HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 8:13 PM

Newcastle upon Tyne, England

My photo offering is a walk around the city centre, a visit to the 'Great North Museum' and a trip to the 'Ouseburn Farm' which is located a less than a mile east of the city centre.

Please check out my other threads from the same trip:

Tynemouth http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=199461

Hexham http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=199457

Chinatown, which started in the late 70's when Chinese restaurants and supermarkets began to congregate on Stowell St. Chinese and other Asian businesses have since expanded into the adjacent streets

Just off Stowell St. is the Blackfriars, a 13th Century friary. The buildings fell into disrepair in the 19th Century and were restored in the late 70's. In the summer the courtyard provides a quiet oasis in the middle of the city.

'Sympathetic' Late 80's / Early 90's development.

Behind the Central Station is the 'Stephenson Quarter' named after the famous North Eastern Engineers George and Robert Stephenson. This area is the next big regeneration project in Newcastle. Although not officially a part of the project the next few buildings will be integrated into the new quarter.

Onward to 'Grainger Town' the classical core of the city. The most famous structures in this area include the Central Station, Grainger Market, the Central Arcade and the Theatre Royal.

Below is the worlds smallest Marks & Spencer store. It is located within the Grainger Market

Northumberland St. Below is the flagship shopping street in the Newcastle, the Fenwick store is one of the largest department stores in the country.

At the top of Northumberland St. is the Haymarket, the Great North Museum is located here. Formally the Hancock museum it was extensively renovated and reopened in 2009, admission is free.

Next a visit to the Ouseburn Farm and Seven Stories childrens book centre, the latter being located in a converted Victorian mill building. The Ouseburn is a small river flowing through a valley about a mile east of the city centre.

I decided to sample some of the local brew...... no not Newcastle Brown Ale, Fentimans brewed Dandelion & Burdock.

The quayside is the oldest and most photographed part of newcastle it has been the focus of much regeneration starting in the late 80's

The Castle Keep, Black Gate and Cathedral

St Nicholas's Cathedral, the current structure was completed in 1500, but didn't officially become a cathedral until 1882

The 'Castle Keep' built on the site of an older castle which gave the city its name. The current structure was completed in 1177 at a cost of £1,444. Admission is £4 but it is worth is for the view from the top alone!

The 'Black Gate' was an addition to the castle complex built in 1250, in the 17th Century the current pitched roof was added in a renovation.

Last edited by the sage; May 25, 2012 at 4:56 PM.

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 12:13 AM

Very beautifull ! ... It's funny how sometimes some buildings looks like they're coming from North america !... then I personally think about some little towns in Ontario I know : Brockville, prescott, port Hope and others...

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 2:44 AM

Fantastic!

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 3:17 AM

Stunning photos, and that rail viaduct is awesome!

Why does Newcastle get such a bad rap? I've never made it up to Northumberland before, but I've heard from cousins that the whole Tyne and Wear region is "sketchy". Looks great to me!

Edit: Just realized Geordie is from this region... whoa, now there's an accent I cannot decipher.

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 8:08 AM

The Toon's looking good

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 12:46 PM

Super duper awesomesauce city, dude. Dig that Friary action.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post

Why does Newcastle get such a bad rap? I've never made it up to Northumberland before, but I've heard from cousins that the whole Tyne and Wear region is "sketchy". Looks great to me!

Edit: Just realized Geordie is from this region... whoa, now there's an accent I cannot decipher.
There's a reason this was filmed there :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geordie_Shore

Video Link

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 2:20 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Some nice architecture there. Thanks for sharing these!

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 11:48 PM
BANNED

Wow!!!!!!!

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 12:31 AM
International

I have always appreciated the stone uniformity of Newcastle's downtown. Very nice.

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 2:32 AM

Thanks to everyone who left a comment! Glad I did my bit to promote the North East of England.

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 6:26 AM

Quote:

LOL - it isn't sketchy at all! probably one of the safest, most normal and most welcoming of the english metropolitan areas. can be a bit boring and suburban, but the nightlife does get a tad raucous on the busy nights. there was some ex-industrial grit around, but that has mostly been airbrushed away, not always to the area's benefit imo (lacks character compared to a decade ago imo). it's still got more of a working class vibe than the other english cities. i'd compare it to pittsburgh in the US.

when my gf brought her LA based friend here she just walked around with her mouth wide open as she couldnt believe how hectic and crazy it got on an evening. not to my tastes but the 18-24 year olds seem to love it.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 12:16 AM
Red October standing by

thanks for the pics. Newcastle's very underrated.

Quote:

because the toughness/badass factor on that island decreases the farther south you go

-

-fflint

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos