HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 11:08 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
...I went back and searched for the date of the Austin show... and found a full unedited video on youtube of the show. I heard again, for the first time in 27 years, the words that I had remembered. They begin at 30:00 in the video below:
OMG, his solos on Superstitious are terrifying. If I were a guitar, I'd have been afraid to be within a thousand miles of that guy. Holy shit. I mean, I knew he was good, but...
I accidentally typed "I knew he was god" and I corrected it, but maybe I should have left it the way my fingers wanted to type it.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2016, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
OMG, his solos on Superstitious are terrifying. If I were a guitar, I'd have been afraid to be within a thousand miles of that guy. Holy shit. I mean, I knew he was good, but...
I accidentally typed "I knew he was god" and I corrected it, but maybe I should have left it the way my fingers wanted to type it.
I played lead guitar for a 70s band called Capital Punishment. Used a Les Paul, and a Fender Mustang that Todd Rungren bought. My guitar style was influenced by Clapton, Page, Winter,
Hendrix, ect...then I moved to Austin and saw SRV live, ditched the Gibson, bought a Strat and a few distortion pedals along with a Crate amp and set out to try to come as close to his sound and technique as I could. I wouldn't say I completely failed, I'm pretty good, but after years of trying, I'm no Stevie Ray, not by a long shot. If you just listen to him with your eyes closed, you would not see what he put into his guitar physically and emotionally. He was a
guitar purist, its what he was put on this earth to do. Wish I could have met him and had him extend some guitar wisdom on me.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2016, 1:33 AM
Meh

26 years ago today, he played his last concert. This stuff still makes my eyes water.

Remembering Stevie Ray Vaughan 26 years after his death, 08.26.16

Death of Stevie Ray Vaughan
Quote:
The day before his death, Vaughan told his band and crew members about a horrible nightmare he had, in which he was at his own funeral and saw thousands of mourners. He felt "terrified, yet almost peaceful."[1] Backstage after the show that evening, the musicians talked about playing together again, particularly with Eric Clapton for a series of dates at London's Royal Albert Hall in February and March 1991, as a tribute to Jimi Hendrix.[2] Moments later, Peter Jackson, Clapton's tour manager, said that the weather was getting worse and they had to leave soon.[3] According to Double Trouble drummer Chris Layton, Vaughan's last words to him were, "I love ya."[4][5]
Video Link
Video Link

-

This was his last performance.

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 27, 2016, 1:59 AM

Just want to throw this in. Sometimes you never forget where you were when you hear bad news like SRV's death. I was almost crushed to death while working on a machine at IBM. During my recuperation, I went for physical therapy on 71 near I35. On the way one day, every radio station was playing SRV. I thought it was odd, but I appreciated it. Got to my p.t. session and they were listening to SRV also. I thought...cool. I asked someone there if they knew why everyone was playing SRV, and they told me he was killed in a helicopter crash after a concert last night. I was stunned. Like Hendrix before him, I still think of how much unfinished business they left behind, but grateful for what they left us. Thanks for posting the vids kevin.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2016, 2:22 AM
Meh

I could watch this stuff for hours.

Video Link
Video Link

Video Link
Video Link

Old Posted Aug 27, 2016, 5:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Sometimes you never forget where you were when you hear bad news like SRV's death. I was almost crushed to death while working on a machine at IBM. During my recuperation, I went for physical therapy on 71 near I35. On the way one day, every radio station was playing SRV. I thought it was odd, but I appreciated it. Got to my p.t. session and they were listening to SRV also. I thought...cool. I asked someone there if they knew why everyone was playing SRV, and they told me he was killed in a helicopter crash after a concert last night. I was stunned. Like Hendrix before him, I still think of how much unfinished business they left behind, but grateful for what they left us. Thanks for posting the vids kevin.
We were probably listening to the same radio station 26 years ago. I remember it too. I had just moved into the University Towers private dorm in West Campus, which had re-opened that year. I had signed up for a quad room, but because they didn't really attract many people that first year, I had a room all to myself. I had put together the two twin beds to make myself a king sized one. Quite luxurious for a poor student. My alarm was radio, and so I woke up to them playing nothing but SRV that morning. I must not have had an early class, cause I just listened in bed, and eventually after a couple of songs the news was repeated. That he had died. Since then, I've always been wary when I hear a bunch of songs from the same artist being played -- wondering if it's for the same reason.

That was a weird year. The first Iraq war had started, and many of us college students worried that a draft could be coming. We had grown up with the cold war and threat of the "big one" with Russia, but that had never happened and Iraq seemed like the first "real" war in our memories.

Austin was exactly as depicted in "Slacker", which was being filmed that year. We'd hang out at Les Amis. I had no idea who Richard Linklater was, but I did know about Robert Rodriguez. He was locally known for his rather cutesy (but very well drawn) comic strip in the Daily Texan.

I was in a band called the Local Prophets at the time. Probably because of Austin guitarists like Eric Johnson and SRV, I had ditched my 80's Jackson shred machine for a Strat. Saved up and purchased it new off the floor from Ray Hennig's on South Lamar. Still have that one.

Anyway, besides the day itself, the whole year is well etched in my memory.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 8:30 PM
Meh

This song was written by Doyle Bramhall and his son Doyle Bramhall II as a tribute to Stevie Ray Vaughan. Doyle Bramhall trained Stevie on vocalization techniques. Bramhall himself died in 2011. Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble, the Arc Angels and the Fabulous Thunderbirds - these guys were the heart and soul of Austin's blues and rock scene in the 80s and 90s.

http://www.metrolyrics.com/see-what-...rc-angels.html
Quote:
Why do things happen this way
I felt so much anger
When they put you away Stevie Ray
Video Link

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 6:57 AM
Meh

So between ACL Fest and SXSW, they pump more than 600 million dollars into Austin's economy every year, and that's during the span of less than 2 weeks.

http://www.mystatesman.com/business/...ZNJ5glfaiLifP/
Quote:
Report: 2016 ACL Fest brought $277.4 million into Austin economy

By Gary Dinges - American-Statesman Staff

The 2016 Austin City Limits Music Festival had an estimated impact of $277.4 million on Austin’s economy, according to a study released Monday.

The study was commissioned by ACL Fest and conducted by Austin-based Angelou Economics.

Of the total estimated economic impact, $124.1 million was directly tied to festival operations, while the remaining $153.3 million came from expenditures made by attendees.

By comparison, South by Southwest, another major Austin event, had a $325.3 million impact on the local economy in 2016, according to a study conducted by consulting firm Greyhill Advisors and paid for by SXSW.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
So between ACL Fest and SXSW, they pump more than 600 million dollars into Austin's economy every year, and that's during the span of less than 2 weeks.

http://www.mystatesman.com/business/...ZNJ5glfaiLifP/
and has donated more than $26m to the Austin Parks since 2002. WOW!

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 10:36 PM
Member since 2001

I like the 2017 ACL lineup! Gonna be fun this year!

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 10:39 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
and has donated more than $26m to the Austin Parks since 2002. WOW!
I believe it goes a lot higher with park redevelopment and other funds associated with its use and damage remediation.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 11:38 PM
Meh

The Bullock Museum had their Stevie Ray Vaughan exhibit. I went, of course.

I had my picture taken next to Stevie's "Number One" Fender Stratocaster. I couldn't believe I was that close to it. Seeing it sitting there silent definitely made me sad.

Stevie's signature "Number One" guitar. He played this guitar from 1973 until the night he died in 1990.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 11:52 PM
World Traveler

Man, as a musician who played in Austin and elsewhere a good bit, that's gold right there. Thanks for sharing, Kevin. Awesome stuff.

That calendar makes me tired though, haha. Glad to see a couple of days off for him in there.

Also, an observation on Number One: you can buy guitars that are worn in the same way that you can buy jeans that are worn (even though they're brand new). Every single one of those dings and worn out spots were earned, which gives it genuine character. Crazy to think of how many awesome songs were written on that song. Wonder how many were written that we'll never know about or hear.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 12:00 AM
Meh

Oh yeah, I thought you'd like that. They even had Chris Layton's drum kit.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Wonder how many were written that we'll never know about or hear.
A few days ago I was listening to my favorite SRV song, Crossfire, and I was thinking that exact same thing. I also can't help but wonder how much more brilliant Jimi Hendrix would have been. Man I love that SRV custom Strat. I love how beat up it is. Willie Nelson's has an old acoustic that's also beat up. I have a black, shiny Strat that I keep all slick and new looking because I'm now like a bench warmer who never gets dirty anymore, short of a few belt buckle scrapes on the back. Seeing that silenced guitar is pretty sad, but its awesome that it is on display along with other memorabilia. I wish we could have it on permanent display here.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 3:35 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Oh yeah, I thought you'd like that. They even had Chris Layton's drum kit.

You're too kind, friend.

So cool.

Quote:
A few days ago I was listening to my favorite SRV song, Crossfire, and I was thinking that exact same thing. I also can't help but wonder how much more brilliant Jimi Hendrix would have been. Man I love that SRV custom Strat. I love how beat up it is. Willie Nelson's has an old acoustic that's also beat up. I have a black, shiny Strat that I keep all slick and new looking because I'm now like a bench warmer who never gets dirty anymore, short of a few belt buckle scrapes on the back. Seeing that silenced guitar is pretty sad, but its awesome that it is on display along with other memorabilia. I wish we could have it on permanent display here.

Kinda makes one wonder if we should have a museum dedicated to this sort of thing along Congress....hmm....

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Kinda makes one wonder if we should have a museum dedicated to this sort of thing along Congress....hmm....

Oh no doubt. It doesn't necessarily need to be on Congress, but certainly down town somewhere. If I recall, there was a recent proposal to have a museum near the Bullock dedicated to Texas music.

Hey, anyone know happened to the Hard Rock Café Austin?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 5:35 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Oh no doubt. It doesn't necessarily need to be on Congress, but certainly down town somewhere. If I recall, there was a recent proposal to have a museum near the Bullock dedicated to Texas music.

I was referring to the one by Bullock. Not sure about Hard Rock.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 6:09 AM

Quote:

It closed like 10 years ago. IIRC, it was after the chain had a big expansion period then fell on some financial hard times and the parent company was sold. The one in Austin never really took off, and wasn't open for very long. Part of the problem was that it's styled as an iconic live music venue/restaurant, and putting it in DT Austin meant it competed with some REAL iconic music venues of similar size. Places like Antone's, Maggie Mae's, Steamboat (at the time), Continental Club, Threadgill's, Saxon Pub, etc. Going to the Hard Rock Cafe in Austin, TX would have been like going to a Pizza Hut in Italy.

Perhaps if the Domain was around when it opened, that might have been a better location.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 11:48 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
It closed like 10 years ago. IIRC, it was after the chain had a big expansion period then fell on some financial hard times and the parent company was sold. The one in Austin never really took off, and wasn't open for very long. Part of the problem was that it's styled as an iconic live music venue/restaurant, and putting it in DT Austin meant it competed with some REAL iconic music venues of similar size. Places like Antone's, Maggie Mae's, Steamboat (at the time), Continental Club, Threadgill's, Saxon Pub, etc. Going to the Hard Rock Cafe in Austin, TX would have been like going to a Pizza Hut in Italy.

Perhaps if the Domain was around when it opened, that might have been a better location.
Not a fan of Hard Rock coming back to Austin, but if it were to come, I could see it trying the Domain also.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin