HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Ashland in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 3:13 AM

Smile NEW YORK | 590 Fulton Street (250 Ashland Place) | 568 FT | 51 FLOORS

Permits have been filed (HERE) for a 568 foot tower, 51 story at 590 Fulton Street in Brooklyn. According to the DOB filing, the tower will be designed by FXFowle. No renders yet.

This will be replacing what's currently a parking lot and will be located next to 29 Flatbush, creating a new mini cluster. Exciting stuff for the BK skyline!

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 3:19 AM
aka Studdedleather

Nice hopefully we'll hear more news about this one soon.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 3:37 AM
New Yorker for life

I haven't seen a rendering for this one, but all of these new towers in Brooklyn seem to be in the same height range. We need something to break the 700 ft mark to really stand out from the pack.

http://blog.buzzbuzzhome.com/2013/07...on-street.html

FXFOWLE-designed housing coming to 590 Fulton Street in Fort Greene

Quote:
An affordable housing complex is in the works at 590 Fulton Street in Fort Greene.

The 51-story, 585-unit development will be designed by FXFOWLE Architects, according to this plan exam application filed July 26th. The mixed-use building will have 24,292 square feet of commercial space and 496,955 square feet of residential. The project will include a first-floor restaurant, bicycle storage, gym, playroom, library and sky lounge, says this Schedule A filing.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 4:22 AM

That's on the same little block as the 95 Rockwell Place proposal..
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=204072

That area is filling in fast, eventually it will connect the One Hanson Place area in with the rest of the downtown skyline.

I think its good if it keeps getting these 500-600ft towers for now so that it can more easily absorb something in the 800ft range eventually. CityPoint phase 3 might get close to that.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 8:28 AM
BANNED

"Affordable Housing Complex"

Sounds like this will be a bigger Gotham West/Avalon look alike...

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 2:59 PM
aka Studdedleather

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I haven't seen a rendering for this one, but all of these new towers in Brooklyn seem to be in the same height range. We need something to break the 700 ft mark to really stand out from the pack.

http://blog.buzzbuzzhome.com/2013/07...on-street.html

FXFOWLE-designed housing coming to 590 Fulton Street in Fort Greene
I have a feeling it's coming within this decade. At the very least a few proposals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fardeb View Post
That's on the same little block as the 95 Rockwell Place proposal..
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=204072

That area is filling in fast, eventually it will connect the One Hanson Place area in with the rest of the downtown skyline.

I think its good if it keeps getting these 500-600ft towers for now so that it can more easily absorb something in the 800ft range eventually. CityPoint phase 3 might get close to that.
I agree! Remember when the Brooklyner was getting started people were crying and that wasn't even a decade ago. Look at us now! I believe City Point will definitely be in the 800 range and no shorter than that to be honest.

I can't wait!

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 5:49 PM

Brooklyn needs a supertall.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 4:13 PM
aka Studdedleather

Smile NEW YORK | 581 Fulton (BAM North Site 1) | FT | 52 FLOORS

City Plans 52-Story High Rise for BAM North Site I in BAM Cultural District in Fort Greene

http://www.brownstoner.com/blog/2013...n-fort-greene/

Quote:
The architects for BAM North Site 1 unveiled the plans for a city-sponsored 52-story tower last night in the BAM Cultural District at a Community Board 2 meeting. The high rise at 581 Fulton will have 586 apartments total: 281 “affordable” residences, including 117 inclusionary housing units, and 305 market rate units. The building will be made of three different-colored materials to make it blend in better with the neighborhood. It will also have a podium that extends out from the base tower (close up pictures after the jump). There will be 10,800 square feet of ground-floor retail on Fulton Street, and 8,000 square feet of cultural office space on the second floor.

Builder Gotham Organization is expected to break ground on the site by the end of this year or early next year, and construction will last three years. The builder wants the project to meet the criteria for Enterprise Green Communities, a green building program that’s somewhat similar to LEED.

FXFOWLE Architects designed the building, which will be located between Rockwell and Ashland Place, next to Theater for a New Audience. The developer is BAM Go Developers LLC, a subsidiary of Gotham. Jonathan Rose Companies, chosen yesterday to develop BAM North Site II, may also consult on the building process.

The city chose the income levels for the affordable units, which are 65 percent of Area Median Income, 135 percent AMI, and 165 percent AMI. They range from studios to three-bedrooms. Some community board members voice objections to the city’s definition of “affordable” and “middle income,” which ranged from a studio for someone making $30,000 (65 percent AMI) to a three- or four-bedroom for a family of six making $178,000 (165 percent AMI).

During construction, neighbors can report complaints through a hotline or an email address, and a website will have construction updates and notify residents if something unusual is planned. Gotham expects to close one lane of traffic on Fulton, Rockwell and Ashland Place and close the sidewalk on Rockwell during construction.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 12:41 AM
New Yorker for life

This should be another 500 footer for Brooklyn.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 1:30 AM

Is this the same tower?
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=206797

The address in the article is different, but it's the same designers and from the actual description of where it is supposed to be I think it might be the same lot. I dunno I could be wrong.

Last edited by Fardeb; Oct 11, 2013 at 1:43 AM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fardeb View Post
Is this the same tower?
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=206797

The address in the article is different, but it's the same developer and from the actual description of where it is supposed to be I think it might be the same lot. I dunno I could be wrong.
That other tower seems to be across the street.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 1:51 AM
New Yorker for life

You know what, it is the same tower. Too many towers are starting to drive us nuts....

I'll merge the threads.

http://www.tfana.org/new-home/commun...tural-district

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 12:04 PM
BANNED

^ Not a terrible problem to have

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 6:58 PM
New Yorker for life

A better look at the design...

http://www.brooklyneagle.com/article...3-10-11-133000

Residential skyscraper to share BAM-area block with new Shakespearean theater

October 11, 2013
By Lore Croghan

Quote:
Here's the gleaming tower that will keep the Bard company.

Shakespeare's new home in Downtown Brooklyn, the soon-to-open Theatre for a New Audience, will share its Ashland Place block with a 52-story skyscraper the Gotham Organization is constructing.

A first look at FXFOWLE Architects' design for the glamorous BAM Cultural District rental-apartment building shows a slim, soaring tower with a crown on top and a broad two-floor “podium” on the bottom filled with stores, and offices for cultural institutions.

The shops will liven up a public plaza that surrounds the Shakespeare-centric theater, where previews of “A Midsummer Night's Dream,” directed by “Lion King” visionary Julie Taymor, are scheduled to start Oct. 19.

The building facade will get a liberal dose of masonry whose colors are “brownstone,” a warm rosy-brown sandstone hue, and cool gray “limestone.” These are “the primary colors of the neighborhood,” FXFOWLE senior partner Daniel Kaplan explained, inspired by Fort Greene brownstones, the Barclays Center arena and the iconic Brooklyn Academy of Music. He and Gotham vice president of development Melissa Pianko revealed plans for the skyscraper, whose working address is 598 Fulton St., at a Community Board 2 general meeting Wednesday.

Last edited by NYguy; Oct 11, 2013 at 7:22 PM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2013, 2:49 PM

I used to live on St. Felix, just a few blocks from here. While no one wants to touch the beautiful brownstony parts of Fort Greene, this area is perfect for larger scale residential development too. So many great restaurants, a great park, and BAM. Not to mention probably the best transit options in the city.

I only wish the proposal wasn't so bland / ugly.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2013, 5:32 AM

That's not ugly.

The Brooklyner. Now, that's ugly.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2013, 6:51 AM

Not going to argue with that.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2013, 7:56 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Smile NEW YORK | 250 Ashland Place | 568 FT | 51 FLOORS

Updates... including an official address!

Curbed NY:

BAM Cultural District Tower Gets Financing, New Address
Monday, December 30, 2013, by Jessica Dailey

Quote:
2013 has been very good to the BAM Cultural District. Two new theaters opened, Two Trees' building won city approval, a developer was chosen for the last undeveloped city-owned site, and designs were revealed for a 52-story tower by FXFOWLE. The latter is also a city-owned site, and today HPD announced that the building secured $278 million in financing, putting it on the path to an early 2014 groundbreaking (slightly delayed from previous reports that construction would start by the end of the year). The press release also clarified the building's formal address: 250 Ashland Place. The project is being developed under the New Housing Marketplace Plan, thus, 282 of the 586 units will be permanently affordable to low- and middle-income families.

As with all city projects, 250 Ashland is a joint venture, and the Gotham Organization and DT Salazar are developing it with the Department of Housing Preservation and Development and the NYC Housing Development Corporation. Units will range from one- to three-bedrooms, and since it's in the cultural district, it will have 8,000-square-feet of space for a yet-to-be-named arts group. There will also be more than 10,000-square-feet of ground floor retail.

[Rendering by FXFOWLE]

[Rendering by FXFOWLE]

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Last edited by Hypothalamus; Feb 15, 2014 at 7:48 PM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2013, 5:26 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
HPD announced that the building secured $278 million in financing, putting it on the path to an early 2014 groundbreaking

I am loving the Brooklyn boom. My only complaint is that everything is basically in the same height range. That could be laying the "groundwork" though for something that will eventually distinguish the BK skyline.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2013, 6:28 PM
BANNED

Can developers purchase additional air rights there?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive