HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 19, 2013, 3:03 PM
Couch-surfing provider

CLEVELAND: Faces of the City through Glowrock's Lens

A collection of photos I took while on a day-trip to Cleveland yesterday. Includes West End Market, Hessler St. Fair and a couple of nearby locales. Hope you enjoy!

Aaron (Glowrock)

-------------------------------------------------------------
Hot in Cleveland! (Sorry MayDay, just HAD to go there! Hahaha)

Let's play Guess the Forumer!

"The three most beautiful cities in the world are Paris, St. Petersburg & Pittsburgh. If Pittsburgh were situated somewhere in the heart of Europe tourists would eagerly journey hundreds of miles out of their way to visit it." The New Yorker Jan. 9, 1989

Last edited by glowrock; May 19, 2013 at 6:18 PM.

Old Posted May 19, 2013, 3:18 PM

You're the portrait master.

Old Posted May 19, 2013, 3:30 PM
Couch-surfing provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubicalRebel View Post
You're the portrait master.
Thanks, man! Never thought in a million years I'd ever hear that, especially since my main subject matter in my photography is normally architecture and landscapes!

Aaron (Glowrock)
"The three most beautiful cities in the world are Paris, St. Petersburg & Pittsburgh. If Pittsburgh were situated somewhere in the heart of Europe tourists would eagerly journey hundreds of miles out of their way to visit it." The New Yorker Jan. 9, 1989

Old Posted May 19, 2013, 3:34 PM
Member of SSP since 1998

I can smell the patchouli from here!

Oh, just an fyi - it's the West *Side* Market

See the latest Cleveland developments here: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=97396

Last edited by MayDay; May 19, 2013 at 4:18 PM.

Old Posted May 19, 2013, 3:49 PM
Chillin in the Burgh

Great! People shots, especially faces are about the second most captivating photos after the architecture. At least in my priorities.

"Even Old New York was once New Amsterdam"

Old Posted May 19, 2013, 6:02 PM
RIP Dr. Spengler

There are the people!

Old Posted May 19, 2013, 6:14 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Great shots!

Old Posted May 19, 2013, 9:10 PM

portraits, city chicken and statue boobs? good thread!

Old Posted May 19, 2013, 9:18 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Hi.

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 2:01 AM
Couch-surfing provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
portraits, city chicken and statue boobs? good thread!
Gracias, senor... Yeah, I just had to get a nude shot in, even if it's an inanimate object! Hahahaha

BTW, a serious question for everyone. Which of those portrait shots do you think is the best? I'm kind of torn between the guitar-playing dude and the woman wearing the white hat. The brother-sister duo was great as well, but I'm just trying to get an idea of how to best take portraits. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 3:13 AM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Look at you go! These are really amazing! My favorite is the harmonica guy, seems like you caught him in a genuine moment. What lens / lenses did you use for the portraits?

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 3:40 AM
Ground Scraper

Nice job with these!

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 10:01 AM
Couch-surfing provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
Look at you go! These are really amazing! My favorite is the harmonica guy, seems like you caught him in a genuine moment. What lens / lenses did you use for the portraits?
My Nikkor 105mm f2.8 macro lens, RyanD. Only lens I shot with for these photos. Thanks to photoLith, I got a great deal on this beast of a lens!

And thanks for the kind words!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
Gracias, senor... Yeah, I just had to get a nude shot in, even if it's an inanimate object! Hahahaha

BTW, a serious question for everyone. Which of those portrait shots do you think is the best? I'm kind of torn between the guitar-playing dude and the woman wearing the white hat. The brother-sister duo was great as well, but I'm just trying to get an idea of how to best take portraits. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Aaron (Glowrock)
Nice work Glowrock. I think this one:

or this one are your best.

The top one captures the authentic emotion of the man. I think the framing is too tight, especially on the left side. A few steps back would give the photo a little more room to breath. You got a nice blur of the background which helps keep the focus on the subject but I think the background is too bright. You could easily darken it in post.

The second one is a nice candid shot. I think the framing is a little tight and a slightly different angle could have improved the composition. For instance, I'm not sure cropping the left side of his hat improves the photo while including a small portion of the harmonica player to the right is distracting. Like the first shot, the background is too bright. There is a lot of white taking the focus away from the subject. It will be harder to drop the brightness of the background in this shot since there is so much white. I think the exposure would have had to have been less in camera and then you could have brightened the guitar player in post.

Portraits are not easy, there is a lot to get right. Generally I think it is important to pay attention to the background and the light.

Anyway, maybe that is more details than you wanted. It's always great to see the people of a city. Nice work.

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 9:00 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Good Stuff Aaron. I like the first guy, though he did remind me a bit of "The Iceman" (a hitman for the Mafia).

And what the heck was Mike doing in Cleveland?

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 1:13 AM

geez i really could not say. i like'm all. i just like real life scene portraits like these.

hmm, ok. i'll say the woman above the cannoli sign shot, because its tight, head-on and bright. then the two girls -- nice to mix in a tight shot of two people. also, the kid with the plaid shirt and coke. just because its also nice to mix in a 3/4 shot like that with a sharp background contrast.

i guess im just saying i like a mix because really all of these are pretty much equally good stuff here.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 10:03 AM
Couch-surfing provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okayyou View Post
Nice work Glowrock. I think this one:

or this one are your best.

The top one captures the authentic emotion of the man. I think the framing is too tight, especially on the left side. A few steps back would give the photo a little more room to breath. You got a nice blur of the background which helps keep the focus on the subject but I think the background is too bright. You could easily darken it in post.

The second one is a nice candid shot. I think the framing is a little tight and a slightly different angle could have improved the composition. For instance, I'm not sure cropping the left side of his hat improves the photo while including a small portion of the harmonica player to the right is distracting. Like the first shot, the background is too bright. There is a lot of white taking the focus away from the subject. It will be harder to drop the brightness of the background in this shot since there is so much white. I think the exposure would have had to have been less in camera and then you could have brightened the guitar player in post.

Portraits are not easy, there is a lot to get right. Generally I think it is important to pay attention to the background and the light.

Anyway, maybe that is more details than you wanted. It's always great to see the people of a city. Nice work.
Okayyou, thanks for your thoughts, opinions and suggestions. It's very much appreciated!

I definitely agree with many of your suggestions. To be honest, it turns out I had forgotten to check the ISO I had set the other evening before starting to shoot, and as a result, it was set entirely too high for these shots in general. As we all know here, that leads to an f-stop in the 5-8 range and not closer to 2.8, so of course I wasn't getting the nice relatively shallow depth of field and thus the nicer bokeh I would have gotten if I wouldn't have been a complete idiot and fixed the setting in my camera before shooting those photos!

Ah well, life goes on. As for the framing of a few of those shots, I actually did a little cropping of some of those images. I think a few of the ones you specifically mentioned were somewhat cropped, but I have to go back and check them. Perhaps I can make some adjustments.

Thanks again!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 10:03 AM
Couch-surfing provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan View Post
Good Stuff Aaron. I like the first guy, though he did remind me a bit of "The Iceman" (a hitman for the Mafia).

And what the heck was Mike doing in Cleveland?
Mike works and lives in Cleveland now!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 4:30 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
Mike works and lives in Cleveland now!

Aaron (Glowrock)
Yes... he needs to change his name to MikeCleveland.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 9:16 PM
Couch-surfing provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Yes... he needs to change his name to MikeCleveland.
I've told him this a number of times already. He doesn't seem too fond of the suggestion!

Aaron (Glowrock)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos