HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

115 Nassau Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 3:48 PM

Smile NEW YORK | 115 Nassau St. (5 Beekman) | 687 FT | 47 FLOORS

Bull Market for Buildings in the Financial District
BY KAYA LATERMAN
September 19, 2013,

Quote:
Many landlords of older office buildings, such as the landmark former AIG building at 70 Pine St., are simply reconfiguring space into new rental units and into extended-stay apartments with retail and restaurant space on the ground floor. That said, some developers are tearing down buildings to replace them with residential towers, as in the case of 112-120 Fulton St.

Meanwhile, a swath of new hotels is entering the area. The landmark Temple Court at 5 Beekman St. will turn into a 285-room boutique hotel that will also have 85 residences and incorporate a new 40-plus-story tower at 115 Nassau St. Construction has started on a new Aloft hotel at 49 Ann St., as well as on a Residence Inn by Marriott at 170 Broadway and a Four Points by Sheraton at 6 Platt St.
I wonder if they will go for a design that complements the fantastic 5 Beekman Street, but no matter what's chosen the site is shovel ready and has been for some time now.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 3:59 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

What a treasure. I looked up the site, for those who may not know what it looks like or not WSJ subscribers like me. Its a very detail oriented site. Will make a luxuries NYC hotel and residence.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...t_Building.jpg

Old Posted Sep 22, 2013, 3:16 AM

The place is amazing. I hope that the building constructed on this site is the same level. In this case not worry about height since it is a good design. And a tall building would block the view of the Woolworth Building.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2013, 12:04 PM

@WiredNY forums:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek2k3
Foundation well underway. Should be rising soon. The new residents and guests will bring some much needed life to this par of Nassau Street.
47 stories, 595 feet.

It's even closer to rising than I thought! I'm guessing that this tower will be wrapped up in no time. This needs to be moved to the construction section btw.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2013, 1:12 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Weird. All the permits for this site say it's just going to be a 1 floor building. Guess they're just place holders so the foundation can start.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2013, 4:08 AM

Two more treasures right up the block were demolished for an auto-ramp for the BK Bridge.

I bet they would have made great rentals/condos.

http://ephemeralnewyork.wordpress.com/

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 4:37 AM

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 5:56 AM
New Yorker for life

For what it's worth...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 6:45 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Posted January 19th, 2014...
Photo Credit: Derek2k3 @ WNY

©Derek2k3

©Derek2k3

©Derek2k3

More photos at WNY

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 7:11 PM

This will be a 600-foot hotel tower connected to the historic hotel building.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 7:28 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Smile NEW YORK | 115 Nassau St | 595 FT | 47 FLOORS

New York YIMBY:

Construction Update: 5 Beekman Street
BY: NIKOLAI FEDAK ON JANUARY 31ST 2014 AT 12:00 PM

Quote:
The conversion and expansion at 5 Beekman Street is making major headway; foundation work has begun, and cranes are present on-site. The new portion of the development will stand 47 floors and 595 feet, making it semi-prominent amongst the towers of Lower Manhattan; GFI Development is building the project, while Gerner Kronick + Valcarcel is designing. The elevated shots were taken from the rooftop of The Lara.

5 Beekman Street was a hive of activity this week, and it seems the tower portion is almost ready to rise above ground. Permits for the addition were denied late last year — and the site has a limited stop-work order issued January 23rd – but besides administrative formalities, everything is lined up for imminent verticality. Whether the stop-work order still holds is also mysterious, and as of yesterday, workers were clearly buzzing about the site. A ‘Bay Crane’ was even hovering several inches above the street.

A new Schedule A indicates the hotel (to be managed by Thompson) will have 288 rooms, including two duplex suites that will span the top two floors. Residences will begin on the thirteenth floor, and there will be 69 in total — upper levels will be single units, so it seems that 5 Beekman will be targeting the super-luxury market. There will be six penthouses in total.

No renderings have been released, but given the tower’s footprint, the final product will be very thin. Completion is likely in late 2015 or early 2016.

5 Beekman Street -- view from The Lara

5 Beekman Street, with the foundations for the tower visible — view from The Lara

Last edited by Hypothalamus; Jan 31, 2014 at 8:00 PM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 4:31 AM

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 6:08 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/gfi...k=MW_news_stmp

GFI Development Company Adopts Submittal Exchange on Iconic Five Beekman Street Project
Design and Construction Streamlined on Historic Landmark Hotel in NYC.

March 17, 2014

Quote:
.....GFI Development Company is using both of Textura's Submittal Exchange web-based collaboration solutions on the Five Beekman Street project. Submittal Exchange for Design improves efficiency and communication during the design phase of a project. Submittal Exchange for Construction allows project teams to electronically exchange, review and archive construction submittals, RFI's and other communications on the construction phases of a project. With these solutions GFI Development Company is able to streamline the management of documents and communications to eliminate frustrations, delays and unexpected costs.

GFI Development Company and GB Lodging, LLC are converting the notable Five Beekman Street building into a luxury hotel consisting of approximately 287 guest rooms and over 68 residential units that will be operated by Commune Hotels. The historic structure together with an adjacent site on Nassau Street will total approximately 340,000 square feet, including a 46-story tower.

"We are very pleased that GFI Development Company has selected Submittal Exchange for their impressive renovation project," said Patrick Allin, Chairman and Chief Executive Office, Textura Corporation. "Using Submittal Exchange will help the project move seamlessly through design and successful construction to produce a stunning historic renovation the city will treasure."

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 10:36 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

This should be the official information-- they are just filing it under 5 Beekman...

PERMIT ISSUED - ENTIRE JOB/WORK 03/07/2014 (R)
Quote:
Occupancy Classification: R-2 - RESIDENTIAL: APARTMENT HOUSES
Building Height (ft.): 595
Building Stories: 47

Dwelling Units: 348

NEW YORK | 115 Nassau St | 595 FT | 47 FLOORS

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 7:25 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

An Early Skyscraper Becomes a Hotel With a View

APRIL 29, 2014
By C. J. HUGHES

A skylight-topped atrium distinguishes the 19th-century building at 5 Beekman Street. | Credit Marilynn K. Yee/The New York Times

Quote:
For years, development plans came and went at 5 Beekman Street like City Hall workers filing in and out of their nearby offices in Lower Manhattan.

Expectations for the property were high. The nine-story brick-and-terra-cotta building at Nassau Street was one of New York’s first skyscrapers when completed in the late 1800s, even if others quickly eclipsed it.

For fans of antique architecture, 5 Beekman has also been a source of fascination because few have seen its distinctive interior feature — a tall atrium topped by a large pyramid-shaped skylight that was sealed up for much of the 20th century.

Soon, though, admirers may be able to share the view. A developer is converting the office building to a 287-room hotel with restaurants and bars, and adding a condo tower next door.

The timing for this $350 million project seems apt, after all these decades. The financial district is undergoing a spurt of hotel construction along with surging tourism.

“Not only is there a market down here for this, there’s not a person who hasn’t walked into this building without their tongues hanging out,” said Allen Gross, the president of GFI Capital Resources Group, a real estate company in New York whose development arm is undertaking the project. GFI Capital previously developed the trendy Ace and NoMad hotels.

The Beekman Hotel, as it will be called, will mostly be contained in the existing brick building, which is actually two joined structures: one, with nine stories, from 1883, and an annex with 10 stories from 1890. In recent years, it served as an office building but essentially has been empty for more than a decade.

[...]

Entered through arched doorways, many of those law offices were clustered around the atrium, under the skylight, which is also where hotel rooms will be tucked. Two duplex rooms will be in two cupolas whose pointed slate roofs were recently refurbished.

An additional 75 rooms will be in the lower floors of that condo tower next door, a 600-foot building at 115 Nassau Street. The tower will also contain 68 condo units on its upper floors, which will be called the Beekman Residences, as well as amenity spaces for residents.

When sales start this summer, prices at the units, with 16-foot ceilings, are expected to be more than $2,000 a square foot, though the sales plan has not been approved.

Since the hotel has been declared a landmark and few alterations could be made to the older structure, adding a wing with hotel rooms was one of the few ways to make the project economically sound, Mr. Gross said.

[...]

Scheduled to open in summer 2015, the hotel will be operated by Thompson Hotels, a brand under the umbrella of Commune Hotels & Resorts, whose New York properties include a pair nearby: Gild Hall, on Gold Street, and Smyth TriBeCa, on West Broadway. The condo will open a few months later.

[...]

The building is now part of a hotel-condo project. | Credit Marilynn K. Yee/The New York Times

Last edited by Hypothalamus; May 2, 2014 at 10:39 PM.

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 10:40 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Curbed NY:

5 Beekman Ditches Netting
Friday, May 9, 2014, by Zoe Rosenberg

[The newly unveiled, renovated 5 Beekman, via a tipster.]

Quote:
FiDi—A tipster alerted us that the construction netting and scaffolding surrounding 5 Beekman was removed earlier today. The move must mean that the coming hotel and residences that has seen the restoration of the long-neglected Victorian atrium is moving along on-schedule for its 2015 debut.
Teaser Site: http://www.thebeekman.com/

Old Posted May 31, 2014, 3:14 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

NEW YORK | 115 Nassau St | 621 FT | 47 FLOORS

New York YIMBY:

Construction Update: 5 Beekman
BY: NIKOLAI FEDAK ON MAY 28TH 2014 AT 6:00 AM

5 Beekman Street

Quote:
Construction is making rapid headway at 5 Beekman, and the project’s residential component is now rising above Nassau Street. The site’s developer is GFI, and the architect of record is Gerner, Kronick + Valcarcel.

Shrouding along much of the Temple Court Building has been removed, revealing an exterior in the midst of refurbishment; the hotel will have 287 rooms, while the new residential tower will total 68 units, spanning 47 floors.

Despite construction’s progression above street level, on-site renderings are nowhere to be found, though zoning diagrams filed with the DOB give inklings regarding the tower’s form. The slender, 621′ skyscraper will apparently have rooftop ornamentation, complementing its historic counterpart, which was completed in 1883. Parapets could push 5 Beekman’s pinnacle to the 700′ mark, and the structure will leave a definite mark on the local skyline, though the 870-foot 8 Spruce Street will continue to dominate the vicinity.

[...]

Completion is likely by 2016, with the hotel component set for a 2015 opening date.

5 Beekman Street, shrouding has been removed from part of the old Temple Court Building

5 Beekman’s residential expansion

5 Beekman, The Lara at left

Old Posted May 31, 2014, 8:11 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

That's sick. In a good way.

I just hope the towers don't end up looking too cheesy compared to the old ones.

Last edited by scalziand; May 31, 2014 at 8:35 PM.

Old Posted May 31, 2014, 9:51 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
That's sick. In a good way.

I just hope the towers don't end up looking too cheesy compared to the old ones.
I hope I'm wrong but this could end up being some real barf. If they mimic Temple Court with inferior materials and value engineered details this could be a train wreck. 9 times out of 10 id prefer something modern and glassy that complemented a historic building like this and not attempting a mimicking design without a large enough budget to execute it faithfully.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 31, 2014, 11:37 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Thread title should be changed: NEW YORK | 115 Nassau St | 621 FT | 47 FLOORS

(See post #17)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive