HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 11:23 PM

I dont see how anyone can prefer the previous 22 Widmer design. The new design is a vast improvement. In fact, it could look a lot like Montreal's Rocabella condominiums provided they dont totally cheap out on the materials.

I also see zero architectural value in those townhomes.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 6:56 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomax View Post
Tower 1, the 40-storey tower, is sold out.

Tower 2, the 30-storey tower, is launching soon.
Looking good in the Hammer.
When does construction start ?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Looking good in the Hammer.
When does construction start ?
There's no set construction date yet, but the estimated completion date is 2022.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 4:46 PM

Plans for a new new Central Library District in Ottawa, between Downtown and LeBreton Flats. One problem though; they didn't take into consideration the road re-alignments planned by the City.

The re-alignment for reference.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 6:00 PM

New HQ renderings of Hamilton's 24-floor Platinum Condominiums...

source

source

source

source

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 7:17 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

^ Pretty nice... I like the podium. It has a real presence while softening the impact of the tower itself.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 8:31 PM

I actually really like this design! To me, it has the perfect mix of different colors and building materials. I also really like the podium, makes it look like a mix of individual stores lining up the street (which then gives the street a "main street vibe"). Wayyyyyy better than those 5-6 story block podiums making it look like a huge parkade.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 8:49 PM
I am the law!

Yeah, I appreciate what they are doing with the podium but, I'm so so on the appearance and finishes. The tower could use use further refinement. There's way too much going on and it doesn't all compliment one another.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
I actually really like this design! To me, it has the perfect mix of different colors and building materials. I also really like the podium, makes it look like a mix of individual stores lining up the street (which then gives the street a "main street vibe"). Wayyyyyy better than those 5-6 story block podiums making it look like a huge parkade.
The podium is the best part, it's great seeing all of this new interest in downtown Hamilton. Is there a trend with younger people up the mountain wanting live in a more urban area now?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 8:58 PM
arf

My city dreams of having something as polished and urban as that proposed.

I'd do something different with the top, but it's the luxury suite up there. They generally always throw the balance of the composition off.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Is there a trend with younger people up the mountain wanting live in a more urban area now?
There's a mix of younger and older people from all over the city, not just the mountain, moving downtown. Around 70-80% of the buyers for the first two phases of The Residences of the Royal Connaught were Hamiltonians.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 9:20 PM

It's a happening place these days. I was on Locke Street for my first time ever 2 weeks ago and it was so much like SE Division Street in Portland, Doughnut Shops Microbreweries and all.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 9:26 PM
Fake News

Nice Hamilton proposal!

https://clockzillakingoflaval.tumblr.com

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 5:28 AM

New proposal for the Grimsby waterfront, located within the Grimsby GO Station Secondary Plan boundary. It's called "Casablanca". The towers look to be 23 and 20 floors, both Grimsby's new tallests. It's proposed to be built on the parking lot of the Casablanca Winery Inn & Spa, here.

source

Quote:
Casablanca Winery Inn & Spa (“Casablanca”) is both a development project and an operating hotel in Grimsby, Ontario. The 80-room hotel, equipped with two full-service restaurants, sits on a 2.6 acre parcel of land in the centre of the fastest-growing neighbourhood in Grimsby – conveniently situated between Lake Ontario and the future Grimsby GO Station. The busy hotel is itself a development project, with the ability to service a multi-phase expansion including up to 100 new rooms.

In addition, the hotel sits on excess lands – currently providing additional parking. These lands are in the early stages of high-rise development planning. We expect final approval to yield over 300,000 square feet of residential gross floor area.

The hotel and new residential tower will continue to provide patrons and residents unobstructed views of Lake Ontario – starting as low as the third floor.

- therosseaugroup.com/portfolio-item/casablanca

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 5:33 AM
Made in Edmonton

^ that's pretty damn nice.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 5:37 AM

"Brant & Fairview", a new proposal for Burlington by the same developer as the Grimsby proposal above...

source

Quote:
Brant & Fairview is a high-rise residential development project in Burlington, Ontario. The amalgamated site permits the development of a high-rise building in a known “intensification zone” – a government-designated area within 800m of a commuter railroad station – that was recently granted special high-rise status.

The project is situated on the south-east corner of Brant Street and Fairview Street along a rapidly transforming corridor in Burlington. Phase One commenced in Q3 2017 with the acquisition of the adjacent properties and will complete with site plan approval for a high-rise residential development.

A collaboration between award-winning architects and interior designers yielded an initial design that was well received by the local government and the community. The project’s unique, eye-catching exterior will bring a new and modern look to Burlington’s developing core.

- therosseaugroup.com/portfolio-item/brant-fairview

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 6:14 AM

Damn, both of those are really nice! Definitely a fan of the Casablanca development.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 12:04 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian

20 floors in Grimsby? That's quite an increase. Do they even have anything over 10 now?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 1:09 PM
Insertoronto

Both of these are extremely ambitious in terms of their architecture. I would be surprised if the price per square foot in that are could actually implement these designs effectively.

I think Grimsby has something in the 15 floor range approved.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 2:48 PM
The New Republic

There's quite a bit of wealth in the Hamilton area. Besides, is it any more high end than Absolute in Mississauga? Maybe a little bit but they're not high end like The One.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada