HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

158 Madison Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 8:55 PM
New Yorker for life

Smile NEW YORK | 160 Madison Ave | 452 FT | 42 FLOORS

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2012/0...lding.php#more

Madison Avenue Lot Will Try Again With a Rental Building

March 1, 2012
by Sara Polsky

Quote:
The Sundari Lofts & Tower, the zen-themed 50-unit condo planned for 158 Madison Avenue, was a casualty of the credit crunch, its troubles made worse by its location: a T-shaped lot in an area not, er, known for new condo projects. (The site's best success so far was as the home of Andy Warhol's legendary Factory.) Even a redesign failed to get the project off the ground.

But now there's new life at the site, The Real Deal explains. It's been acquired by J.D. Carlisle Development (the team behind The Beatrice) and the plan is for a rental building on the site, with construction to begin next year. There's no designer on board yet, but we'll be curious to see the next vision for that T-shape. A tipster points out the most recent version of the project on the website of architect Ismael Leyva:

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2012/03/...Estate+News%29
J.D. Carlisle buys Madison Avenue condo-hotel site, plots new rental

March 01, 2012
By David Jones

Quote:
J.D. Carlisle Development, the boutique firm behind the Beatrice rental project, told The Real Deal yesterday that it acquired a stalled condo-hotel site in the Murray Hill section of Manhattan, and will construct a new rental building on the property in 2013.

The original project, a planned 38-story condo-hotel between 31st and 32nd streets designed by Ismael Leyva, was considered difficult to finance, not only because of the economic downturn, but because it was configured in a T-shape and was located in a submarket that is more suitable for commercial development than luxury condominiums.

“The timing made it hard to finance period, but the odd shape didn’t help,” said a source familiar with the project. “The original plan was a condo-hotel. That doesn’t work in most places in Manhattan, but that’s not a condo neighborhood.”

J.D. Carlisle officials said they expect to launch construction on the rental building in January 2013, and the project would be completed within two years. The firm is still working on a marketing plan and designer for the project.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 8:58 PM
World Machine

Wow - I can keep up with all these projects! Great news!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 9:41 PM

Reminds me of Trump's new building up in Toronto, sounds like we could get a new design between now and January of 2013 though.

I could go either way on the current design though. Not a loss if redesigned, if it's built as is pictured could be interesting.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 2:08 AM
BANNED

I always hoped that the developer would acquire some of the buildings adjacent to this site that front Madison.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 5:15 PM
Endless Moments...

Wow nice renderings. Very Kewl...

Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 5:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2012/0...lding.php#more

Madison Avenue Lot Will Try Again With a Rental Building

March 1, 2012
by Sara Polsky

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2012/03/...Estate+News%29
J.D. Carlisle buys Madison Avenue condo-hotel site, plots new rental

March 01, 2012
By David Jones
This is the kind of building NY needs more of. Pity this design has been dropped.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 8:55 PM
BANNED

Please. You don't know what design will be there or not. Moreover, NY is the leader in architecture and doesn't need this tower any more than the Queen needs another jewel in her crown.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 2:19 AM
BANNED

I walked by this site on 24 April 2012 and observed that four of the small buildings on Madison are empty. Presumably, JD Carlisle has acquired them. The building on the corner of Madison and 33rd still has the lousy deli on the ground floor, however.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 2:44 AM

This building looks a lot like the Trump Tower in Chicago.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 2:51 AM
BANNED

I doubt that design will survive if, in fact, the developer has acquired the adjacent parcels.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 4:21 AM

Good news. Maybe something bigger comes around ... I'm rooting for a skyscraper (700 feet), although it is difficult...

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 5:38 AM

If they did acquire the properties, this could be much taller. The original design was 450', but doubling the FAR could push it past 600'. Who knows if that's the case, but the original proposal is simultaneously overstimulating and underwhelming.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 10:11 PM

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...762157428.html

Carlisle Eyeing New Project on Madison

Alessia Pirolo
June 10, 2012
Quote:
The real-estate company known for such projects as the 54-story Beatrice rental apartment building in Chelsea and the Morton Square condominium in the West Village is assembling a new site, this one in Midtown South.

J.D. Carlisle Development Corp. has purchased the seven-floor building at 166 Madison Ave., adding it to the property it already owns on the block, the vacant lot at 158 Madison. The company, which has roots going back more than 50 years, is planning a residential and retail development on the site.

Before J.D. Carlisle can move forward, it must first buy the three buildings in between the lot and 166 Madison Ave. According to public records, the developer is in contract to buy one of them, 160 Madison Ave.

Meantime, Edward Eden, an attorney who owns 164 Madison Ave., another building on the same row of properties, said he would prefer to "keep it private" when asked about any negotiations that might be going on. The owner of 162 Madison couldn't be reached for comment.

Evan Stein, the president of J.D. Carlisle, said the company was interested in new acquisitions in the area but declined to go into detail. John LaGratta, a director at the firm, said 166 Madison is part of an "assemblage for our development," which the company hopes to begin in early 2013. "With no height restriction, the building will have excellent views, some being of the Empire State Building," Mr. LaGratta said.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...0&postcount=18
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole
I walked by this site on 7 Nov 2012, and the final tenant, a filthy Korean deli, is now closed. These structures likely will come down in early 2013.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...8&postcount=19
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole
There was a lot of interior demolition occurring today. They must complete interior asbestos abatement before this entire block (but for the nice building on the south corner) is razed.
Looks like New York is getting another 700+ footer, although I wouldn't count out a supertall just yet if the design is very slender, like 432 Park, 107 W57th or One Madison Park.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 10:34 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
John LaGratta, a director at the firm, said 166 Madison is part of an "assemblage for our development," which the company hopes to begin in early 2013. "With no height restriction, the building will have excellent views, some being of the Empire State Building," Mr. LaGratta said.

It's all about the views these days. I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
It's all about the views these days. I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out.
I believe the implications of 158 Madison will echo beyond this one development, seeing how close to the ESB the site is. If 158 Madison is sufficiently tall, it could spur develepment closer to the ESB that would eventually leave it in a state comparable to the Chrysler building, the tallest peak in it's immediate vicinity, but not big enough to dominate it's surroundings. It's something that would change the character of Midtown in a way that it hasn't since the ESB was completed some 80 years ago and I'm looking forward to it.

However, since the odds of NIMBY frustration towards this state of affairs are nearly 110% certain, I wish that instead of wasting their energy fighting the inevitable they would instead use it constructively by demanding that the Metlife North Building is completed so that art deco architecture can maintain it's very significant presence in the midtown skyline without compromising further development near the ESB.

Last edited by Eidolon; Nov 13, 2012 at 11:38 PM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 12:23 PM

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...6&postcount=23
Quote:
That proposal won't be built.

The developer has since acquired all of the lowrise buildings that sit in front of the proposed tower on Madison. A much larger tower will rise here.
I'm looking forward to the tower that gets built here, it seems like this one will be a supertall!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 12:39 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
I'm looking forward to the tower that gets built here, it seems like this one will be a supertall!

I won't jump to that conclusion just yet. The trend is for higher buildings, offering better views, so it would make sense. But it all depends. Even a building in the 800 - 900 ft range will be very tall for that area, and will help anchor the skyline on that side of the ESB - as opposed to the supertall parade headed towards the Hudson.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 4:16 AM

Quote:
a building in the 800 - 900 ft range will be very tall for that area, and will help anchor the skyline on that side of the ESB - as opposed to the supertall parade headed towards the Hudson.
-
I certainly hope something is built directly East of ESB since the Hudson + Penn area will be leaping up in the coming decade.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 4:43 PM
New Yorker for life

The trend is for taller, skinner skyscrapers. Check this slide from a Wall St Journal article...
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...8.html#slide/1

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 7:56 PM

RobertWalpole
Quote:
As of 21 Jan 2013, scaffolding has been erected around the entire site. Hopefully, JD Carlisle will build something nice like it plans to at 107 W 57th.
I can't wait to see what's being built here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive