New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 11:28 AM

Smile NEW YORK | 360 10th Avenue | 1,000 FT | 67 FLOORS

http://therealdeal.com/issues_articl...-hudson-yards/
Hudson Yards — the next frontier in hotel development

November 01, 2012
By C. J. Hughes

Quote:
Lampen added that there’s a state-owned (and similarly empty) parcel that might be desirable for a hotel south of Javits, too. The site of a truck parking lot, it’s a skinny lot located between West 34th and West 35th streets from 11th to 12th avenues.

Those types of smaller lots can be advantageous, said Ryan Nelson, a vice president at Sherwood Equities, the developer that’s planning a 700,000-square-foot hotel for a corner lot at 360 10th Avenue at West 30th Street.

The 50-story hotel, which is still in the design stages and has not yet been permitted, could have up to 500 rooms and also may contain offices,
said Nelson. The building “should” be completed in 2016, he said.
Nice to see that something is returning to the site of this dead project: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=131931

Last edited by Eidolon; Nov 21, 2012 at 11:45 AM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 2:56 PM
New Yorker for life

With the activation of the 3rd phase of the High Line coming, and the Coach tower taking shape, this will be a critical site in the link.

Here's a look at Extell's old plans for the site:

And what it looked like a few years ago...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 3:05 PM

I wonder if the skybridge connecting to the Highline is still a part of the plan.

(Pic by antinimby)

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 4:44 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
I wonder if the skybridge connecting to the Highline is still a part of the plan.
We know that Brookfield plans a connection with Manhattan West. My guess is that it will all be connected. Everyone wants a piece of the High Line, and why not.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 6:57 PM

A 50 story hotel sounds extremely disappointing for this site. NY hotels are often built with very low quality construction and design. I hope that that they integrate residential into the mix and build it to the 60+ story envelope thats possible on the site.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
AI hope that that they integrate residential into the mix and build it to the 60+ story envelope thats possible on the site.
There are no height limits on this site. They can build as tall as they prefer.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
A 50 story hotel sounds extremely disappointing for this site. NY hotels are often built with very low quality construction and design. I hope that that they integrate residential into the mix and build it to the 60+ story envelope thats possible on the site.
The development will probably not be just a hotel since offices are mentioned as being part of the plan too. Besides, this will be right next to the Highline and the Hudson Yards "twin" towers, so I don't believe that they would put up anything short of another great building.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2012, 1:32 AM

http://www.sherwood-equities.com/
Quote:
Site 4, is located on 10th Avenue between 30th and 31st streets, adjacent ot the Highline, where a 67 story, 600,000 square foot mixed-use building has been designed. Uses can include office, hotel and residential.

The fact that this building will be darker than it's neighbours makes it much more interesting than if it were just another blue glass tower. Thread title needs to be changed btw.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2012, 2:30 AM

oh nice dont see many dark tower proposals lately lol kind of reminds me of girasole from the top of the tower

Old Posted Nov 22, 2012, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Here's a look at Extell's old plans for the site:
-
I liked this design.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2012, 12:14 AM

I preferred the old design too. It had 61 stories and was supposed to 774 FT. Now with 10 floors unless I just want to see ...

Old Posted Nov 23, 2012, 3:24 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
http://www.sherwood-equities.com/

The fact that this building will be darker than it's neighbours makes it much more interesting than if it were just another blue glass tower. Thread title needs to be changed btw.
I don't think that's the accurate rendering for the 67-story tower, but another "placeholder" design. We'll see.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2012, 7:49 PM

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...7&postcount=15
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000
On to this site, the site is boarded up with hugely tall blue ply wood, probably ten feet tall, so it's really hard to see into the site but there's definitely a backhoe on site as I could just make out the top of it. Because how well it's boarded up it's really hard to say if there's anything else on site. Obviously no workers on site day after Thanksgiving, but I'll wander up the High Line next week when workers would be on site, if there are any.
Looks like this might be U/C in 2013!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2012, 8:02 PM

^

Beat me to it! Ha.

Like I said on SSC, I'll swing by next week when workers would be scheduled to be on site. The way the hotel market is right now, I would not at all be surprised by a 2013 start date.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 12:05 AM
New Yorker for life

Interesting bit about this development in the article below...

I wasn't too sure about Brookfield's plan to put a residential tower on the west side of the Manhattan West development, but this tower would help ease that transition, further integrating the large complexes into mixed-use residential and commercial. This could be the piece to complete the puzzle...

Old Posted Sep 3, 2013, 1:50 PM

This property changes hands once again, with a huge return.

Frank McCourt Buys $167 Million Manhattan Site
By LAURA KUSISTO
September 3, 2013 | Wall Street Journal

Quote:
Former Los Angeles Dodgers owner Frank McCourt, who made his early fortune as a Boston developer, has made his first major New York purchase: a roughly $167 million development site on Manhattan's West Side.

Mr. McCourt plans soon to begin developing on the site of what would be his largest real-estate development ever.

His plans call for a 730,000-square-foot tower on the site, which would include both residential and office space, according to a person familiar with the company's plans.

The property sits in the heart of a new $15 billion office and residential district planned for the city's far West Side.

Mr. McCourt's Los Angeles-based real-estate investment company, McCourt Group, opened an office in midtown Manhattan in January and has been scouting the city for investments.

The deal underscores the sharp increases in prime Manhattan property in the past few years.

McCourt Group, which planned to announce the deal Tuesday morning, will pay more than triple what the previous owners, New York-based Sherwood Equities and Boston-based Long Wharf Real Estate Partners, paid in 2011.

Sherwood bought the property at 10th Avenue and 30th Street for $43.5 million after Barclays Capital Real Estate had taken it back from a prior owner.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2013, 6:38 PM
New Yorker for life

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2013/09/...west-side-buy/

Ex-Dodgers owner slides into NYC with $167M West Side buy

September 03, 2013
Hiten Samtani

Quote:
Frank McCourt, the former owner of the Los Angeles Dodgers who made his name in Boston real estate, has made his first New York City buy: a $167 million development site on Manhattan’s Far West Side where he plans to build a 730,000-square-foot mixed-use tower.

McCourt will pay more than three times the $43.5 million that the current owners, a partnership between New York-based Sherwood Equities and Boston-based Long Wharf Real Estate Partners, paid for the site at 10th Avenue and 30th Street in 2011.

McCourt’s site is directly opposite the Related Companies’ 46-story South Tower, which will be anchored by luxury retailer Coach.

Looking forward to the plans.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 12:41 PM
New Yorker for life

Jeff Katz discusses the sale....(video)

http://media.crainsnewyork.com/video...on-real-estate

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 4:31 AM

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 1:25 PM
New Yorker for life

We've been waiting for a tower on this site for so long. I'm ready to see a rendering.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals