HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

520 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 12:09 PM

Smile NEW YORK | 520 Park Ave (45 East 60th) | 780 FT | 52 FLOORS

RobertWalpole posted on SSC about an application that was recently filed for this tower that's being developed by Zeckendorf, the developers of 15CP West. Needless to say I'm absolutely thrilled right now.

It's always nice to see Midtown's skyline extending further.

Last edited by Eidolon; Dec 14, 2012 at 1:32 PM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 1:13 PM

It looks like the lot has roughly same sq. footage as the tower portion of 432 Park Ave.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 1:24 PM
New Yorker for life

It will be a relatively "small" building with only 40 units (there are more floors because of the duplexes at the top after the 30th floor), but the trend for higher units pushes it up there. It will probably be a little higher than 725 ft.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
It will probably be a little higher than 725 ft.
I agree, my guess is that this won't break 800ft.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 1:38 PM

good to see the skyline stretching further north. I wonder how the Upper Eastside nimbys will deal with this one's "encroachment."

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakegz View Post
good to see the skyline stretching further north. I wonder how the Upper Eastside nimbys will deal with this one's "encroachment."
I believe they will be too busy crying over 432 Park and 225 W57th that they will not notice this tower before it's too late.

With 225 W57th having the tallest roof in America, I belive that organized opposition to buildings less than 1,000ft tall will largely dissappear from the agenda of Upper Eastside NIMBYism.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 1:52 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakegz View Post
That area is pretty dense, if not as high. The GM building is the closest behemoth to it, and it will have great views of - Central Park.

Anomalous_A

(it would appear on the left side of photo)

Block view on google maps...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Dec 14, 2012 at 2:23 PM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 5:24 PM

Wow, I just noticed on the application that this building will be 51 stories high, yet have only 40 units. That fact, combined with its location, will make this building incredibly high end, to say the least.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackster99 View Post
Wow, I just noticed on the application that this building will be 51 stories high, yet have only 40 units. That fact, combined with its location, will make this building incredibly high end, to say the least.
This will probably be one of the most high-end buildings on earth. It's the same developers as 15 CPW, which, when built, broke all sales price records.

I think, given this location, you could beat prices at 15 CPW.

It should also be a super high-quality building. The developers (Zeckendorfs) usually only use Robert AM Stern or other starchitects, and use high quality materials like Indiana limestone (on the entire facade, not just the bottom floors).

Hopefully this building will approach or top 800 ft. Those high-floor Central Park and Upper East Side views will likely be incredible.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 8:31 PM
New Yorker for life

I like this trend of building higher for residential units. And its not just that they're building high, but the locations offer some of the best real estate in the City.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 12:56 AM
Khurram Parvaz

This new development intrigued me, so I said why not one more time. (Rules are meant to be broken, I guess).

I will block the Bloomberg Tower, as a sign of how big it will be. It will also probably be a throwback A.M Stern building. See you in two months.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 1:02 AM

Excellent news! Good height for this place.
Can not wait to see the render. It would be great to see an art deco this site.

Last edited by reencharles; Dec 15, 2012 at 1:13 AM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 1:23 AM

This kinda came out of nowhere. I'd love to see some sort of a crown on this to break up the flat roof trend of neighboring buildings in the same height range, and to relate to the older residential buildings nearby right on the park, just have to wait and see I guess.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 2:00 AM
Come As You Are

This was needed here... Looking forward to the design.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
This was needed here... Looking forward to the design.
I agree, it will help balance the sheer height of 432 Park along with 105 W57th in addition to lengthening the chain of tall buildings that (currently) ends at the Time Warner Center.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
This kinda came out of nowhere.
This project has actually been in development for many years. The Zeckendorfs announced they would eventually do a ultra-luxury project here maybe a decade ago. Robert AM Stern was always the rumored architect.

But now it looks like it's about to break ground. In the last few days, they have filed tons of permits with the Buildings departments. All that paperwork isn't filed unless construction is very imminent.

And, yeah, this location would be perfect for a crown. A nice, narrow 800+ foot tower would be great for where Midtown meets the Upper East Side.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
I will block the Bloomberg Tower, as a sign of how big it will be. It will also probably be a throwback A.M Stern building. See you in two months.
Keep in mind that this new tower will be narrow. Not super-narrow, like 107 W. 57, but still rather narrow. I don't think it will block many views. You could probably cut the width of your building rendering in half.

Remember, only 40 units in a tower of this height. So many of these will be multi-floor units, and the overall width of the tower will be narrower than office buildings like GM Building and Bloomberg Tower.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 4:12 PM

Thanks for the summary Crawford. I'd be real happy with a Stern building here, his designs tend to be more old school which would be a good fit for the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
I agree, it will help balance the sheer height of 432 Park along with 105 W57th in addition to lengthening the chain of tall buildings that (currently) ends at the Time Warner Center.
Don't forget about 610 Lexington!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 4:58 PM

This was a pleasant surprise when I first saw the thread...but now that I can see where it's going, all the better. Something with a crown-like top *would* be a nice contrast to the GM (705') and 9W57/Solow (689') duo.

Don't forget 250 W 57th either.

Last edited by JayPro; Dec 15, 2012 at 5:11 PM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 5:53 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Keep in mind that this new tower will be narrow. Not super-narrow, like 107 W. 57, but still rather narrow. I don't think it will block many views. You could probably cut the width of your building rendering in half.

Remember, only 40 units in a tower of this height. So many of these will be multi-floor units,
Yeah, the top floors will be duplexes. The 40 units gives an indication that this will be a very thin, yet ultra-luxury development (location doesn't hurt either). We can look forward to more of these types being developed as everyone goes after the better views.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive