Originally Posted by Doug
Calgary: bump up the annual average temperature by 10C
So .... convince the government to expand the oilsands?
- Demolish Tuft's Cove and replace it with a greener power plant in the suburbs.
- Restart the ferry expansion plans in Bedford and Birch Cove. Look into expanding into Eastern Passage and Burnside.
- Enact better by-laws for new subdivisions requiring things like buried powerlines and minimum tree coverage.
- Expand the heritage districts across the urban center with the tradeoff of higher densities outside of them.
- Create the first streetcar line
- Improve traffic flow through roundabouts and reversing lanes.
For fellow Haligonians more specific;
- Close down Spring Garden to private vehicles. Allow pedestrians, buses, streetcars, taxis, and local delivery vehicles (off peak hours).
- Create a streetcar line from Scotia Square to Mumford via Route 1.
- Create feasible redevelopment plans of Dartmouth Cove, Turfts Cove, Shannon Park, and Halifax Forum Lands along with any other large underused sites in the urban core.
- Consider pedestrian malls on Agricola, Gottingen, Portland and other retail-dominated streets with low traffic volumes.
- Build the Sackville Greenway and Bedford Basin Trail, connect them to existing AT corridors.
- Allow for continued suburban expansion BUT place limit based on community population (ie maximum 10% of community population/year).
- Expand HRM_by_Design to all of the Urban Centre via the Centre Plan.