HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 6, 2014, 9:41 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I wonder how you'd respond to Calle de las Damas in Santo Domingo (the "oldest street in the Americas" - 1502!)? Off the plaza down from that street is the house of Diego Colon (yes, Chris's kid! - I think it dates to around 1510). It makes one aware of how out on the fringes of European colonization Canada was when you see the mighty civilization that the Spaniards had already build by the time Champlain sailed up the Saint Lawrence.
It's interesting how Spanish colonization followed its own arc that began about a century before France and Britain. We think of Britain today as being a step above Spain, but in the 1500's Spain was the much more powerful country and Britain was on the sidelines.

It's not just a few places that have these 1500's buildings in Latin America. Town after town has a church or cathedral from the 1500's. Even places far inland like Guadalajara have cathedrals from the 1500's.

Here's the sort of thing they were building in Spain in the 1500's with the proceeds of their New World activities:

Source

Old Posted Apr 6, 2014, 9:44 PM

The oldest building in Ontario is the Mohawk Chapel on the Six Nations of the Grand River territory. I stopped by the chapel on a visit to Ohsweken a couple years ago. The whole area has a very interesting history (especially if you approach it from the Haudenosaunee perspective), and feels just about as "distinct society" as you're likely to find in Southern Ontario.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 12:36 AM
Riki beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
(sorry, but that 1744 house from Rimouski has no business being on that list)
Why? Because you hate my hometown?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 12:53 AM
Riki beach

La Maison Lamontagne in Rimouski built around 1744 is the oldest house in eastern Québec and a historical site.

http://www.maisonlamontagne.com/accueil.asp
http://www.srdp.qc.ca/srp_sitelamontagne.html

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 3:01 PM

The oldest [still standing] building in Regina is the RNWMP Chapel, which is located at the present-day RCMP Academy. It was built in Ontario and was relocated to Regina during 1883.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 3:11 PM
So very tired...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
I believe the oldest still standing (not reconstruction either) is the 1881 Schoolhouse in the McKay Avenue area of Downtown Edmonton.
Ha ha ha, ugh, a shot from that week I was trying awful HDRs...

Should probably be mentioned that it was Alberta's first public school, and has been relocated twice (once after serving as a residence in Rossdale). Found a historic picture, and another once it was restored and moved to its present location.

- http://maybeedmonton.tumblr.com/post...s-first-public

- http://maybeedmonton.tumblr.com/post...s-first-public

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 3:41 PM
So very tired...

Anyway, I've just learned that the oldest in Edmonton is the original John Walter house, one of the first residences built outside the walls of Fort Edmonton, 1875.

- http://www.edmonton.ca

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
Yes. Quebec boasts a surprising number of 17th century buildings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ings_in_Canada
The Ontario list on this page is very inaccurate. It's more of a "Old buildings in Toronto" list. There are plenty of 1800's buildings not mentioned in Ottawa. On top of that, there are many buildings from the 1800's in Pembroke, and probably more in places like Renfrew, Arnprior, Perth, Kingston, Cobourg, Gananoque, Pakenham, etc. Heck, even North Bay has buildings older than some of those.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 4:59 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Pine View Post
The Ontario list on this page is very inaccurate. It's more of a "Old buildings in Toronto" list. There are plenty of 1800's buildings not mentioned in Ottawa. On top of that, there are many buildings from the 1800's in Pembroke, and probably more in places like Renfrew, Arnprior, Perth, Kingston, Cobourg, Gananoque, Pakenham, etc. Heck, even North Bay has buildings older than some of those.
In the Sault there is the Ermatinger House, which is now 200 years old (built 1812-14):

link

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 5:55 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93JC View Post

This derelict shack is the oldest building in Calgary. Known as Hunt House, after the man who inhabited it from the 1940s to 1975, it was built in 1876 as a residence at the local HBC trading post near Fort Calgary (Fort Calgary was an NWMP outpost).
There's actually some debate about the age of the shack. I note its entry on the city's inventory seems to have only been able to narrow it's date to between 1876 and 1881. Plus, on the old Brewery grounds there is a log cabin (which used to be beside this shack, and is soon to be moved back) which apparently was built as early as 1875. No one seems to know. If you go a bit newer than 1875 (the year Calgary went from nothing to a fort) we get:

Major Stewart House (1885)

Rouleau House (1885)

St Paul's Anglican Church (1885)

T.C. Power & Bros (1885)

All photos: City of Calgary Heritage Planning dept
http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/LUPP/Pages...resources.aspx

There's also a house in Edworth Park where apparently the log cabin part dates from 1883 and the rest from 1896, no photo unfortunately.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
In the Sault there is the Ermatinger House, which is now 200 years old (built 1812-14):

link

Absolutely gorgeous! Ermatinger seems to have been an interesting character:
http://www.ecnhs.com/VisitUs/OldStoneHouse.aspx

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 9:20 PM
Here and There

Lol, I think my 1908 house in Calgary may end up being the oldest soon...

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 10:06 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Lol, I think my 1908 house in Calgary may end up being the oldest soon...
Anything pre-1910 definitely starts to get into 'uncommon' territory in Calgary.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 10:43 PM
ARTchitecture

There are lots of buildings on Stephen Ave from before 1910. I think even the Lancaster Building (9 storeys) is from that era.

EDIT: oops, Lancaster is from 1912. It's a beautiful old structure though. Our closest thing to a historic office "tower"...

EDIT EDIT: Ooops, Lancaster is 10 floors, 9 original, 1 added later.

http://www.calgaryheritage.org/phpbb...pic.php?t=1333

Here's a photo exemplifying the 10th storey with vaulted ceiling. The tower is about 37 meters tall, not bad for a town of 45 000.

http://www.getdown.ca/2012/04/27/thr...ster-building/

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Last edited by Chadillaccc; Apr 7, 2014 at 11:10 PM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone View Post
Why? Because you hate my hometown?
Not at all...

For the exact same reason Sherbrooke's oldest building (George F. Bowen's house, Sherbrooke's first mayor) also has no business being on that list!

In case you haven't noticed, the list basically stops at the late 1600s... houses from the mid-1700s are irrelevant, there are way too many to bother trying to list them. In fact this being wikipedia I'm probably going to edit that house out of there when I get a minute

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 12:11 AM
Riki beach

Quote:
Not at all...

For the exact same reason Sherbrooke's oldest building (George F. Bowen's house, Sherbrooke's first mayor) also has no business being on that list!

In case you haven't noticed, the list basically stops at the late 1600s... houses from the mid-1700s are irrelevant, there are way too many to bother trying to list them. In fact this being wikipedia I'm probably going to edit that house out of there when I get a minute
The one in Rimouski or Sherbrooke? Anyway dont remove anything c'mon!

Obviously its not the oldest in the province but La Maison Lamontagne is relevant I think because Its the oldest habitation in eastern Québec, Its classified a provincial historical site and monument but Its most important feature is its uniqueness in North America wich makes a local pride and landmark: La Maison Lamontagne représente l’un des derniers exemplaires en Amérique du Nord d’un mode de construction hérité du Moyen Âge : le colombage pierroté.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 12:21 AM

Quote:
The one in Rimouski or Sherbrooke? Anyway dont remove anything c'mon!

Obviously its not the oldest in the province but La Maison Lamontagne is relevant I think because Its the oldest habitation in eastern Québec, Its classified a provincial historical site and monument but the most important feature is its uniqueness in North America wich makes a local pride and landmark: La Maison Lamontagne représente l’un des derniers exemplaires en Amérique du Nord d’un mode de construction hérité du Moyen Âge : le colombage pierroté.
Provincial historical site? In the Townships the old Louis St-Laurent house and general store in Compton is a Federal historical site yet it's not on that list -- why? Because it's not a building from the 1600s. Simple as that. If it were on that list I'd also want to edit it out.

There are countless houses from the mid-1700s in the province, so none belongs on that list, whether or not they're architecturally unique, or the oldest in their city or their particular region of the province, or whatnot.

The list's name is clear enough, "Oldest buildings in Quebec." Nothing in Sherbrooke or Rimouski need apply. It's nothing against Rimouski

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 12:36 AM
Riki beach

Quote:
Provincial historical site? In the Townships the old Louis St-Laurent house and general store in Compton is a Federal historical site yet it's not on that list -- why? Because it's not a building from the 1600s. Simple as that. If it were on that list I'd also want to edit it out.

There are countless houses from the mid-1700s in the province, so none belongs on that list, whether or not they're architecturally unique, or the oldest in their city or their particular region of the province, or whatnot.

The list's name is clear enough, "Oldest buildings in Quebec." Nothing in Sherbrooke or Rimouski need apply. It's nothing against Rimouski
Looking at these provincial listings and the range of dates in each of them, your gonna have a lot of erasing to do, or what about live and let live?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 12:37 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
I think it's interesting though to see when settlement reached different parts of the province.

It's more of an "oldest and notable buildings" list, but that's true of all the other provinces as well.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Looking at these provincial listings and the range of dates in each of them, your gonna have a lot of erasing to do, or what about live and let live?
I wouldn't dream of messing with provinces I'm not familiar with, or more generally any subject on wiki that I'm not familiar with, though I agree with Andy6 (a Manitoban originally IIRC) that buildings from the 1910s shouldn't be there at all (which I believe is what he was saying).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada