HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

1 Journal Square South Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Jersey City (New York City) Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 12:46 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

JERSEY CITY | One Journal Square | 710 FT×2 | 64 + 64 FLOORS (1,723 Units)

This site has been stalled out for years, and I couldn't find the old thread for it. Also, not to be confused with Journal Squared (another close-by 3 tower development).

New York YIMBY:

Revealed: City Center Towers
BY: NIKOLAI FEDAK ON MARCH 13TH 2014 AT 8:00 AM

City Center Towers -- image from Humphreys & Partners

Quote:
While the recent focus on Jersey City’s Journal Square neighborhood has centered on KRE’s ‘Journal Squared‘ project, new renderings are up for the long-stalled City Center Towers site, which promises additional changes for the long-neglected area. The images were posted on the website of architectural firm Humphreys & Partners, and the site’s developer is Multi-Employer Property Trust.

Luckily, the surge in new development will relegate the Transportation Center to visual irrelevance, as newer urban-friendly projects begin to sprout nearby. City Center — also known as One Journal Square — was initially conceived prior to the recession, but the site has since changed hands; earlier renderings were fuzzy, depicting two high-rises that totaled 1,500 units.

Humphreys & Partners’ latest images of the site depict two possibilities for the design, which may or may not include a sky-bridge that would link the 60-story buildings. City Center Towers will be nearly as prominent as the nearby Journal Squared project; beyond the 1,500 residential units, the development will feature 150,000 square feet of retail at its base, which will help revitalize the street-scape.

The scope of City Center Towers appears slightly larger than the initial plans, and the new renderings paint a much clearer picture for the project’s eventual design — assuming they actually come to fruition. The site has been fraught with controversy, after initial deadlines for ground-breaking were ignored; the recession was chiefly to blame, as most development came to a halt across the Hudson River.

No completion date has been announced, but with demolition of the site’s former buildings now complete — and pressure from local officials to proceed continuing to mount — activity is likely imminent.
.GIF loop of the latest designs:

City Center Towers -- image from Humphreys & Partners

The site back in March 2012:

Future site of the Journal Square City Center Towers at One Journal Square in
Jersey City, Wednesday, March 7, 2012. Reena Rose Sibayan/The Jersey Journal

Old 2009 design:

Journal Square City Center Towers

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Last edited by Hypothalamus; Mar 14, 2014 at 4:49 PM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 2:19 PM

This updated design is for twin 60-floor towers, according to the Jersey Journal.

So there will be five new 60+ floor towers in Journal Square.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 3:16 PM

There is ANOTHER project up today.

The Journal Square skyline is going to be extremely impressive in about five years; the transition from nothing to the future vision is going to be insane!

Incredibly enough, it will likely have more buildings of significant height than Long Island City or Downtown Brooklyn; it looks like Journal Square will have at least four towers of 60 stories (i.e. 600') or more, and that could even surpass the downtown JC skyline. Crazy times, but great to see.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 12:11 AM

Minor changes:

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 12:24 AM
Show me the blueprints

Better. The previous, while nice was a bit Vegas-y.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 10:30 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Jared Kushner pays $27M for Jersey City site

Quote:
Jared Kushner’s Kushner Companies, in partnership with the KABR Group, paid $27 million for a vacant Jersey City site just across the street from the firm’s planned 40-story residential tower.

The two-acre site at One Journal Square was at the center of a long-delayed plan to construct two 60-story towers holding 1,500 rental units and 150,000 square feet of retail space. Kushner said in a statement that he will soon unveil plans for the site that “will help drive the city’s continued renaissance.”

Multi-Employer Property Trust and Washington, D.C.-based real estate firm Landon Butler were developing the One Journal Square buildings, once expected to be called the City Centre Towers. Plans were repeatedly delayed after the Hotel on the Square was demolished in 2009.

Kushner and KABR are also jointly developing the tower at 30 Journal Square, the former home of the Jersey Journal, and a 50-story residential tower at 65 Bay Street in downtown Jersey City.
=============================
January 05, 2015
http://therealdeal.com/blog/2015/01/....fPA4vUKf.dpuf

Old Posted Jan 6, 2015, 1:08 PM
New Yorker for life

Hopefully this gets undeway this time. Journal Square has excellent transportation, and can support the density.

http://nypost.com/2015/01/06/develop...n-jersey-city/

Developer Jared Kushner puts stake in Jersey City

Developer Jared Kushner and wife Ivanka Trump.

By Jennifer Gould Keil
January 6, 2015

Quote:
Jersey City is getting Kushner-fied.

Developer Jared Kushner has bought One Journal Square in the New Jersey city across the river from Manhattan with the expectation, a source close to Kushner said, that it will become a focus of Big Apple residents priced out of the five boroughs.

“We are very focused on Jersey City,” said a source close to the deal. “A big arts culture is growing in Jersey City.”

The Kushner Cos. will be applying for massive city and state subsidies to build its dream complex.

Kushner envisions two towers, with at least 1,500 to 1,700 new rental units and 150,000 square feet of cutting-edge retail space with “style and personality” that will include a supermarket, specialty coffee shops and restaurants.

Kushner partnered with KABR Group to buy the property for $27 million. They are also developing 30 Journal Square, a 40-story residential development across the street, and 65 Bay St. Downtown, a 50-story $194 million luxury residential building.

Meanwhile, Kushner’s first cousin, Jonathan Kushner, president of KRE Group, is building Journal Squared, a three-tower project in the neighborhood with 1,800 units and 36,000 square feet of retail space.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2015, 9:28 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Plan for One Journal Square, image from Humphreys & Partners; http://www.yimbyforums.com/t/jersey-...0-floors/291/3

Old Posted Jan 6, 2015, 10:17 PM
DENNAB

Nice! I like the bridge

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 4:26 AM

I count 68 floors, not tall enough. I want to see twin 100s for Journal Square.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 6:11 AM

good news. That's an older rendering I think.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 6:15 PM

So there is a lot of cement trucks and other construction vehicles on site today. No digging equipment yet but something is clearly happening

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 3:17 PM

This may or may not be the most recent rendering. I could 75 to 80 floors. It's tricky because some of the floors at the base appear double height. Site is approved for 1,500 so it will be substantial either way.

Image from kushnercompanies.com

Hey Kushner, go tall or go home.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 5:41 PM
Show me the blueprints

This is definitely the biggest design change we've seen so far. It looks like a complete reorientation of the towers' footprints. Go me though this project keeps getting less and less interesting...

old

><><

new

><><

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 5:55 PM

I live in the area, and I can't stress enough the importance of the Kushner developments. Journal Square, the heart of Jersey City, has been in decline for some time and is in desperate need revitalization. The site has literally just been dirt for years and is collecting garbage.

What's more important than the architecture of the building is the new residents, retail options, and jobs it will bring to the community. It will revitalize the heart of the city and animate the streets. It's a prime spot for a dense urban development as you can be at the World Trade Center in less than 15 minutes by using the 24-hour PATH subway train.

I know some folks are on this forum purely for the aesthetics of new buildings, but there are also a group of urbanists on here that care about the healthy growth and development of cities and their people. This building will contribute to those goals in a positive manner.

Personally, I think they look great aesthetically too.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 6:21 PM
Show me the blueprints

^I agree with all those things of course. I just think the design of this project is getting less interesting after every tweek.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 6:51 PM

I think it looks very good though the earlier designs were a little better but still a great improvement and step forward for Journal Square. Also compared to a lot of what was built earlier downtown, it is still a marked improvement aesthetically. I counted conservatively 65 stories each and gather they will be anywhere from 700-750 ft each. From the Square, which is one of the highest points in Jersey City, they will appear even more impressive.

Agree totally with CIA about what these Kushner developments bring to the area... they bring life to a place that is often desolate after the sun goes down and the weather isn't as warm. New jobs, places to go, a vitality that befits what's supposed to be the heart of this city.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 6:56 PM

Ok

It's a rendering we haven't seen before, but we don't know if it's the newest version. If so, it would appear they have dropped the sky bridge altogether.

One more interesting note, the guy behind Journal Squared (the KRE development) and this development (One Journal Square) are cousins. I hope there is a friendly competition between them on who can build the better building. The fear is they may co-ordinate and wait for the KRE buildings to be built and leased up before starting on this one.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 7:16 PM

The relationship between both sides of the family has been strained for awhile. They aren't about to collude and hold back.... they are developing separate projects and each side wants to be the bigger prestige maker for the area... so at the very least, there will be a rivalry. Jared Kushner is going to want very much to get a start on this as soon as possible. He has said that the project his firm has for a potential development which will encompass the Jersey Journal building across the street has been put on hold as he wants the focus first to be on this project.. I wasn't a fan of the design so a time out for his other one(and hopeful significant redesign) is a good thing in my opinion.

I hope we find out soon what is going to be developed there and hope groundbreaking can begin very soon as well. It will be amazing to see when both projects are making great progress rising in the skyline and the reality of a revived Journal Square will start to be seen.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 4:26 AM

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2...rsey_city.html

56-story tower planned for long-vacant Jersey City lot

The long-vacant Journal Square lot in Jersey City that may soon be home to two residential towers. Reena Rose Sibayan | The Jersey Journal (Jersey Journal file photo)
Print Email Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on August 18, 2015 at 3:18 PM, updated August 18, 2015 at 5:28 PM

It's only a black-and-white rendering, but The Jersey Journal has a first look at one of the highly anticipated residential towers slated for a long-vacant lot near the Journal Square PATH station.

Dubbed One Journal Square — not to be confused with One Journal Square Plaza, a few blocks away — the property was purchased earlier this year by developers Jared Kushner and KABR Group for $27 million.

Preliminary plans for the first tower, which will have 56 stories, indicate it will rise 666 feet into the air — making it one of the tallest buildings in New Jersey — and include 744 residential units, a mixture of studios and one-, two-, three- and four-bedrooms. There are no affordable units planned for the 1.1 million square-foot tower.

The tower's nine-story base would include about 120,000 square feet each of retail and office space and a 118,230-square-foot parking garage for 388 cars, with an entrance on Sip Avenue.

Plans for some of the office space is rumored to include shared and co-working offices. WeWork, the trendy, $5 billion shared office space provider, this year committed to taking 162,000 square feet of office space in a Kushner building in Brooklyn.

The One Journal Square plans, delivered in recent weeks to the city's planning office, have yet to go before the Planning Board for approval.

The One Journal Square project had previously been called City Centre Towers, located on a 1.5-acre site that was once home to the Hotel on the Square. The hotel and surrounding structures were demolished in 2009 to make way for the two towers but the City Centre project, under different owners, stalled and the property has been vacant for the last six years.

Kushner and KABR also own 30 Journal Square, the old offices of The Jersey Journal, and have tentative plans to build a 40-story residential tower on it. That property is located across the street from One Journal Square. Kushner has indicated plans for that building are on hold as he and KABR concentrate on One Journal Square.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction