HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     
Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #221  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 10:01 PM
feepa's Avatar
feepa feepa is offline
Change is good
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,246
This poll was an internet poll? Rather than the standard means of surveys -- phones?

Sounds legit... Of course canuck fans will grasp at straws on anything to defend against what the rest of the NHL is saying about them...

So basically. like any other online poll, it was posted on some forum like canuckcentral and the results are skewed before the chickens even hatched...

The pollstar is reputable, but an internet poll? Highly unscientific and unrealistic results are expected.

NHL analysts league wide still say... Canucks are divers!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #222  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 10:02 PM
Prometheus's Avatar
Prometheus Prometheus is offline
Reason and Freedom
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto/Vancouver
Posts: 2,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post

I think numbers are not doing your argument any good when you're not willing to find the laughably bad diving and embellishments on any of the other teams.
Ask and you shall receive:

Video Link


Video Link


Video Link


What? You thought that was going to be difficult or something? It took less than 30 seconds to find those. It seems your problem is not blind hatred, but blindness in general.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #223  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 10:17 PM
freeweed's Avatar
freeweed freeweed is offline
Home of Hyperchange
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dynamic City, Alberta
Posts: 17,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
You seem to be waging a war with reality: Not only does everyone not hate the Canucks, the Canucks are in fact Canada's favourite playoff team and supported by a majority of Albertans. It is you who are in the minority and out of step.
You sure do pick and choose what to quote. And move the goalposts as you see fit.

So let me ask you this instead: why do so many hockey fans, on hockey forums such as this and elsewhere, plus most of the hockey media world, seem to consider the Canucks as a team full of divers that is disliked by most Canadian hockey fans? Why is there story after story after story in the mainstream press about it? Again, did we all just wake up one day with a mutual irrational dislike for the team, for no reason whatsoever?

Or are you now going to quote me using the word "mutual" and claim that I'm out of touch with reality because not every single person on the planet is in lockstep agreement, therefore the word "mutual" cannot apply, therefore everything else I'm asking is wrong? Or perhaps you can quote "one day" and respond with "I'm sure it happened over 4 days, therefore I'm going to focus on that part".
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #224  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 10:17 PM
Ayreonaut's Avatar
Ayreonaut Ayreonaut is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Calgary, AB - Home | St. John's, NL - School
Posts: 11,579
You guys do realize that nobody is listening to the other side of the argument, right? So why bother dragging this out?

I last signed in less than five hours ago, and already had to wade through two more pages of this crap. Let it go already!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #225  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 10:49 PM
Prometheus's Avatar
Prometheus Prometheus is offline
Reason and Freedom
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto/Vancouver
Posts: 2,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post

This poll was an internet poll? Rather than the standard means of surveys -- phones?

The pollstar [sic] is reputable, but an internet poll? Highly unscientific and unrealistic results are expected
Please tell me this level of ignorance is rare in Alberta, a province I admire.

News Flash:

In the 21st century, online polls are "proving more accurate than phoning." (Source: Toronto Star) "Randomized telephone polling, which has been the backbone of the industry for decades, is rapidly giving way to online polling." (Source: CBC) The "respondents are more likely to take the time to answer questions accurately." (Source: Toronto Star) "Internet polls are now clearly the wave of the future." (Source: CBC) The most accurate poll in the 2008 federal election was an online poll (conducted by Angus Reid, of course). (Source: Toronto Star) The most accurate poll in the 2011 federal election was an online poll (once again, conducted by Angus Reid). (Source: Angus Reid Forum)

Are you done making a fool of yourself?

Last edited by Prometheus; Apr 13, 2012 at 11:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #226  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 12:11 AM
Yume-sama's Avatar
Yume-sama Yume-sama is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vancouver / Calgary / Tokyo
Posts: 7,525
I think the Panthers forgot the playoffs started. Can't blame them, it's only been since 1999.

The last team to finally qualify for the playoffs in this millenium! Yay!
__________________
Visit me on Flickr! Really! I'm lonely.
http://www.flickr.com/syume
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #227  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 12:13 AM
Prometheus's Avatar
Prometheus Prometheus is offline
Reason and Freedom
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto/Vancouver
Posts: 2,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post

I personally think the canucks dive more than most teams, but that's probably because I'm looking for it when I watch them. No stats or list of calls or anything like that can prove it, someone would have to watch every NHL game and count the number of dives by each team...
This is an insightful and mature comment.

It's insightful because it accurately describes what science tell us: we often believe (erroneously) that phenomenon "A" occurs more frequently than phenomenon "B" precisely because we are actively looking for phenomenon "A" while paying less attention to phenomenon "B". And we look for phenomenon "A" more aggressively than we look for phenomenon "B" because the former is consistent with our strongly held beliefs or prejudices while the latter is not. That's why dispassionate scientific research, not subjective anecdotal evidence, reveals the truth.

The comment is mature because you have the integrity to self-introspect and the honesty to admit what you find.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #228  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 1:20 AM
Nicko999's Avatar
Nicko999 Nicko999 is offline
All I do is score goals!
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 12,408
The Pens-Flyers series has the potential to be the best post-lockout...

WOW!!! It's 4-4 heading into the third.

I encourage to watch this game... THIS is playoff hockey.
__________________
Montreal Alouettes: 2009 Grey Cup Champions!!!
Montreal Alouettes: 2010 Grey Cup Champions!!!BACK TO BACK
Chicago: Part 1
Chicago: Part 2
Naperville, IL: Part 3
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #229  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 1:26 AM
Yume-sama's Avatar
Yume-sama Yume-sama is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vancouver / Calgary / Tokyo
Posts: 7,525
It's a fantastic series for sure!

Too bad for the Panthers, still haven't won a playoff game this millenium.
__________________
Visit me on Flickr! Really! I'm lonely.
http://www.flickr.com/syume
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #230  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 2:08 AM
Yume-sama's Avatar
Yume-sama Yume-sama is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vancouver / Calgary / Tokyo
Posts: 7,525
The Flyers are ridiculous! Hat trick for Couturier, 5 point night for Giroux!

I guess you can't win a run and gun game against them. Even if you are the Penguins.
__________________
Visit me on Flickr! Really! I'm lonely.
http://www.flickr.com/syume
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #231  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 2:54 AM
giallo's Avatar
giallo giallo is offline
be nice to the crackheads
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Shanghai/Vancouver
Posts: 7,117
Mods, if you're going to delete my observant comment about the ridiculous nature of some of these pathetic hyper competitive Alberta fans, please have some consistency. If we expect to have a thread that remains reasonably civilized, brig people like this complete illiterate wanker above me. I can't see Canucks fans on SSP remaining polite for much longer.

The irony of these select Alberta fans calling out Canuck fans for being douches while being compete santorums themselves can't possibly be lost on others reading this thread, can it?
__________________
www.andrewrochfort.com
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #232  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 3:06 AM
Nicko999's Avatar
Nicko999 Nicko999 is offline
All I do is score goals!
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 12,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
The Flyers are ridiculous! Hat trick for Couturier, 5 point night for Giroux!

I guess you can't win a run and gun game against them. Even if you are the Penguins.
-hat trick, 6 pts and 12 shots on goal for Giroux
-hat trick for Couturier

Fleury is overrated... I can't believe he was a 1st overall pick.
__________________
Montreal Alouettes: 2009 Grey Cup Champions!!!
Montreal Alouettes: 2010 Grey Cup Champions!!!BACK TO BACK
Chicago: Part 1
Chicago: Part 2
Naperville, IL: Part 3
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #233  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 3:40 AM
Ayreonaut's Avatar
Ayreonaut Ayreonaut is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Calgary, AB - Home | St. John's, NL - School
Posts: 11,579
Can we create a separate thread in which these Edmonton guys can continue on however they want? Whatever Canucks fans that want to pay attention to them can post there, too.

I mean, it's obviously gone completely overboard now. And I say this as a guy who would probably be overcome by crippling emotional agony if Vancouver ever won the cup.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #234  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 3:42 AM
giallo's Avatar
giallo giallo is offline
be nice to the crackheads
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Shanghai/Vancouver
Posts: 7,117
Sounds nice.
__________________
www.andrewrochfort.com
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #235  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 4:00 AM
Xelebes's Avatar
Xelebes Xelebes is offline
Sawmill Billowtoker
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Rockin' in Edmonton
Posts: 10,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Mods, if you're going to delete my observant comment about the ridiculous nature of some of these pathetic hyper competitive Alberta fans, please have some consistency. If we expect to have a thread that remains reasonably civilized, brig people like this complete illiterate wanker above me. I can't see Canucks fans on SSP remaining polite for much longer.

The irony of these select Alberta fans calling out Canuck fans for being douches while being compete santorums themselves can't possibly be lost on others reading this thread, can it?
Trying my best.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #236  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 4:04 AM
Xelebes's Avatar
Xelebes Xelebes is offline
Sawmill Billowtoker
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Rockin' in Edmonton
Posts: 10,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
What? You thought that was going to be difficult or something? It took less than 30 seconds to find those. It seems your problem is not blind hatred, but blindness in general.
They're calling the Canucks out for that horrendous game yesterday, where multiple instances of happened in a single game. However, those selections were from more than one game. If it were one game, then you would be talking.

But let's not get too trolled up lest you become the troll yourself.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #237  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 4:57 AM
freeweed's Avatar
freeweed freeweed is offline
Home of Hyperchange
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dynamic City, Alberta
Posts: 17,385
Oh Em Gee, what a great hockey night. Pens got slapped down, and the Kings got to witness once again what happens when the refs pay attention. Plus, 2 SHG. How's that diving stratagem working for you now, Vignault (sp)?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #238  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 5:15 AM
Yume-sama's Avatar
Yume-sama Yume-sama is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vancouver / Calgary / Tokyo
Posts: 7,525
It was a pretty clean game, but the Kings best players were better than the Canucks best players.
__________________
Visit me on Flickr! Really! I'm lonely.
http://www.flickr.com/syume
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #239  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 12:50 PM
Travis007's Avatar
Travis007 Travis007 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,201
Oh wow! Those Flyers young guns sure are explosive. The management are geniuses, knowing how to continually replenish the team with talent. This youth core is going to be dangerous for years to come.
__________________
Flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #240  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 1:20 PM
Copes's Avatar
Copes Copes is offline
Millennial Ascendancy
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 1,069
Can't get over this Philly/Pittsburgh series. What exciting hockey that was. The Philly team really does thrive on coming from behind. Phenomenal game, so exciting.

And LA continues! Love it. I sort of was defaulted the Kings in my pool because no one liked their chances against the Canucks. Who's laughing now?
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
   
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:40 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.