HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
I think Gateway is proving Salt Lake can't handle two major retail centers within blocks of each other. It's why they need to reinvent themselves as more than just a outdoor mall. I keep pushing the idea that this area could be SLC's nightlife hub. But that'll require some changes in the liquor license laws and a bigger push from the government to create a club/bar scene.
Love to see a Dave and Busters in the Gateway ... Where the SkyBox used to be. But Just like you said Comrade, liquor license may be the reason they have not come here yet.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 7:01 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllOutOfBubbleGum View Post
Love to see a Dave and Busters in the Gateway ... Where the SkyBox used to be. But Just like you said Comrade, liquor license may be the reason they have not come here yet.
That is the exact reason they aren't here. They have a set up that they like and that doesn't fit in with our Zion Curtain laws, that is why the aren't here.

A year of two ago they were looking at a location in Sandy 94th S, across from the "Sandy Mall" the center that DI has now built a new store.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL,UT View Post
Is anyone surprised by this at all? LD$ Inc has our senators by the strings. I just hope this won't discourage new restaurants from opening up.
Well at least the church can't make me put up a Zion Curtain in my house....
Me: 1 Corporation: 0
The LDS church is not pushing anyone to vote in regards to this. It is the members of the Utah congress, who a majority are member of the LDS church, and who represent the general population( also a majority are members of the LDS church), who make the decision.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
The LDS church is not pushing anyone to vote in regards to this. It is the members of the Utah congress, who a majority are member of the LDS church, and who represent the general population( also a majority are members of the LDS church), who make the decision.
The LDS Church has taken an official stance on alcohol laws and even released a video with Elder Christofferson talking about. They strongly oppose loosening alcohol laws and in that way, they are definitely pushing people to vote against liberalization, particularly those belonging to the LDS faith. I don't doubt there are more people who would vote to loosen liquor laws if the LDS Church had never gotten involved in the matter.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57...iquor.html.csp

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 10:01 PM

It's also worth noting that the church released that video specifically to coincide with the opening of the latest legislative session. They quite actively and openly (openly in Utah, anyway) meddle in and attempt to influence politics. That's a clear fact. What is not as clear is whether or not they use tithing money for this sort of thing.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 10:08 PM
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.

I like the nightlife gateway idea, but I don't see something like that happening until gateway is completely dead and struggling to stay open. like how crossroads mall was.

Salt Lake City throughout 2014 in the My City Photos Forum >>>http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=210541

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
It's also worth noting that the church released that video specifically to coincide with the opening of the latest legislative session. They quite actively and openly (openly in Utah, anyway) meddle in and attempt to influence politics. That's a clear fact. What is not as clear is whether or not they use tithing money for this sort of thing.
There's no valid evidence of the church using tithing money like that.

Salt Lake City throughout 2014 in the My City Photos Forum >>>http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=210541

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 10:16 PM
Transit Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToysNoiz View Post
There's no valid evidence of the church using tithing money like that.
I don't want to get off on things, but with the lack of financial transparency there's no evidence that the church isn't either.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brankrom View Post
I don't want to get off on things, but with the lack of financial transparency there's no evidence that the church isn't either.
There's no evidence that I'm not a monkey, either.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 11:46 PM

I think the whole Zions Curtain thing has been handled quite poorly by both sides really. I'm not sure how long it's been in place, but really if the anti-curtain crowd hadn't of cried bloody murder right from the get go I bet both sides would of been willing to find a solutions and make it work for both sides. But instead as soon as this thing came about it was nothing but derogatory comment after another about religion and belief etc.

On the other side the Pro-crowd has really just doubled down and does not want to budge because of the attack on their view point and at times very childish attacks.

As far as LDS church involvement: I highly doubt they are actively lobbing legislation of this type (releasing a statement is not Lobbing) But having met some of these politicians I do know they take some things way to literal from Church statements and go way to far. I think the Zion Curtain is one of them.

Listen I don't care about the Zion curtain whether it's there or not. It has benefits and negatives but that's what makes us a state, which we are united in. It is sad we can't get some of the really cool restaurants out there in this state because of it. At the same time I don't care my life is quite enjoyable with or with out it.

I will continue to go to Buffalo Wild Wings and maybe Zaxby when they finally get built. It's not something we should get all tied up about.

But just think of the Gateway having a sports bar area over by the fountain and it being backed with people for the World Cup with a big screen outside showing the US win over Germany

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
The LDS Church has taken an official stance on alcohol laws and even released a video with Elder Christofferson talking about. They strongly oppose loosening alcohol laws and in that way, they are definitely pushing people to vote against liberalization, particularly those belonging to the LDS faith. I don't doubt there are more people who would vote to loosen liquor laws if the LDS Church had never gotten involved in the matter.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57...iquor.html.csp
This article makes me want to puke. Wow. Just wow.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 1:14 AM

I drove by the La Porte project today and noticed they are going much more quickly now. It's up past level 2 finally.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTower View Post
I drove by the La Porte project today and noticed they are going much more quickly now. It's up past level 2 finally.
Yeah, I saw that too. Hopefully now that it's mostly steel work, it'll go faster.

The Capitol Theatre lean-to is about to top out, if it hasn't already.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Love to see a Dave and Busters in the Gateway ... Where the SkyBox used to be.
That is a really cool idea. Would love to see something help The Gateway remain a prominent destination downtown.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 4:26 AM

Quote:
I think the whole Zions Curtain thing has been handled quite poorly by both sides really. I'm not sure how long it's been in place, but really if the anti-curtain crowd hadn't of cried bloody murder right from the get go I bet both sides would of been willing to find a solutions and make it work for both sides. But instead as soon as this thing came about it was nothing but derogatory comment after another about religion and belief etc.
Uh, the Zion Curtain was the compromise. After bars were allowed to no longer be members-only establishments (as of 2009), the church pushed for the curtains in the 2010 Legislative session so there was a stronger distinction between bars and restaurants---hence, visible pouring in bars (that are at least open to all adults FINALLY), but no visible pouring in restaurants.

So no, the anti-curtain crowd did NOT "cry bloody murder" from the get-go. Instead, we all just breathed a sign of relief for tourism in this state, so visitors could finally get into a bar without asking some stranger to "sponsor" them.

The pro-curtain crowd (completely and transparently led by the LDS church) has been absolutely UNwilling to compromise any further on this and "make it work for both sides," as the already-posted Tribune article shows.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 5:16 AM

And opponents are RIGHT to cry blood-murder over the Zion Curtain, because it is a completely asinine law that- as we've been discussing on this board- directly hinders development and discourages tourism.

AllOutofBubbleGum, you say the Zion Curtain has "some benefits." I'm very interested to hear what you think those are, specifically.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 5:55 AM
Vote for me in 2019!

Sorry Zionide part of that is incorrect. The Zion Curtain existed before the Private Club law was removed. It was Huntsman that pushed for 1.5 ounces of primary liquor in a drink, the elimination of the Private Club rule and removal of the Zion Curtain, which all passed. Several years later some of the legislators felt that the changes during the Huntsman administration had been to drastic and they re-implemented the Zion Curtain.

I actually e-mailed Senator Valentine while the re-implementation of the Zion Curtain was being debated on the hill, and if I recall correctly his explanation to me was that there were several organizations, specifically MADD, that wanted overall liquor laws tightened up to where they were prior to the Huntsman changes, including the Zions Curtain being re-introduced. The resulting legislation was the re-introduction of the Zion Curtain and I believe a few minor tweaks to appease MADD, resulting in no other drastic changes being made.

So while I fully agree that the Zion Curtain is a stupid law, in a way it was a compromise. Had MADD got what they wanted, we would have the curtain and other more strict liquor laws.

Last edited by Future Mayor; Mar 14, 2014 at 6:27 AM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 6:22 AM

Skybox space at Gateway is leased!

The old sky box space at gateway has been leased to Gameworks.

http://www.shopthegateway.com/compon...to-the-gateway

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 6:30 AM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofIKid View Post
The old sky box space at gateway has been leased to Gameworks.

http://www.shopthegateway.com/compon...to-the-gateway

Well that's two sports bars at the Gateway, one more family oriented and one and actual bar. I guess that's a step in the right direction for those that want it to be a bar/club/entertainment district.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 6:39 AM
Bring out the cranes...

We need to get a "Dick's Last Resort" to come here to Salt Lake.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West