HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Highrise & Supertall Proposals

Texaco Building Redevelopment in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Houston Skyscraper Diagram
Houston Projects & Construction Forum

View Full Map

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 9:54 PM

Lightbulb HOUSTON | Texaco Building Redevelopment | FT | 38 FLOORS

Description: Provident Realty Advisors plans to redevelop the old Texaco HQ into luxury apartments, pre-development work is currently in progress. In addition to that, they also plan to build a yet-to-be-officially-announced, 38-story apartment tower and parking garage behind the building. Retail and tunnel access will also be included. Hnedak Bobo Group is the architect. There have been many other proposals in the past for the Texaco Building and the vacant lot behind it, but they all fell through.

Last week, before the renderings were found, HAIF user brijonmang shared this information:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brijonmang
I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday who works for a company that does project management, financing, owner representation, etc. for many residential and hotel properties around the country. They said that they just signed contracts to assist with the SkyHouse as well as another 38 story residential building downtown.
More renderings:

The site, which was cleared in 2002 in anticipation of something going up that never materalized:

http://www.hbginc.com/news/projects/.../#.UaWX0NJ4ygK

http://swamplot.com/could-this-be-do...se/2013-05-29/

Last edited by Urbannizer; Sep 2, 2013 at 12:40 PM.

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 10:08 PM
Forum Administrator

It's funny how they used Atlanta's skyline in that last rendering. What gives? And that building on the left matches the one on the right.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 6:27 PM

Oh this is very nice. Congrats Houston. Nice design and preserving that old beautiful building next to it too. Great street frontage and historic preservation on this project. Is this a residential tower Downtown?!?! That will be much needed. Bring more residential towers to Downtown!

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 11:01 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Oh this is very nice. Congrats Houston. Nice design and preserving that old beautiful building next to it too. Great street frontage and historic preservation on this project. Is this a residential tower Downtown?!?! That will be much needed. Bring more residential towers to Downtown!
Yes. This proposal is for a residential tower. Retail will also be incorporated.

www.viridian.com/sbelectric
www.viridianpresentation.info

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 12:56 AM

BIG FAN of this one. There have been so many proposal for the old Texas Company complex. About a decade ago, it was going to become a Ritz Carlton. Nothing happened with that one. A few years later, a group stepped up to turn it into a Renaissance Hotel. Work actually started with demolition of the least historic 1960s addition and then the economy tanked. There haven been rumors for 2 years of potential residential conversion. I'd much rather it become apartments than hotel rooms. Keeping my fingers crossed.

If this thing gets going at the same time that Skyhouse (24 floors, 330 units) and Finger's Ballpark apartments (7 floors, 380+ units), then I'll shit my pants.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 8:31 PM
$$Money on my Mind$$

Really feeling this tower! Hope it sees the the light of day! Keeping fingers crossed.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 5:21 AM
robert die katze

Very nice. I hope this one sees the light of day.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
If this thing gets going at the same time that Skyhouse (24 floors, 330 units) and Finger's Ballpark apartments (7 floors, 380+ units), then I'll shit my pants.
It would be nice to have a thousand new residential units downtown. It might actually become an urban habitat.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2013, 4:18 AM

Phase One of this project, the renovation of 1111 Rusk and the addition of a parking garage will begin in a month, possibly sooner. By looking at the renderings of the parking garage you can see how it's set up for the second phase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Business Journal
Exclusive: Developer moves forward with CBD's next luxe high-rise

Dallas-based Provident Realty Advisors Inc. closed on the historic Texaco building Thursday with plans to redevelop it into downtown’s next luxury high-rise.

As soon as the developer can get the permit approved, initial construction will begin and will eventually add 34,000 to 41,000 square feet to the structure at 1111 Rusk. Estimated time to obtain the permit is about two to four weeks, the developer said.

The building will cost about $95 million to redevelop, said Kip Platt, developer and partner with Provident.

First units are expected within 13 to 14 months and completion is set for 20 to 24 months after construction.

The high-rise gained an incentive through the Downtown Living Initiative program and will be connected to the tunnel system. In addition, the building’s historic façade will be repaired using funds from the TIRZ No. 3.

The project's unit count is 309 with an average unit size of about 1,065 square feet. The plan also includes about 8,000 square feet of ground floor retail and a 550-car garage.

Full Article: http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/b...s-forward.html

Old Posted Aug 30, 2013, 4:23 AM
Forum Administrator

It's good to see them reusing the older building. And that tower is great. That's going to be an interesting development.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2013, 4:22 PM
Chairman

According to the posted article, the developer will add 34,000 to 41,000 sqft to the existing structure. The tower portion will have very small floor plates per floor. If one does the math, at 41,000 sqft, each floor will average just over 1,078 sqft per floor.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2013, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
According to the posted article, the developer will add 34,000 to 41,000 sqft to the existing structure. The tower portion will have very small floor plates per floor. If one does the math, at 41,000 sqft, each floor will average just over 1,078 sqft per floor.
I think that's Phase I. Phase II is still in design. Word is it will be 20 floors atop 9 levels of garage at a minimum.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2013, 4:54 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxteth o'grady View Post
I think that's Phase I. Phase II is still in design. Word is it will be 20 floors atop 9 levels of garage at a minimum.
That makes more sense. Thanks for the clarification. When I first read the article, there was not an "update" section towards the bottom.

...or it is time for me to get a pair of reading glasses.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2013, 12:38 PM

I have a feeling the article may have the total number of floors incorrect. I think it's suppose to say 29-floors on top of 9-floors of parking (a total of 38-floors.), not 20-floors on top of 9-floors of parking.

According to Brijonmang on HAIF, the project is still planned to be 38-floors..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brijonmang
I recently talked with my friend who was the person who first told me about this tower. They said the 38 story tower is still a go.
and a more detailed rendering:

Old Posted Sep 3, 2013, 5:27 AM

Cannot wait for this project. There have been so many failed attempts to resurrect the old Texas Company Bldgs, many of them hotel proposals.

However, I love the idea of apartments in the beautiful old buildings and love even more a tower on the now vacant parcel (that was torn down for one of the previous proposals).

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 3:00 PM

There can never be enough residences downtown.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 10:52 PM
Poppity Pop Pop Pop!

An account from HAIF-er 'rechlin about work that appears to be commencing, at least on the existing structures.

Quote:
Quite a lot more activity today. There are several guys on the roof by the southwest side of the taller building, where they have set up another structure, a ladder up to a third floor window by the south corner, a few more guys hanging out a fifth floor window that has been removed (hard to see in the photo but just above the ladder), and they've removed a bit of the façade between the third and fourth floors on the southwest side of the shorter building.
and a photo from the same thread.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 9:52 AM
Poppity Pop Pop Pop!

Work on the historic structures continues - 2/2 c/o 'downtonian' on HAIF.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 2:44 AM

Boy, does that parking lot want a building on it.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 10:33 AM
Poppity Pop Pop Pop!

3/1 - c/o 'triton' on HAIF

New MetroRail station across the street

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Highrise & Supertall Proposals