HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 4:56 PM

I don't understand why they don't put green or yellow paint on any of the curbs (these, Assiniboine, Pembina). Would make them stand out much more to everyone, especially snow clearing equipment haha. At the very least they should paint the larger concrete end caps. And put green poles in the holes.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Painting is done withing most of the Bannatyne/McD bike lanes now. Still nothing at intersections or signage. This is Bannatyne between King & Princess. It's a full vehicle lane, yet for some reason they've blocked off half of it (with paint), even though the bike lane is adjacent to the through lane, not parking. Seems odd.

When I first saw it, thought maybe it's so they could paint in a bike left turn lane at Princess, but this goes right to the intersection. Anyone know what the thinking is here?

Was also thinking – it's too bad east of Main the streets are narrower, as west of main the bike lanes are getting full-size vehicle lanes – more than enough room to have two-way bike traffic.
Passing lane??

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 9:18 PM

Maybe. It’d be smart if they mark it for turning at the end... unless they’re putting in a turning box?

Anyway they have artists painting all the lanes today! Looks great.

Last edited by buzzg; Jun 27, 2018 at 11:00 PM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 3:45 AM
Formerly rypinion

The point is to have a separated bike lane, right? Why not do what you can via paint to separate the vehicles and bikes as much as possible.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 4:13 AM
Rational urbanist

I just spoke with my friend who's indirectly involved in the project. He says the reason for the painted buffer zone is to prevent people from thinking that it's a two-way lane. By narrowing it down with paint to the point that it's clearly a single-width bike lane, it would hopefully prevent people from biking against the stream accidentally.

Also, he says that that block is the only one where the bike lane is that wide - further up and down the protected lane is only as wide as the non-painted part in the photo. So they painted it to maintain consistent width along the whole bike route as well.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 4:06 PM

Well looky looky. Some commons sense and reasoning! haha thanks for the info.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 5:22 PM

Le Artist

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 5:49 PM

hahaha awesome. I'm so used to construction where everybody is covered in PPE. When I see stuff like this, it's polar opposite. Wearing crocs with her book bag tied on the back.

Anyways, looks awesome and we need loads more of this.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 8:07 PM

Signage is going up... same as was on the test area. City needs to really start from scratch when it comes to cycling signage. No thought into it here.

Almost any other city with bike lanes has a reminder sign like below, uses green diamond land signage, etc. Hopefully they paint green across the intersections to remind drivers, and show cyclists where to go. Then, we need a route system, like bus routes.

One other thing that really bugs me, just construction related in general, is that crews either don't care or don't have the authority to fix similar things right nearby. There's a huge hole right in a bike's travel path in the Bannatyne bike lane right before Albert, that will be there on opening day. Much of the curbs along it were replaced, and a huge chunk of concrete was replaced about 5 feet from it. It's ridiculous with that much concrete work being done to build this bike lane (not to mention in the area in general), this wasn't fixed.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 10:02 PM

Anyone else go to the second pop-up Route 90 open house at the Outlet Collection mall today?
I was somewhat surprised that nobody there was from the City. It was entirely staffed by a PR firm that was hired to do the public consultations and file a report with the city. It was quite disappointing to try to explain very specific concerns to people who didn't seem to have much knowledge or interest in the project.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 2:45 PM

Does anyone know what is going on at the intersection of Main st and Chief Peguis? Is this the early prep work for the extension or just an upgrade to the paths?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastK View Post
Does anyone know what is going on at the intersection of Main st and Chief Peguis? Is this the early prep work for the extension or just an upgrade to the paths?
Good question. I’m never in that area so I’m not sure what the work looks like, but there’s a chance it could be related?

It looks like they’re still working on the design though, so it may not be. I’m not sure - unless this is related to the design

https://www.winnipeg.ca/PublicWorks/...peguiswest.stm

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 4:13 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastK View Post
Second turning lane on southbound Main. The work on the bridge is less obvious (haven't seen it in awhile) but it was looking like an enhanced cycling path.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 9:47 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^This, plus it's an upgrade for the extension of the Chief Pegus Greenway across Main terminating at Frog Plain Way.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 4:53 PM

Stretch of Winnipeg’s Graham Avenue closes until 2020

https://globalnews.ca/news/4333251/s...es-until-2020/

Quote:
A stretch of Graham Avenue will be closed to all motor vehicles other than Transit buses until July 2020 due to building construction.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 5:43 AM

I would really like to see the city put some more effort into traffic sign locations. Especially when in comes to no-right-on-red, or other signal-related signage.

I don't know if they're just lazy or trying to write extra tickets, but it seems like so many of them (especially downtown) are so tucked away or off to the side, they can be easily missed. I've seen a lot of people disobeying them lately, but at places where there's only one sign (they're supposed to be on both sides), and it's way far to the right.

No-right-on-red signs should be directly beside the actual signal, on the horizontal part of the poles. Why is it off on the side, not close to where the signal actually is.

It will be important for the city to start paying closer attention to these as we get more due to the new bike lanes. Do they apply to bikes too? IMO they shouldn't, as bikes wouldn't be blocking anyone. But then, if it's just for vehicles, it needs to other say that, or be located right next to the traffic signal, clearly not by the bike signal.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 9:30 PM

City tweeted today that the Main Street bridge "bike lane" would be closed during the day on July 19th.

1) Where is said bike lane? is this the the shoulder which is not a bike lane? Is it the hastily-marked shared sidewalk?
2) Anyone know what this construction is that could take only 1 afternoon?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 9:39 PM

There's separated bike lanes on the bridges over the Red. It's more like the sidewalk is separated into the two areas, as opposed to a bike lane on the road. The separation is only on the bridges.

Maybe they're getting fancy paint?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 9:46 PM

Sorry should have been more clear – the tweet said from "Mayfair to Main" which I gathered as the north bridge.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 3:27 AM

The new intersection design at Sterling Lyon & Waverley is unlike anything I've seen in the city before – which is bizarre as we're supposed to be moving toward design consistency for safety reasons.

It's designed like large intersections in Saskatchewan where the left turn lanes are separated from the through lanes by medians on both sides. Looks as if there's three road sections each way. This is the case on Sterling Lyon, both directions.

The only other place in the city I've seen something like this is WB Lindenwood Dr E at Kenaston (only the one direction). I've also seen so many near accidents and confusion there as it's so unlike anywhere else in the city people don't have a hot clue of what's going on. It's so bizarre to me that they'd use this design there, but the 7-lane EB Sterling Lyon @ Kenaston (with a 3-lane left turn) is completely open in all directions.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan