HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteford View Post
whats not necessary? all i said was that Montreal is truly awesome and that the picture of Calgary was, wow! i don't understand any of the get over it and not necessary comments at all. please fill me in on what someone thinks they read in my comments that was remotely negative.
That was my bad, I read it quickly and saw Montreal was unimpressive compared to Calgary, which you obviously did not write. my apologies good sir.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
I agree in theory, but I have yet to spot one in Vancouver. It probably has to do with the consistency of that city's skyline, and the fact that it is for now dominated by the shangri- la.
It's mostly because the skyline doesn't have a "long or "short" side. And the towers are so dense there are no holes.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 2:20 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
I think commuting via canoe would be awesome!
i allmost did it here in winnipeg last summer i think my employer woulda had a good laugh

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 6:54 AM
Here and There

oldies by me. Guess the cities.

By kw5150 at 2012-03-01

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 6:55 AM
Here and There

By kw5150 at 2012-03-01

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 6:56 AM
Here and There

By kw5150 at 2012-03-01

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 6:57 AM
Here and There

By kw5150 at 2012-03-01

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 6:58 AM
Here and There

By kw5150 at 2012-03-01

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 6:58 AM
Here and There

By kw5150 at 2012-03-01

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteford View Post
whats not necessary? all i said was that Montreal is truly awesome and that the picture of Calgary was, wow! i don't understand any of the get over it and not necessary comments at all. please fill me in on what someone thinks they read in my comments that was remotely negative.
I thought your comment was meant to insult me because of the comment below, I guess I misinterpreted the whole thing

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 5:28 PM
Reason and Freedom

Floating City

Photo by TIA Internation Photography: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tiascap...57616561767347

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 6:03 PM
Here and There

larger:

By kw5150 at 2012-03-02

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
That was my bad, I read it quickly and saw Montreal was unimpressive compared to Calgary, which you obviously did not write. my apologies good sir.
np. with me i find it hard to complain about any of our bigger cities skylines. Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Montreal, Edmonton, and on and on. they are all great in each their own ways. i happen to have a big thing for both Montreal and especially Calgary. i will argue with anyone when it comes to Calgary because i truly feel that is is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. i just feel that way and i always will. same for Montreal. you cant tell me that it has an unimpressive skyline without me getting all worked up about it and wanting to set that person strait about how awesome Montreal's skyline really is. its just the way i am built. other than that i am so easy to get along with. trust me on that. so... no hard feelings over here. good day to you fine sir and please lets keep the wonderful pictures flowing in to this very very awesome thread.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 10:32 AM
BANNED

I love Montreal's skyline because it has depth: there's over 200 years of architectural history represented from the shoreline back. I love our little downtown mountain that serves as both backdrop and vantage point and I love that I can simply walk there and have so much fun. I also love the fact that when it gets dark, a whole new night of Montreal debauchery is about to begin within that skyline, no matter what day or what time of year. Shit has gone down within that skyline- some of it good, some of it bad, some of it nation defining- but shit has happened there and will continue to happen.

I look at other Canadian skylines and I see a bunch of generic 10-30 year old buildings that could could be anywhere- or nowhere- where nothing much ever happens and nothing much is ever likely to happen- especially after dark, and I just draw a blank.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gibbroni View Post

I love Montreal's skyline because it has depth: there's over 200 years of architectural history represented from the shoreline back. I love our little downtown mountain that serves as both backdrop and vantage point and I love that I can simply walk there and have so much fun. I also love the fact that when it gets dark, a whole new night of Montreal debauchery is about to begin within that skyline, no matter what day or what time of year. Shit has gone down within that skyline- some of it good, some of it bad, some of it nation defining- but shit has happened there and will continue to happen.

I look at other Canadian skylines and I see a bunch of generic 10-30 year old buildings that could could be anywhere- or nowhere- where nothing much ever happens and nothing much is ever likely to happen- especially after dark, and I just draw a blank.
I like the skyline from that angle!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 3:47 PM

The view from Champlain bridge at night is one of the most impressive I have ever seen for a city. Because you can't see the gaps between the Big 5 (but the view during the day is nice too), because of the colours everywhere, the waterfront, the spotlight on Place Ville-Marie make it looks like some serious shit is going on there, the Purina Five Roses flashing red sign give it a Sin City feel.

2:30 in this video. The Bonaventure Expressay at 6:20 is worth the mention too.

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 10:11 PM

Saw this nice one in a Toronto Star article.

from: http://www.thestar.com/business/arti...fourth-quarter

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 2:30 PM

I had a meeting on one of the higher floors of the Concordia Engineering building. Took a couple shots; unusual angles of downtown and surroundings. Enjoy!

Maisonneuve boulevard

Little Burgundy - Pointe St.Charles (Champlain bridge, Mont St.Bruno in distance)

Grey Nuns Residence (Concordia University)

Rue St.Catherine (right to left: Marriott, CIBC, Sun Life, PVM, 1501 McGill College, Maison Astral)

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 7:24 PM

^^^see that's what im talking about. Montreal has that early 1900's era vibe, unique to Montreal amongst Canadian cities. only it has that type of build and thats the way it will remain. i just love it so much. with that said, Calgary is new and there is allot of good things about being new. only Calgary has the completely new feel and skyline to match. it will only get newer and amongst Canadian cities it rules that post. two cities with similarly sized skylines, from a viewing standpoint that is. they are on completely opposite ends of the time-era spectrum and both are tops in their category. new/old. similar yet completely different. both are beautiful examples of the diversity of canadiana and well worth a visit.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 12:33 AM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada