HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 2:36 AM

Montreal 2.0: Paris this Ain't

Sure you've got the Old Port, the Plateau and Mile End to name a select few. Sure you've got that neighbourhood charm, the winding staircases, the je-ne-sais-quoi that makes living here so great. But on an impossibly clear day like today, the Montreal to photograph is the one of skyscrapers and modernist monoliths. And contrary to popular belief, the city is rather well-stocked in this regard, and quite a few more towers are on the way. Enjoy!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 6:41 AM
International

Yeah, I've visited both this year, and the two cities look nothing alike visually. Montréal looks alot more like Philly, Boston, or parts of
Chicago with its greystones and three-flats, than it does with Paris' endless monotony of 6-story Haussmannian apartment blocks.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 1:02 AM

Cool set!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 5:11 AM

I can dig it. Nice set

Old Posted Sep 23, 2012, 6:54 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post
Yeah, I've visited both this year, and the two cities look nothing alike visually. Montréal looks alot more like Philly, Boston, or parts of
Chicago with its greystones and three-flats, than it does with Paris' endless monotony of 6-story Haussmannian apartment blocks.
Agree; and that's what it should look like. Montreal is a north American city, not a European one. I've always found it strange that people think it would be similar to France because they share the same language. Does Toronto or New York look like Britain? Does Rio de Janeiro look like Lisbon?

Montreal's suburbs look quintessentially north American as well. Old Montreal is gorgeous, but not what most of the city looks like:

Downtown par le calmar, sur Flickr

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 7:04 PM
Red October standing by

thanks for the pics.

what's this tower?

-

-fflint

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSyd View Post
thanks for the pics.

what's this tower?

-
This is 1250 René-Lévesque, or the "IBM Building" as it is commonly known, even though I'm not sure if the company even has offices there anymore. It is one of Montreal's tallest office towers, built in 1992.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Agree; and that's what it should look like. Montreal is a north American city, not a European one. I've always found it strange that people think it would be similar to France because they share the same language. Does Toronto or New York look like Britain? Does Rio de Janeiro look like Lisbon?

Montreal's suburbs look quintessentially north American as well. Old Montreal is gorgeous, but not what most of the city looks like:

Downtown par le calmar, sur Flickr
Woah, holy McMansion! This reminds me of the incredible diversity of urban form within single urban areas. I live across that bridge up in Mile End, and this picture looks like another planet to me...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos