter. I did that for 9 years.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2017, 5:27 PM

My sister and I own our childhood home in NE which we inherited when our mom passed away last week. We now rent that house out.

She lives in California, I live in Norway. We really want to maintain ties to the Portland area and want a place to call our own.

Our solution is to build an ADU where the unused garage currently stands. We'll probably use it 6 weeks out of the year and rent it out the rest of the time through airbnb or to students who won't use it in the summer. For people traveling with children short term rentals are a godsend since you can get a couple of bedrooms, a living room and a kitchen for a heck of a lot less than it costs to rent a suite in some sterile hotel. We've done it many times in many cities. It's nice to live in a neighborhood and not a business district and to live in a dwelling with some soul.

If it weren't for airbnb we wouldn't even consider it and the bank obviously wouldn't lend us money to build it. We're not big scale investors but this project will give work to both architects and other tradespeople.

My point is that the short term rental market can be very nuanced and isn't necessarily taking away units from other uses.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 7:51 PM

Are there future plans for residential buildings around the Clinton St/SE 12th MAX station? I did some Orange Line exploring this weekend and couldn't help but think that station is a little useless at the time being. Residents on the north side of the tracks are prevented from accessing the station if a freight train is going by and the land in the immediate vicinity to the south of the station is a fire fighting training facility and run down industrial buildings. There is certainly a lot of potential there though.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Are there future plans for residential buildings around the Clinton St/SE 12th MAX station? I did some Orange Line exploring this weekend and couldn't help but think that station is a little useless at the time being. Residents on the north side of the tracks are prevented from accessing the station if a freight train is going by and the land in the immediate vicinity to the south of the station is a fire fighting training facility and run down industrial buildings. There is certainly a lot of potential there though.
No idea about any specific plans for housing over there but I do know that the city is planning to rebuild the ped bridge (the one that was demolished) from the neighborhood on the N side of tracks over to the station vicinity.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 1:31 PM

Quote:
The current zoning is industrial and doesn't allow housing. However the City adopted new zoning that will allow housing and include the site in the central city plan - that takes effect next year. TriMet is replacing the ped bridge that was removed after the feds allowed them to use leftover money from the Orange Line project.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
No idea about any specific plans for housing over there but I do know that the city is planning to rebuild the ped bridge (the one that was demolished) from the neighborhood on the N side of tracks over to the station vicinity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_PDXer View Post
The current zoning is industrial and doesn't allow housing. However the City adopted new zoning that will allow housing and include the site in the central city plan - that takes effect next year. TriMet is replacing the ped bridge that was removed after the feds allowed them to use leftover money from the Orange Line project.

Good to know! That could be a pretty nice little transit oriented development in the future.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Good to know! That could be a pretty nice little transit oriented development in the future.
Forgot to mention that there's another ingredient for success at this triangle - two major property owners. One is the City fire bureau and the other is a private entity, Stacy and Witbeck. Stacy and Witbeck was the prime contractor for the Orange Line project and their Portland office is very close to this site. I could easily see a deal happen here between SW and the City to see a complete redevelopment. There are a few other property owners on the edge, but with relatively small pieces of the puzzle.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Portland to tear down SE Portland strip club to build affordable housing

Those seeking adult entertainment in Portland will soon have one less destination in the city known nationally for its many strip clubs.

The city of Portland will buy the property occupied by the Safari Showclub, tear down the club and build 200 to 300 affordable apartments.

The City Council on Wednesday unanimously approved spending $3.7 million on the 50,000-square foot property on Southeast Powell Boulevard at Southeast 30th Avenue. Commissioner Nick Fish was absent.

The city will close the deal September 30, when the strip club will have to cease operations.

"Ultimately to address our affordability crisis, we have to use all the tools available," Mayor Ted Wheeler said. "This is one example of how we can move forward."
...continues at the Oregonian.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 8:51 PM

"Affordable housing is extremely important!"

*takes 2 years just to get a permit*

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 7:47 PM

Quote:
72Foster breaks ground

REACH Community Development digs into Lents to build an intergenerational mixed-use building

The Lents Town Center urban renewal area is already stimulating more developments outside its original plans for the neighborhood's main drag.

The groundbreaking for 72Foster, a REACH Community Development project located at 7238 S.E. Foster Rd., was held last week on Thursday, Sept. 21.

72Foster will be an intergenerational, mixed-use building, creating 101 permanently affordable housing (some affordable deals with the City, State or Prosper Portland can expire) serving both seniors and families, with apartment sizes ranging from studios to three bedrooms.

The project is estimated to cost $24 million. Lucy Corbett, housing development project manager with REACH, attended the groundbreaking that featured speakers from the various funding partners.
...continues at the Business Tribune.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 11:23 PM

Not sure the proper thread for this. The mayor is considering incentives to make inclusionary housing more appealing to developers. The Mercury article included a list of 20+ unit projects primarily in SE.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Photos: Affordable housing rising in SE Portland

A new 101-unit affordable housing development is rising on Southeast Foster Road in the Mt. Scott-Arleta neighborhood. LMC Construction is building 72Foster – a four-story mixed-use building designed by Holst Architecture for REACH Community Development. The building will feature three stories of wood-framed apartments over a concrete podium that will hold commercial and residential amenity space.

Carpenters with framing contractor Wood Mechanix are nearly finished framing the building’s fourth floor. Installation of roof trusses and the weather-resistant barrier will begin next week, and windows will follow starting next month. The building will be topped out in early June.

72Foster’s 101 apartments will range in size from studios to three-bedrooms to primarily serve seniors and families. The units will be available to people earning 60 percent of median household income; 20 units will be occupied by residents with Project Based Section 8 vouchers. REACH is partnering with Asian Health & Service Center to provide outreach and on-site programs and services to residents.
...continues at the DJC (no paywall).

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Portland sculptor molds a new creative office project on Southeast Division (Photos)

When Portland sculptor Martin Eichinger bought the building at 2516 S.E. Division St. some 15 years ago, he had big plans to put in a traditional art school that focused on classic forms of art

"Then the economy got whacky and I just couldn't make it work," he said.

But by the time the economy settled down and Eichinger was in a place where he could invest in the property again, his own career had boomed and the idea of starting up a school in tandem just seemed too daunting.

"I already have one hard career," he said. "I didn't want to do an art school too."

Instead, over the long-term, Eichinger decided to expand the building into a creative office hub anchored by his studio and a restaurant on the ground floor. Over the past two years, two stories of office were added above and the restaurant space was prepped.
...continues at the PBJ (no paywall).

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 12:12 AM

Sellwood Apartments construction update, 7119 SE Milwaukie Ave.

This is the old Boys & Girls Club site, soon to be a 4-story, 232 unit apartment building with retail fronting SE Milwaukie Ave. I think I read somewhere this will be the largest private development ever in Sellwood. I'm not sure if that includes any of the riverfront condos.

Renderings:

[Urban Works Real Estate]

[Urban Works Real Estate]

[NBP Capital]

[NBP Capital]

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 5:54 AM
A before E

Wait, so they are building three stories of apartments on top of the retail? That makes more sense because I was looking at the development the other day and it was starting to look like two different buildings with the apartments and the retail portion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland