HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 5:54 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Smile NEW YORK | 153 Remsen Street | 185 FT | 19 FLOORS

Is New Construction Next For This Brooklyn Heights Eyesore?
Tuesday, January 21, 2014, by Jessica Dailey

[153 Remsen Street at left, 155 and 157 Remsen at right. Photos via PropertyShark]

Quote:
Changes are afoot at three prime Brooklyn Heights properties. The Brooklyn Eagle spotted Department of Buildings permits for a sidewalk shed at 153 Remsen Street, which means that demolition will likely come next. No demolition permits have been filed, but knowledge of the city's sidewalk shed laws lead the Eagle to believe that the derelict property will be torn down by owner Quinlan Development Group: "The city requires the installation of sidewalk sheds when a building more than 25 feet high is demolished or a building more than 40 feet high is constructed," writes the Eagle. "Two-story 153 Remsen is 29 feet tall." Quinlan also owns 155 and 157 Remsen Street, both of which will also be getting sidewalk sheds. Quinlan was mum on its plans, but tenants at 155 and 157 recently vacated their properties, leaving the sites ready for redevelopment. Currently, Quinlan is currently constructing a rental building at 267 Pacific Street, and they launched a new Soho condo project last fall, so we're betting Remsen Street will see new residential development, too.

The site is blocks away from the water-- the views would be awesome.

More info:

Brooklyn Eagle
By Lore Croghan

Quote:
It's part of a three-building site with a combined 73,600 square feet of developable space, as the Brooklyn Eagle previously reported.

Neighborhood residents have been waiting to see what happens next at the sad-sack commercial property – which along with the other two buildings in the development site has unused air rights and is outside the neighborhood's two landmark districts.

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Last edited by Hypothalamus; Jan 22, 2014 at 9:33 PM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 8:16 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Smile NEW YORK | 155 Remsen St | 185 FT | 18 FLOORS

Brooklyn Daily Eagle:

Apartment tower headed to site of eyesore 153 Remsen St.
By Lore Croghan March 5, 2014 - 1:30pm

Bye bye buildings! This trio of Remsen Street properties is slated for demolition. Photo by Lore Croghan

Quote:
Brooklyn Heights' next new apartment tower will be 185 feet tall – the equivalent of 18 stories.

That's Quinlan Development Group's current thinking for what will replace derelict 153 Remsen St. and two neighboring buildings it bought last year, Eye on Real Estate has heard.

The Upper West Side-based developer can build a tower this tall as of right on the site, which is outside the Heights' landmark district.

Say So Long to sad-sack 153 Remsen – empty for eons, with smashed-up windows, graffiti tags and a torn-up awning, an anomaly in upscale Brooklyn Heights – and perfectly nice properties 155 and 157 Remsen St. The city Buildings Department recently approved demolition plans for all three.

As a prelude to the tear-down, rat traps were recently placed outside 153 and 155 Remsen and a sign was posted on a window warning “Poison – Keep Out.”

Awnings from departed tenants Saigon Garden and Wi-Pie were removed from the buildings. On Monday, National Grid workers dug up the street – to turn off the gas lines, which is also a prelude to demolition, one of them explained.

These Remsen Street buildings are a half-block from Brooklyn's Borough Hall. Photo by Lore Croghan

Men at work on March 3, turning off the gas line outside 153 Remsen St. Photo by Lore Croghan

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 12:59 AM
dazzle me

jeez, i'd hardly describe those buildings as 'eye sore'-level bad.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 6:50 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Smile NEW YORK | 155 Remsen St | 185 FT | 19 FLOORS

New York YIMBY:

Permits Filed: 153 Remsen Street
BY: NIKOLAI FEDAK ON MAY 6TH 2014 AT 6:00 AM

153 Remsen Street — image via Google Maps

Quote:
The first DOB filings are up for a new mixed-use building at 153 Remsen Street, in Brooklyn Heights; The Brooklyn Eagle reported on the site’s potential in March, when the building’s height was announced. Quinlan Development Group is behind the project, and Perkins Eastman is the architect of record.

Permits indicate that 153 Remsen Street will measure 79,700 square feet in total, and the building will be primarily residential; 75,124 square feet will be divided between 60 units, while the remaining 4,576 square feet will become ground-floor retail.

153 Remsen Street will stand 19 stories and 185 feet to its pinnacle, indicating ceiling heights will be on the low end for typical new construction; Brooklyn Heights and its surrounds would typically merit condominium developments, but given the information in the DOB filings, rentals would seem more likely. While floor-plans may be flexible, ceilings heights are another story.

[...]

No completion date has been announced, but demolition permits for the site’s existing two-story building were filed in February, and construction of the new tower is likely imminent.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 6:29 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Title update: NEW YORK | 153 Remsen Street | 185 FT | 19 FLOORS

Construction Kicks off at Apartment Tower on Remsen Street in Brooklyn Heights

07/02/15 9:00am

Quote:
The site at 153-157 Remsen Street is finally seeing some action, with construction workers buzzing all around the lot where three decrepit buildings were demolished this past year. A rendering for the 19-story residential “Remsen Apartments,” designed by Perkins Eastman affiliate S9 Architecture, was posted nearby along with a projected completion date of December 2016.

Last edited by Hypothalamus; Jul 25, 2015 at 10:54 PM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2015, 10:26 PM

any renderings?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2015, 10:50 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbo View Post
any renderings?
http://www.brownstoner.com/blog/2015...remsen-street/

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 1:49 AM

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 3:47 PM

Doppelganger:

269 West 87th Street by FxFowle Architects

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 3:40 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Complete

This is from back in August 2017.

Credit: FC

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive