HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 7:55 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
^ The name isn't usurped as it does look like what's commonly developed over here in our time. What they often call "infill" on this skyscraper fan forum. Except for 2 things.
I'm not sure I understand your point. If you're talking about using the name Parisian and the reasoning behind it, it wasn't inspired directly by the city of Paris.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 8:39 PM

^ Ah ouais...? lol I mean, really? Then you should easily admit it's pretty confusing.

Bah, get your mind to peace right away, if you didn't yet. It could be called the Berliner or whatever, I honestly basically don't mind, since we see much of the same thing everywhere nowadays. Like contemporary stuff in globalization, I guess... Partly for the better IMO, although local specialties are still very charming.

Oh, and obviously, calling it "Parisian" still seems quite nice to my worldwide admired and envied locals. Huh!? Parisians for the best and FTW, forever! Dude.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 8:44 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
^ Ah ouais...? lol I mean, really? Then you should easily admit it's pretty confusing.

Bah, get your mind to peace right away, if you didn't yet. It could be called the Berliner or whatever, I honestly basically don't mind, since we see much of the same thing everywhere nowadays. Like contemporary stuff in globalization, I guess... Partly for the better IMO, although local specialties are still very charming.

Oh, and obviously, calling it "Parisian" still seems quite nice to my worldwide admired and envied locals. Huh!? Parisians for the best and FTW, forever! Dude.

It's named after a department store (Parisian) that was based in Birmingham and had a location in the building being renovated. Of course it could easily confusing.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 3:48 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Pizitz will feature open market like Seattle's famed Pike Place (Video)

Bryan Davis
Birmingham Business Journal
April 15, 2014
LINK

Quote:
Bayer Properties is hoping that renovation of the Pizitz building will be a hot spot for food shoppers who enjoy local and fresh products.

Specifically, developers behind the long-awaited and much-discussed project say it will feature an open-style market like those often found in bigger cities.

David Silverstein, principal at Bayer Properties, unveiled a few more details about the planned retail section of the Pizitz building to the Birmingham CREW on Tuesday.

“We’re going to do a combination market/grocery,” Silverstein said.

Obviously, comparing this to Pike Place is a huge stretch, but I like that they're thinking big. That kind of atmosphere puts many more feet on the ground than just a grocery store.

Also, it's nice that we have two grocery store concepts in the works that are about a half mile apart. That's a nice distance that should help to spread out residential development in downtown.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 5:21 PM
Burming Hammer

some more info on the "Metropolitan" in Lakeview... should be a good neighbor for 29Seven.

First look: Proposed $40 million Metropolitan apartments in Birmingham's Lakeview District

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 7:45 PM
Burming Hammer

someone asked for this a few pages back... here's what I've calculated:

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 10:56 PM

Cityville has just been sold and the named changed to Station 121 according to an article on Al.com. They are trying to get more retail downstairs because of their location downtown between CBD and UAB as well as being near Rail Road Park and Regions Field.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 7:37 PM
Burming Hammer

and another one...

Bristol Development Group ready to join downtown Birmingham apartment development craze

no renderings yet, though.

from the article: "Another Southside Birmingham apartment project is in the works that the developer said would add up to 250 high-end apartments to the growing ranks of planned projects in and around downtown."

kinda wish we were seeing more condos instead of rentals, though...

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 4:32 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
and another one...

Bristol Development Group ready to join downtown Birmingham apartment development craze

no renderings yet, though.

from the article: "Another Southside Birmingham apartment project is in the works that the developer said would add up to 250 high-end apartments to the growing ranks of planned projects in and around downtown."

kinda wish we were seeing more condos instead of rentals, though...
They're just stacking up. I really hope that most of the condo/apartment plans are actually built.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 4:00 PM
Burming Hammer

yep, if/when officially proposed this would put the number of units coming online at 2,000. I wonder what the average number of inhabitants per unit is? we're talking several thousand new residents downtown/southside in the next couple of years.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 8:26 AM
Cat Enthusiast

I was in downtown Birmingham on May 5th, 2014, here are some snaps I took!

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 10:48 PM

Any news on the highland ave high rise condo? That condo is to the next level!

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 7:04 PM

According to an article in the Birmingham Business Journal today, the southside Homewood Suites Hotel could start construction this up coming July or August.
The developer has been going back and forth with the Design Review Committee over the design.

As far as the Highland Avenue condo project, I pass by there every weekend on my way to Western Supermarket and there still no physical movement of any kind on that site. But I am sure behind the scenes they are crossing T's and dotting i's.

Old Posted May 18, 2014, 1:41 PM
The Salty Ham

Publix is coming downtown. This issue can finally be laid to rest. The Firestone and old Adamson lot will be a good location I think.
http://www.al.com/business/index.ssf...cart_graystrip

Old Posted May 18, 2014, 8:36 PM
Burming Hammer

good news! and look, more than 6 stories! (7, lol...)

Old Posted May 21, 2014, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslaughter View Post
Any news on the highland ave high rise condo? That condo is to the next level!
In an article today in Birmingham Business Journal, it stated that construction on the Highland Avenue condo project is to start in the next 90 days and the cost has risen from $40 million to $53 million and will add retail to the ground floor, perhaps restaurants.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 12:34 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Here's a video I found via REV Birmingham, a great piece by the Wall Street Journal about people purchasing former industrial or heavy commercial structures and renovating them into residential or mixed-use spaces.

LINK

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 3:38 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Dome news is heating up again with Mayor Bell saying that a facility around 45,000 to 55,000 is best after conversation with ESPN.

I actually like this idea. That size could easily support the NCAA Men's BBall national championship. The city has the hotel rooms for it.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
Dome news is heating up again with Mayor Bell saying that a facility around 45,000 to 55,000 is best after conversation with ESPN.

I actually like this idea. That size could easily support the NCAA Men's BBall national championship. The city has the hotel rooms for it.

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...w-details.html

Uptown is pretty dull. If the dome is built and that's a BIG IF it would certainly put birmingham on the map. The only worry i have is that it will be a money pit.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 11:38 AM

If the Dome is built would that doom Legion Field? I sure hope not. It's a shame you can't put the GA Dome on wheels are bring it on down from Atlanta. What a waste in demolishing that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations