HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 9:40 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Smile NEW YORK | 215 Chrystie St | 332 FT | 28 FLOORS

Looks like this one is moving forward with plans despite NIMBY opposition!

Schrager’s First New York “Public Hotel” Coming to 215 Chrystie St.
By Ed Litvak in Real Estate on January 24, 2014 3:15 pm

215 Chrystie Street

Quote:
An item in Page Six has refocused our attention on this development parcel at 215 Chrystie St., across the street from Sara D. Roosevelt Park. According to the Post, Ian Schrager confirms that his Public Hotels brand is coming to the Lower East Side site. The first Public opened in Chicago in 2011. From Schrager’s web site:

Quote:
PUBLIC is a new class of hotel. Its fundamental attributes are innovative, sophisticated, authentic style; spot-on, personalized empathetic service; lasting comfort with complete functionality, all at a tremendous value. For the first time, this type of hotel experience will be available for everyone and anyone who wants it. What is unusual is that it is inclusive, rather than exclusive. Ian Schrager has taken the best from the luxury set, the best from the boutique/lifestyle set and the best from select service and created a new breed of hotel where everything has been rethought and every original idea updated. This brand will be defined by the unique experience it creates rather than by a business classification or price point.
Schrager purchased the parcel from developer Ruby Schron in 2012 for $50 million. One of Schrager’s partners, HFZ Capital Group, boasts on its web site that the “approximately 380 room” Public Chrystie House will be a “social destination with approximately 50,000 square feet of restaurant and bar area.”

The construction plans have yet to be approved by the Department of Buildings. The proposal from architect Beyer Blinder Belle calls for a 28-story tower. The hotel is going to be on the lower floors with luxury apartments (one or two to a floor) beginning on the 19th floor. In 2012, Community Board 3 voted to support the hotel project after Schron agreed to extend an affordable housing contract for 10 Stanton, the residential project adjacent to 215 Chrystie. A gallery, Sperone Westwater, unsuccessfully sued to stop the hotel/condo development from going forward.
Latest Permits

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Last edited by Hypothalamus; Jan 27, 2014 at 11:52 PM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 8:16 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

NEW YORK | 215 Chrystie St | 314 FT | 28 FLOORS

An Early Peek at Ian Schrager's Chrystie Street Condo-Hotel
Friday, April 18, 2014, by Hana R. Alberts

[Newly filed zoning diagrams for 215 Chrystie.]

Quote:
The long-stalled lot at 215 Chrystie Street is going to be a condo-hotel tower, courtesy of hotelier/developer Ian Schrager and Steven Witkoff. Zoning documents scanned on April 15 give a first look at the massing of the building, which, even its earlier iterations, has oft ignited neighbors' fears about height and scale and even spurred an art gallery to try and block it. The 28-story building, which features setbacks on several sides and what looks like ovular mechanicals on top, will house 367 hotel rooms on the bottom 17 floors and 11 residences from levels 19 through 26. It'll be New York's first Public hotel.

Filings call for 23 parking spaces, as well as bicycle storage for the hotel and residents, a nightclub, a gym, an "eating and drinking establishment, a sky lobby, a library bar, a retail shop, meeting rooms, multiple terraces, and another bar and lounge. Beyer Blinder Belle is the architect.

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 7:11 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Bowery Boogie:

Here is Your First Look at Ian Schrager’s Sun-Eclipsing ‘Public’ Hotel on Chrystie Street
Posted on: May 20th, 2014 at 5:15 am | by Elie

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 6:50 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Jun 21, 2014, 3:13 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Jul 12, 2014, 1:43 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Schrager’s Chrystie Street Hotel Designed By Herzog & de Meuron

Quote:
He’s also hired high profile architectural firm Herzog & de Meuron. They’re known for designing some of lower Manhattan’s most talked about condo projects, including 40 Bond St. in the Village. They’re also behind the Olympic Bird’s Nest Stadium in Beijing and the Parrish Art Museum in Water Mill. There will be 370 hotel rooms as well as 11 full-floor and half-floor condo units, with interior design by John Pawson. Page 6 says Schrager has “personally hand-picked an exclusive list of people invited to see the apartments.”

Beyer Blinder Belle, another architectural concern, had submitted initial Buildings Department applications as the firm of record. Those plans called for 28 floors with apartments beginning on the 19th floor. Schrager and his partners purchased the site for $50 million. The building is going up in a lot adjacent to 10 Stanton St., an affordable housing complex. Construction workers recently chopped down a number of trees on the site, formerly a garden area used by 10 Stanton residents.
======================================
By Ed Litvak
http://www.thelodownny.com/leslog/20...de-meuron.html

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 2:40 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

New Renderings:

Credit: Herzog & de Meuron/Beyer Blinder Belle

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 4:02 AM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
New Renderings:

Credit: Herzog & de Meuron/Beyer Blinder Belle
Palm trees??

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 11:38 AM
Show me the blueprints

Life After People?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 8:34 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Herzog & de Meuron's Hotel/Condo Gets Stop-Work Order

Quote:
At long last, excavation and foundation work has taken off at 215 Chrystie Street, the site of hotelier Ian Schrager's first Public brand addition to the city. And just as soon, the hotel and condo development has been slapped with a stop-work order, says Bowery Boogie, for practicing unsafe excavation work. Looks like things are not full steam ahead on the 28-story Herzog & de Meuron-designed tower. When complete, the building will have a 370-room hotel, and 11 apartments spread over the its top ten floors. The apartments, three of which will be full-floor, will reportedly command about $8 million to $25 million, or $4,000-per-square-foot; a relatively insane ask for its Lower East Side surrounds, but more or less in line with Herzog & de Meuron's other downtown tower, which has pretty much gone buck wild in the sales department.
==============================
http://ny.curbed.com/places/215-chrystie-street

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 2:45 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Own a Public Hotel Penthouse on Chrystie Street for $18.75M

Quote:
While earth is moved and ground excavated for foundation work at 215 Chrystie Street, Ian Schrager is employing the hard sell with his first NYC location of Ian Schrager’s Public Hotel. As previously reported, there is both a hotel and condo component to this sun-eclipsing development. The 28-story tower includes eleven ultra-pricey condos atop the 370-room hotel.

We read last week that leading fashion photographer Mario Testino reportedly purchased a 3-bedroom apartment inside the Public Hotel for an undisclosed amount. Good to know. Now the remaining batch of inventory is on the block, having gone live earlier this week.

According to the Elliman website, there are four homes left to burn a hole in your proverbial wallet. $7.6 million on the low end for a 2-bedroom, and $18.75 million for the 4,236 square-foot penthouse.
================================
October 2nd, 2014
http://www.boweryboogie.com/2014/10/...street-18-75m/

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 10:23 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Ian Schrager’s Public Hotel at 215 Chrystie Street Rises Above the Threshold

Quote:
The new Ian Schrager condo-hotel development at 215 Chrystie Street makes good on the nascent teaser signage and is now peeking above its plywood threshold for the first time. Many months of earth moving and foundation pouring are now a thing of the past. Last month, the onsite prototype was dismantled to make way for the base of the superstructure, slated to rise a whopping twenty-eight stories. It currently sits at two stories.
==================================
http://www.boweryboogie.com/2015/06/...the-threshold/

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 11:06 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Sample Apartment:

215 Chrystie

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 12:57 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: FC

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 11:17 AM

Place and views are stunning. And I think we'll see huge changes to this neighborhood over the next 5-7 years.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 3:30 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

I really don't like how the building is placed at the very back of the zoning lot -- it's so un-New York. The height is welcomed, though.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 9:11 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: Tectonic

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 2:06 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 12:28 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This is moving pretty slowly.
==================

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 5:09 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Seems to be set back pretty far from the street. Does it front another street?
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive