HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 9:04 AM

Smile NEW YORK | Greenpoint Landing | 10+ Towers | 400 FT+

Was digging around for other things when I stumbled upon a trove of renderings... thus, my new article!

Quote:
In terms of criticism, the project put forth looks appropriate in scale, although the design is quite bland. Some have noticed many of the new projects along the East River look like they belong in Miami rather than New York (specifically East Coast Long Island City), and this project is no exception; the rendered facades are entirely glass, with little variation. The overall scope of 'Greenpoint Landing' makes the project look impressive for sheer size, but in terms of architecture, there is little that is appealing. 'Greenpoint Landing' may fail to create a vision that is particularly dazzling, but it certainly isn't a bad proposal--just slightly boring.
full article (facts/figures/renderings):

http://newyorkyimby.blogspot.com/201...reenpoint.html

image via Handel

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 2:21 PM
New Yorker for life

I remember those massing renderings before, but haven't seen any detailed like the ones here, which still seem early. The Greenpoint waterfront was
specifically rezoned for such developments. Things have changed more along the east river since this early proposal, most notably the Hunters Point
development directly to the north. In 5 - 10 years, the combined east river skyline of Brooklyn/Queens will be impressive in its own right.

resized

Another rendering from....
http://www.ckdllc.com/?p=417

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 5:13 PM

Bringing a little bit of Miami to New York.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 6:48 PM

looks like dubai!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 7:19 PM

I could be completely wrong here, but will the the Hunters Point South development happen basically on the other side of that Calatrava looking pedestrian bridge?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
I could be completely wrong here, but will the the Hunters Point South development happen basically on the other side of that Calatrava looking pedestrian bridge?
Yes. It's going to be a continuous strip of high-density from the Manhattan Bridge all the way to East Coast LIC.

I don't think the skyline will suffer (although all of these proposals are fairly bland) as the buildings will make nice filler. I think we will see several proposals in the 700'+ range getting built in DoBro and downtown LIC by the 2020s, so the riverfront skyline will essentially make for a nice foreground...

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 12:09 AM

This project faces Newtown Creek, which emits "strange orders" for decades does it not? I think somebody better clean up the creek first, before anyone would want to to live there. Just my opnion.

http://www.youtube.com/user/NYBOY75

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 1:37 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUEENSNYMAN View Post
This project faces Newtown Creek, which emits "strange orders" for decades does it not? I think somebody better clean up the creek first, before anyone would want to to live there. Just my opnion.
The Creek itself has been undergoing a transformation with the new parks and wasteplant upgrade...

http://www.dnainfo.com/20120222/will...ly-operational

NYCviaRachel

For comparison, the Hunter's Point master plan...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
Quote:
In terms of criticism, the project put forth looks appropriate in scale, although the design is quite bland. Some have noticed many of the new projects along the East River look like they belong in Miami rather than New York (specifically East Coast Long Island City), and this project is no exception; the rendered facades are entirely glass, with little variation. The overall scope of 'Greenpoint Landing' makes the project look impressive for sheer size, but in terms of architecture, there is little that is appealing. 'Greenpoint Landing' may fail to create a vision that is particularly dazzling, but it certainly isn't a bad proposal--just slightly boring.
Just a thought: all these bland new proposals represent a larger shift of investment into the area. As property values in the area go up, developers seeking a status boost (and looking to take advantage of what are arguably the best panoramic views in the entire metro region) will build more daring architecture. LIC has only recently become a highrise place.

Don't expect anything like 432 Park or One57, but a building like the Toren could go up here soon.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 4:04 AM

Simple but good. I liked...

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 12:57 PM

Give me a skyline that stretches from DoBo to Astoria!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 3:46 AM

I love it. The entire East River waterfront in Queens/Brooklyn should be redeveloped in this modern, sexy (high quality)glass style.

Hope those are the real renders.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 3:17 AM

Newest renderings revealed:

http://www.yimbynews.com/2012/07/gre...umberyard.html

This project's scope is enormous! I can't wait to see the skyline stretching from BK into Queens. It's unfortunate that Newtown Creek is a sewage dump, but hopefully these revitalization efforts will spark a real clean-up...

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 11:59 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
Newest renderings revealed:

http://www.yimbynews.com/2012/07/gre...umberyard.html

This project's scope is enormous! I can't wait to see the skyline stretching from BK into Queens. It's unfortunate that Newtown Creek is a sewage dump, but hopefully these revitalization efforts will spark a real clean-up...
I like it. Definitely not amazing designs, but for a giant development like that, it's too expected. Can't wait to see these go up together. A forest of cranes!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 2:50 AM
Show me the blueprints

Not a huge fan of the Calatrava inspired bridge. Seems a bit much, kinda contrived and also looks like a wish bone. Wish Bone Bridge?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 4:28 AM
Come As You Are

It would be nice to see a modern bridge in NYC to contrast with the old ones!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 6:09 PM

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2012/1...ng_forward.php
Friday, October 12, 2012,
by Jessica Dailey

Quote:
It looks like those ten residential towers will actually be coming to 22 acres of Greenpoint waterfront. Called Greenpoint Landing, the plans have been talked about for nearly a year, and renderings by Handel Architects were released this spring. News that developer Park Tower Group wants to break ground by next summer was buried in a Times article earlier this summer, and now, Greenpointers reports that the tenants occupying the lots in question, mainly the Boardwalk Empire set, are moving out. The luxury development will occupy 22 waterfront acres, bringing 4.2 million square feet of mixed-use buildings with approximately 4,000 apartments, of which 20 percent will be affordable.

Handel Architects' plans call for much more than just ten towers rising 30 to 40 stories high.
They include plans for a pedestrian bridge designed by starchitect Santiago Calatrava to connect Greenpoint and Long Island City, a new East River Marina, and a seasonal putting green/ice skating rink. Residents would enjoy a large deck with a swimming pool, hot tub, and barbecue area, and inside amenities would include concierge and valet service, a fitness center and spa, racquetball court, a golf-simulator, children's playroom, and a movie room. Restaurants and public green spaces would be incorporated throughout.
New York is on a roll right now.

Last edited by Eidolon; Oct 12, 2012 at 6:09 PM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 6:32 PM

Jesus... 10 new towers, 22 acres of waterfront, a marina, and a new pedestrian bridge. All in one development. The amount of development is just staggering.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 7:15 PM

That bridge is awesome. and so are the buildings.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 8:17 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Just the beginning of what will be massive development and expansion of the waterfront all along the NYC coastline.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction