HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

SkyHouse Houston in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Houston Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Houston Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 8:49 PM
FYHA

Lightbulb HOUSTON | SkyHouse Houston | 262 FT / 80 M | 24 FLOORS

Generic SkyHouse Image Link/HBJ: http://assets.bizjournals.com/housto...20edit.jpg?v=1

Project in Brief: Novare and Batson Cook of Atlanta are teaming with Dienna Nelson Augustine of Houston to develop a rental highrise similar to projects with the same name in Atlanta, Austin, Orlando and Raleigh. The only discernable differences are that it appears to have one more floor (24 vs 23) and a few more units (336 in this version). Novare had expressed interest in building in the area as early as 2007.

It will be located at 1625 Main Street, Block 350 (Main/Leeland/Fannin/Pease), within a block of the Bell Station(s) on MetroRail's Red/Main Street Line.

It is the first project built in the Downtown area that will be taking advantage of new incentives offered by the City to expand residential options within the district, and the project was approved in November.

Stories indicate that construction could begin in early 2013 with completion in Q1 2014.

Project announcement: http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/p...group-inc.html

Incentives approved: http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/n...entivized.html

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Jul 11, 2013 at 9:22 PM.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 9:00 PM

There are actually two Skyhouse designs. And evidently, Houston has chosen the better one, the one without the airplane hanger roof. Orlando's getting the better one, Atlanta the uglier one.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2012, 3:41 AM
TL;DR

I''m surprised we haven't gotten a Novare tower in New Orleans. It's probably just a matter of time, but I'm kinda glad... that chrome-blue glass and precast concrete is pretty bad, and they'd probably try to add some tacky NOLA-ish gallery to it.

I do like 360 in Austin... I would accept something of that quality for NOLA.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2012, 4:02 AM
Meh

^I think 360 is one of our best buildings really. I'm hoping Austin's Skyhouse turns out as nice as 360 did. Novare is capable of doing some really nice towers. I LOVE their design for the Ovation proposal in Austin. That one hasn't happened yet, but if it does, it might just be my favorite Austin building.

Rendering is here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show....php?p=5808323

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 29, 2012, 4:08 AM

Every city in the US should have a Skyhouse! It'll be like the new IKEA!

Old Posted Dec 29, 2012, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
There are actually two Skyhouse designs. And evidently, Houston has chosen the better one, the one without the airplane hanger roof. Orlando's getting the better one, Atlanta the uglier one.
Atlanta's actually getting both, although I can't decide if that's a good or bad thing... The first is pretty much done and the second is supposed to start in January. I guess the benefit of these projects is that they add a good chunk of people to an area, hopefully improving it's walkability by adding more retail, etc.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2012, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaMustang View Post
Atlanta's actually getting both, although I can't decide if that's a good or bad thing... The first is pretty much done and the second is supposed to start in January. I guess the benefit of these projects is that they add a good chunk of people to an area, hopefully improving it's walkability by adding more retail, etc.
Great, now everybody's going to want two Skyhouses.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2012, 11:13 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Great, now everybody's going to want two Skyhouses.
A taller Skyhouse.

-sb

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 9:28 PM

What's the latest news on this? Is it canceled?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 7:20 PM

According to Nancy Sarnoff over at the Chronicle, today was the "official" groundbreaking for the tower. The land and financing have been secured!

Crews are dismantling the parking lot today by removing all of the parking meters. Nice to see this one fast-tracked and also not surprising given the high occupancy of rental units in downtown proper.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
According to Nancy Sarnoff over at the Chronicle, today was the "official" groundbreaking for the tower. The land and financing have been secured!

Crews are dismantling the parking lot today by removing all of the parking meters. Nice to see this one fast-tracked and also not surprising given the high occupancy of rental units in downtown proper.
This will be up in no time. Novare doesn't mess around. Orlando Skyhouse just broke ground last October and they're already up to the 19th floor.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 9:14 PM
Ex Houstonian

Oh wow, its about freaking time downtown got another residential tower. This will block the view I had from Houston House though. Id imagine the owners of Houston House arent happy about this. I cant wait to see it rise though. Awesome!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 1:53 AM

Like Dale says, this tower will be up in no time. The one in Austin is rising quickly as well, seems like there on a new floor ever 4 or 5 days.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 2:53 AM

If I lived in Houston House, I'd be thrilled that 400+ new neighbors will be joining the island and a surface lot is disappearing. Who knows, maybe another project or two will get going if Novare is successful...

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Like Dale says, this tower will be up in no time. The one in Austin is rising quickly as well, seems like there on a new floor ever 4 or 5 days.
4 to 5 days is relatively normal schedule, however most projects in Houston have a hard time doing a floor every 2 weeks. How quick it goes up will all be determined on the GC and subs, but mind you Houston is slow compared to other cities with construction

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 2:13 AM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Jones View Post
... but mind you Houston is slow compared to other cities with construction
Based off of?

-sb

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
I had heard there was a shovel stuck in the ground for this one. So that, plus the Marquis, plus 609 Main could make for an interesting change in the skyline.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
Based off of?
Based on the speed of contrcution compared to other major cities in the country. Ive build buildings all over the country, houston by far is one of the slowest. Just look at Austin, they build a lot faster and now starting to be a lot bigger than Houston.

Its nothing wrong, its just Houston uses a lot of old design systems that are slow and Developers, A&E and Contractors in the city do not push change like in other parts of the country or even in Texas.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 6:07 PM
FYHA

While the webcam isn't up and running yet, the Houston project has been added to the webcam page for each of the SkyHouse buildings under construction.

http://oxblue.com/open/SkyHouseApartments

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 7:07 PM
Seeker of the Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Great news! We need the infill here!

VISIT IT!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive