HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 8:46 PM

Quote:
jlousa... The city wouldn't allow much more additional space then already exists there, remember that this building is already roughly the same size as Park Place. Also note that Sears was paying very little in rent, while the new tenants will be paying market rates. Having a Nordstrom like tenant will also allow CF to increase rents in the rest of Pacific Centre more then if it remained a Sears. Even then I imagine the break even point on this 15-20yrs out.

Leftcoaster, do you know and are you at liberty to say if during renovations the existing sturcture will be fortified allowing for a tower to potential be built above the exisiting building if a future council is willing to increase the FSR onsite.
Just curious. What is the price difference between retail space and office space in DT Vancouver. Hypothetically speaking, if they were to decide to build an office tower (I believe the city would be in favour of such a move), wouldn't the property value go way up, as well as leasing income, assuming office space is much more valuable than retail space.

Also, has the city indicated that they would not increase density?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 9:15 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

It's all dependant on area for retail and area and class for office space. In this case Retail will be worth more money then office space... But there is only so much market for retail space. They wouldn't be able to lease out 600K sqft of retail so they're better off converting a chunk of it to office. Class AAA office space in that area could get them $45psf. Retail along Robson could fetch ~$200psf but drops quickly as the space gets too big and if it's not at street level. Some d/t retail space goes for quite a bit less then premium office space.
The city has shown that it willing to allow a slight increase in FSR to Pacific centre but it would be all eaten up by buildout of the plazas at Howe and Georgia and Granville and Georgia. Perhaps more density could be landed at a future date.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 9:16 PM

According to Vancitybuzz, there's going to be a entrance to Vancouver City Centre Station at the building's corner at Robson and Howe. Seems a bit far away, wouldn't a entrance at Granville and Robson make more sense (and be cheaper too)?

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2012/07/i...ears-building/

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 9:24 PM
See ya down under, mates

Howe is better than another Granville one. It's not a long walk to the existing escalator on Granville/Georgia.

And of course western Robson st is under-served by transit despite being the more interesting side.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 9:25 PM

There is no reason why a simple cladding, or alteration to cladding cannot be achieved that will improve rather than diminish Pacific Centre. If CV's goal is to revitalize with a contemporary design that provides retail and office in the current volumne, and makes the shopping portion a destination, then perhaps they should look elsewhere for their architects. There are plenty of good to outstanding firms who will do a really good job for them using a smidgeon of creativity and imagination.

Here is one example by UN Studio of the Galleria department store in Seoul in 2003. Tell me if you cannot see the similarities. The glazing for the office portion could be dark tinted mullionless glazing on the top few floors, or perhaps by cutting down a diagonal across the less-prominent retail facades down to street directly across from the art gallery.

Galleria Department Store, Seoul, 2003

Images from UN Studio website

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 9:26 PM

I'm sorry if this has been addressed, but what is the plan for the lane/ramp on Robson/Howe down into the underground parking (remaining, relocating)? A wider sidewalk and greater animation along Robson is the most important element of the renovation for me. Personally I'd be fine with a recladding similar to First Canadian Place in Toronto with window displays for Nordstrom's along Robson.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 9:31 PM

I hope it is a true entrance, and they strike a deal with translink / protrans to add a new stairway / escalator at the south end of the station's platform (not taking up any more station space)

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
According to Vancitybuzz, there's going to be a entrance to Vancouver City Centre Station at the building's corner at Robson and Howe. Seems a bit far away, wouldn't a entrance at Granville and Robson make more sense (and be cheaper too)?

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2012/07/i...ears-building/
vancitybuzz took all the speculation in this thread including the render for that entry, he also says the basement level will become mall space for more tenants which was brought up in here

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
I hope it is a true entrance, and they strike a deal with translink / protrans to add a new stairway / escalator at the south end of the station's platform (not taking up any more station space)
Surely, Vancouver City Centre Station needs more than 5 fare gates loll....to be on the safe side. And that's just what a second entrance would provide.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post

Leftcoaster, do you know and are you at liberty to say if during renovations the existing sturcture will be fortified allowing for a tower to potential be built above the exisiting building if a future council is willing to increase the FSR onsite.
Im confused as to why there cant be an increase in FSR? whats the reasoning why this current council doesnt want to increase it?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 9:51 PM

Thats what I wonder as well, especially given that it is sitting on top of a major mass transit hub (VCC and next to Granville Station) with at grade and underground connections....and a massive parking structure.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 10:10 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

It already holds a sizable FSR, the rezoning process would add even more time to the redevelopment and they'd be no guarantee it would be approved, all for minimal gains.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 10:16 PM

yes we know its already sizable but why not allow an increase for it to be even bigger? true it would add time to the process. but why do you say that the current council would not allow an increase? what is the reasoning? saying, well its already a sizable FSR isnt a reason to not increase.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 10:30 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

That is a valid reason for not increasing it. It's already at the max allowable FSR for the district. The city would need to justify going above and beyond the district guidelines and would require extensive CACs payable. The city doesn't just dole out FSR it needs to be justified.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 10:46 PM

no its not a valid reason its BS reason lol. an actual valid reason to not allow an increase would be if they could show that by doing so would be detrimental somehow to the city. but this is beside the point.

I was just thinking what made you wonder why an increase might be possible in the future with a different council.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
no its not a valid reason its BS reason lol. an actual valid reason to not allow an increase would be if they could show that by doing so would be detrimental somehow to the city. but this is beside the point.

I was just thinking what made you wonder why an increase might be possible in the future with a different council.

http://snapshotsofgod.com/outsidebox.htm

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 2:12 AM
Reason and Freedom

I am so embarrassed for Vancouver. This is taking our reputation for blandness and small thinking to unprecedented (and hitherto inconceivable) lows.

Why on earth would anyone waste so much money on creating absolute nothingness? My God. Compared to this ridiculous proposal, the current facade is vastly more modern and has vastly more potential. If this is all we can expect, then it would be far superior (and far cooler) to just spend a fraction of the budget and simply restore the current facade to its original gleaming state and make intelligent use of some funky colour programmable LED lighting, turning the ivory surface into a dynamic, sparkling gem, thus adding to the electric character of Granville Street, not injecting it with sedatives.

This is so uncreative and small-minded that it is immoral.

Last edited by Prometheus; Aug 1, 2012 at 2:22 AM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
I am so embarrassed for Vancouver. This is taking our reputation for blandness and small thinking to unprecedented (and hitherto inconceivable) lows.

Why on earth would anyone waste so much money on creating absolute nothingness? My God. Compared to this ridiculous proposal, the current facade is vastly more modern and has vastly more potential. If this is all we can expect, then it would be far superior (and far cooler) to just spend a fraction of the budget and simply restore the current facade to its original gleaming state and make intelligent use of some funky colour programmable LED lighting, turning the ivory surface into a dynamic, sparkling gem, thus adding to the electric character of Granville Street, not injecting it with sedatives.

This is so uncreative and small-minded that it is immoral.

It would be kinda difficult for office workers on the upper floors to see out though the current facade.

Ron.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfBC View Post
It would be kinda difficult for office workers on the upper floors to see out though the current facade.

Ron.
Square donut, with atrium in the centre open to the sky all the way to the bottom, with offices facing inward. Garden on top for the worker bees, and perhaps lunch crowd on rooftop restaurant. Which leaves open the opportunity to go higher by a few floors, as well, since the open hole would leave room to use up some of that floorspace to restore their FSR.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 3:58 AM

If this is really the way they are going to go, I hope they at least give the building a nice green roof patio. I am sick of looking at that empty rusty (brown) roof.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver