HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Waller Center Tower B in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Austin Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 3:42 AM
Meh

AUSTIN | Waterline (98 Red River) | 1,022 FT / 312 M | 73 FLOORS

Proposed project: 3 downtown towers, one up to 65 stories

From the article:

$500 million mixed use project

It'll occupy 3 acres at East Cesar Chavez and Red River streets near Waller Creek.

Condos/Hotel tower - 65 floors

Apartment tower - 35 to 45 floors

Office tower - 17 to 20 floors

The project would include retail and likely restaurant space in a riverwalk setting.

Groundbreaking - mid to late 2014.

They plan to file a site plan with the city within 90 days.

The three blue towers are part of the project. The two buildings shown in the rendering that are not part of the project are: The Shore Condominiums which is 257 feet tall, and the Lakeside Apartments which is 147 feet tall.

The shorter building, which is the office building, seems to be 225 to 250 feet. The middle tower seems to be 475 to 500 feet. The tallest one I would estimate is around 750 feet.

But, assuming the floor-to-floor heights are the same for this tower as they are for the W Hotel & Residences, which is both hotel and condos, it could be as tall as 829 feet then, but the rendering doesn't seem to show it that tall.

New design:

We have a new design with one tower for this site. This is estimated to be a supertall.

Thou shall not indict

Last edited by Urbannizer; Sep 6, 2022 at 6:11 PM.

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 3:52 AM

Never saw this coming. Are these guys fairly heavy hitters ?

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 4:14 AM

" MAN! " Austin is another city ' on fire '.

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 7:11 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Exciting times to live in Austin!

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 12:54 PM
Resident Moron

Fantastic! Love the look of the complex as well.

This is right next door to the proposed Fairmont hotel is it not?

Hopefully this comes to fruition, Austin is on fire.. and it seems that the center of downtown is shifting closer to the river and further away from the Capital/6th street coridoor.

Waller Creek tunnel may be the best money Austin has ever spent.

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 3:23 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I just had a building orgasm

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 5:15 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I just had a building orgasm
How long was the spire?

Some of you mentioned schematics of sort. I cannot find any in this thread or within the article.

-sb

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 6:19 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
How long was the spire?

Some of you mentioned schematics of sort. I cannot find any in this thread or within the article.
I posted the rendering up there. Can you not see it?

Statesman.com is trying out a new "MyStatesman" paid subscription deal. After May 11th articles won't be shown in full. You'll have to pay to read the full article. But, they are still allowing a preview of the new system and they're allowing full articles to be read.

Just click on 'continue reading'
http://www.statesman.com/news/busine...o-65-st/nXdk3/

The rendering has been added to the article now and there's also a map showing where this will be. The rendering is showing the site from the northwest looking southeast. This project would be in Southeastern downtown, near the river and I-35. You can see a sliver of the river on the right hand side of the rendering. I-35 would be behind the buildings 2 blocks to the east. There are no height restrictions in that area of downtown since it is not within the Capitol View Corridor. There is also another project, the 50-story Fairmont Hotel that is planned caddy corner to the office tower of this project. There's also a 39-story residential tower planned for a site just west of this project.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 4:28 AM
Meh

KVUE did a mock rendering of the project. It should be noted that these are NOT the designs. ^The building on the left kind of looks like One Canada Square in London, and the one on the right is Houston's Memorial Medical Plaza (shrunk a bit). I'm not sure what building that is in the middle.

Proposed towers possibly Austin's tallest buildings

Thou shall not indict

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; May 3, 2013 at 8:14 PM.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 3:42 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I posted the rendering up there. Can you not see it?

Statesman.com is trying out a new "MyStatesman" paid subscription deal. After May 11th articles won't be shown in full. You'll have to pay to read the full article. But, they are still allowing a preview of the new system and they're allowing full articles to be read.

Just click on 'continue reading'
http://www.statesman.com/news/busine...o-65-st/nXdk3/

The rendering has been added to the article now and there's also a map showing where this will be. The rendering is showing the site from the northwest looking southeast. This project would be in Southeastern downtown, near the river and I-35. You can see a sliver of the river on the right hand side of the rendering. I-35 would be behind the buildings 2 blocks to the east. There are no height restrictions in that area of downtown since it is not within the Capitol View Corridor. There is also another project, the 50-story Fairmont Hotel that is planned caddy corner to the office tower of this project. There's also a 39-story residential tower planned for a site just west of this project.
The problem is on my end. I can see the renderings when viewing with my phone. However I cannot see them on the work laptop.

-sb

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 5:49 AM

Nice proposal Austin!

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 8:23 PM

I think this project has a good chance of getting off the ground. Some of the financing is already in place, and I think the rest should be coming soon because all of the large downtown condo towers are virtually sold out, and condos are a large component of the 65-story tower. Prices for condos have soared due to the low supply. The fact that all of the residential projects under construction are apartments is surprising considering the lack of available condos.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 9:54 PM

I calculated a height of 975 feet for the tallest tower in the complex, but this doesn't include architectural features which could make this tower higher than 1,000 feet.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
I calculated a height of 975 feet for the tallest tower in the complex, but this doesn't include architectural features which could make this tower higher than 1,000 feet.
My main concern (which has been voiced by others in the Austin section) is that the developers pulled a bait and switch with another property immediately before this proposal was announced. They had plans for twin 50-story apartment towers near this proposal, and they sold the land to a Houston developer who promptly announced an 8-story suburban style apartment development (on a site that had no height limitations!)

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 7:41 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
How in the world do you get a nearly a 1,000 feet for a 65 floor condo/hotel tower? It'd be hard to get that kind of height out of a 65-story office building.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 8:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
How in the world do you get a nearly a 1,000 feet for a 65 floor condo/hotel tower? It'd be hard to get that kind of height out of a 65-story office building.
I accidentally calculated using office floor height so that was a big mistake, and I don't think it would be that hard to get it out of an office building. The Transbay Tower has 61 floors and is over 1,000 feet tall.

However after changing the height of the floors to a more realistic 8 feet floor to ceiling height I only got 520 feet which is still not bad. This excludes architectural features however.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 8:14 AM
Meh

^EDIT, only using the 8 foot floor to ceiling height, though, doesn't include mechanical and slab height between floors.

Yeah, I'm thinking more like 750 feet or so going by the rendering. The Austonian has 56 floors and it's 683 feet. This tower would have a hotel use also. Comparing it to the W Austin Hotel & Residences which has hotel and condos, that building is 472 feet with 37 floors. So I guess on the high side this new tower could be up to 829 feet. It's possible I guess that if they tacked on a crown and spire that it could reach 1,000 feet, but who knows.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 9:21 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
It's possible I guess that if they tacked on a crown and spire that it could reach 1,000 feet, but who knows.
Kevin, let's back up a bit here: it's possible I guess that this building could be built, but who really knows.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 10:00 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

A 1,000' tower+spire there would be ridiculous. I'm not against it. But I won't hold my breath.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 5:08 PM
Meh

I would actually like something tall there. Can you imagine? I've always loved waterfront skylines, and this would really make a big impact on that. Think Detroit's Renaissance Center.

Thou shall not indict

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction