HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     
Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 11:06 PM
AmericanGuy AmericanGuy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 21
Gated Communities across Canada

...

Last edited by AmericanGuy; May 1, 2014 at 4:36 AM. Reason: Addition
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 11:12 PM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 7,376
Gated communities are illegal in Nova Scotia.

The end.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 11:15 PM
kw5150's Avatar
kw5150 kw5150 is offline
Here and There
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,746
gross. The false sense of security is alarming. I would never live in one of these. If they make you feel special....all the power to ya. Is the USA one giant gated community?
__________________
Up on the hill, in Renfew, Calgary, Alberta. Formerly lived in the Beltline (and loved it).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 11:39 PM
AmericanGuy AmericanGuy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
gross. The false sense of security is alarming. I would never live in one of these. If they make you feel special....all the power to ya. Is the USA one giant gated community?
There are many gated communities in my area, i happen to live in one myself
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 11:45 PM
cormiermax's Avatar
cormiermax cormiermax is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Halifax
Posts: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanGuy View Post
There are many gated communities in my area, i happen to live in one myself
I guess they make sense in a crime ridden place like the US.
__________________
http://v2studio.ca/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 1:41 AM
freeweed's Avatar
freeweed freeweed is offline
Home of Hyperchange
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dynamic City, Alberta
Posts: 17,378
I have to wonder if we're being trolled here, boys.
__________________
Suburbs are the friends with benefits of the housing world.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 2:46 AM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 7,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanGuy View Post
There are many gated communities in my area, i happen to live in one myself
My condolences.......

Whatever happened to the land of the free and the home of the brave?

Welcome to Canada, the other better America!
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 3:03 AM
Innsertnamehere's Avatar
Innsertnamehere Innsertnamehere is online now
Insertoronto
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,215
there is a gated community near me, kind of. No fences, and if you wanted to you could just park your car and walk in... but still. Its just an exurban currently incomplete subdivision with a golf course attached. I know a couple of people who live in it, and they largely see it for the golf course and the nice houses, and don't give a crap about the fact that it is gated.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 3:44 AM
AmericanGuy AmericanGuy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Gated communities are illegal in Nova Scotia.

The end.
But there are gated communities in nova scotia..
Google "Reagan Shores" in Simms Settlement
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 4:45 AM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 7,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanGuy View Post
But there are gated communities in nova scotia..
Google "Reagan Shores" in Simms Settlement
Huh and another one in Enfield and one planned for Sydney popped up as well.

I know I was told they are illegal by a reliable source. The only possibility I see is its illegal in HRM and not its neighbours?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 5:00 AM
MTLskyline's Avatar
MTLskyline MTLskyline is offline
The good old days are now
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,668
The Town of Mount Royal is a bit of a gated community. The fence was put up along l'Acadie Blvd. apparently to keep children from running into traffic. Although many suspect it was actually put up to keep the low-income immigrant Park Extension residents out. (http://marcellodicintio.com/tag/parc-extension/)

Here is a satellite photo in which you can easily tell which part is TMR and which is Park Ex.
__________________
MTLskyline goes to BrusselsBruges/GhentLilleParis
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 5:42 AM
Wharn's Avatar
Wharn Wharn is offline
Torontonian Refugee
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Ontar-i-o
Posts: 954
Interesting contrast. That's one of my new favourite urban satellite images, right next to the post-apocalyptic maps of Detroit.

As long as people who live in extremely low-density gated communities are assessed a higher MIL rate to compensate for the higher cost of service delivery, I really could not care less. I've never really understood the point, actually, because the only people those lame little fences would keep out are timid, law-abiding Canadians who wouldn't dare break the rules. Anyone without any regard for law and order is going to have a mighty easy time getting in.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 10:57 AM
kool maudit's Avatar
kool maudit kool maudit is offline
almost certainly
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: copenhagen
Posts: 8,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Is the USA one giant gated community?


yes. the united states of america is one giant gated community.


god, the narcissism of minor differences in this country.


i almost feel like "americanguy" is some sort of social experiment, or like we're being trolled.
__________________
over the loudspeaker about the hard times
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 10:58 AM
kool maudit's Avatar
kool maudit kool maudit is offline
almost certainly
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: copenhagen
Posts: 8,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Welcome to Canada, the other better America!




we are the new "ugly americans." i am more and more convinced of this. in the expat community in pristina, the actual americans are quite circumspect, reserved, wary of nationalist discussions.

the canadians are insufferable.
__________________
over the loudspeaker about the hard times
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 11:53 AM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
Mrs. Tom Servo
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador
Posts: 13,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
we are the new "ugly americans." i am more and more convinced of this. in the expat community in pristina, the actual americans are quite circumspect, reserved, wary of nationalist discussions.

the canadians are insufferable.
Brutal.

******

As for gated communities. I hate them. I was going to type I disliked them, but it is actual hatred.

They offend me for two reasons:

1. They are suburban sprawl. I consider suburban sprawl to be selfish and based on unsustainable expectations. I believe we should be doing everything in our power to encourage density and discourage sprawl.

2. They a selfish, cowardly, inexcusable reaction to social tension. Gated communities represent the people most capable of supporting positive change in society as a whole instead choosing to circle the wagons. They may offer a temporary sense of security, but they are a giant leap toward the type of society that will offer no security at all.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 4:07 PM
le calmar's Avatar
le calmar le calmar is offline
514
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sherbrooke, Eastern Townships (QC)
Posts: 2,172
There are at least 2 gated communities in Boisbriand, on the North Shore of Montreal. As far as I know there is no fence so anybody can walk in.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 4:36 PM
SteelTown's Avatar
SteelTown SteelTown is offline
It's Hammer Time
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 16,794
There's a few along Twenty Road in Hamilton, the very outer edge of Hamilton.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Hamilto...,11.61,,0,2.74
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 5:15 PM
bulliver's Avatar
bulliver bulliver is offline
So very tired...
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Old Strathcona, Edmonton
Posts: 3,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfoundlander View Post
As for gated communities. I hate them. I was going to type I disliked them, but it is actual hatred.

They offend me for two reasons:

1. They are suburban sprawl. I consider suburban sprawl to be selfish and based on unsustainable expectations. I believe we should be doing everything in our power to encourage density and discourage sprawl.

2. They a selfish, cowardly, inexcusable reaction to social tension. Gated communities represent the people most capable of supporting positive change in society as a whole instead choosing to circle the wagons. They may offer a temporary sense of security, but they are a giant leap toward the type of society that will offer no security at all.
Agree 100%, they are offensive to me as well.
__________________
Support the mob or mysteriously disappear...
Ipernity | Recent SSP Photo threads:
Two Days in Winnipeg | Stuff I've seen so far this year in Edmonton | Rural Alberta Advantage | Edmonton AB - Third Quarter 2011
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 5:33 PM
red-paladin's Avatar
red-paladin red-paladin is offline
Vancouver Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 1,880
I think that gated communities should be illegal.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 5:47 PM
waterloowarrior's Avatar
waterloowarrior waterloowarrior is offline
National Capital Region
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 6,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
Interesting contrast. That's one of my new favourite urban satellite images, right next to the post-apocalyptic maps of Detroit.

As long as people who live in extremely low-density gated communities are assessed a higher MIL rate to compensate for the higher cost of service delivery, I really could not care less. I've never really understood the point, actually, because the only people those lame little fences would keep out are timid, law-abiding Canadians who wouldn't dare break the rules. Anyone without any regard for law and order is going to have a mighty easy time getting in.
People on private roads have a lower cost for the municipality (compared to regular subdivisions). The garbage, road plowing, road maintenance, etc are all done through condo corporation or other arrangement, and don't cost the taxpayers anything.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
   
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:44 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.