Building Data Page   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 11:02 PM
New Yorker for life

Smile NEW YORK | LICH Redevelopment | FT | FLOORS

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...-for-lich-site

50-story towers eyed for LICH site
In addition to a full-service hospital to replace money-losing Long Island College Hospital, developers consider the highest of high-rises.

Barbara Benson and Daniel Geiger
April 25, 2014

Quote:
The highest-scoring bid for Long Island College Hospital captured the support of surrounding Brooklyn communities and elbowed aside a deep field of competitors by pledging to preserve a full-service hospital at the Cobble Hill site.

But that pledge comes at a cost. The would-be real estate developers of the medical campus are counting on high-rise residential towers of a scale never before seen in an area at the heart of Brownstone Brooklyn in order to make the deal pencil out, according to emails among executives involved in the bid.

Brooklyn Health Partners envisions raising at least two soaring residential buildings of up to 50-stories on the campus of low-rise buildings that comprises LICH. BHP has plans to build a 40- to 50-story condo tower on the site of a large parking garage on the corner of Atlantic Avenue and Hicks Street
that is part of the LICH campus, according to emails from a financier involved in the bid and obtained by Crain's.

The building would be 80% market rate and 20% affordable. The financing group, HKS Capital Partners, indicated in the Brooklyn Health Partners proposal that it plans to raise the roughly $600 million that BHP estimates it will need to acquire the hospital, keep it running and refurbish it, as well as to develop up to 2 million square feet of residential space, according to the emails.

The BHP developers envision raising another tower that could be similar in height and size, but would feature rental apartments, 40% of which would be affordable housing.

BHP currently is negotiating with the State University of New York on a contract to buy the LICH campus. The group scored the highest number of points in a bidding process concluded by SUNY earlier this month. A coalition of community groups and unions sued the school system to revamp its bidding process for LICH, opening the door for BHP’s last round winning bid. As a result of a court settlement, the bids were scored to award higher points for proposals that included building a full-service hospital at LICH.

In an email, the financier at HKS Capital Partners, John Richard Chantengco, points to the recently approved Domino Sugar redevelopment plan, suggesting that it sets a precedent under Mayor Bill de Blasio's new administration for denser development so long as a developer promises more affordable housing in return. The developer of the Domino deal, Two Trees, pledged that 30% of the 2,300 units it is creating at that site will be affordable.

"Did you notice I said 40%?" Mr. Chantengco said in the March 4 email to BHP's principals, suggesting that that higher ratio of affordable housing would pass muster with the new administration and win BHP the right to build bigger at LICH.

"We are spoon feeding our deal to de Blasio," he wrote.

BHP would need approval from the city and City Council to receive needed zoning changes that would permit it to construct high-rise tower in that area.

The new details show how BHP, a bid led by executives Merrell Schexnydre and Larry English, plans to use the residential real estate portion of the development to pay for--and profit from--its ambitious proposal to build a full-service hospital at the site of Long Island College Hospital, which is scheduled to close in May. It is unclear whether Cobble Hill and surrounding communities, which vigorously protested the hospital's closure and initially embraced BHP as the winner of the bid, will support the firm's plan for large-scale residential development.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 11:26 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
In an email, the financier at HKS Capital Partners, John Richard Chantengco, points to the recently approved
Domino Sugar redevelopment plan, suggesting that it sets a precedent under Mayor Bill de Blasio's new administration
for denser development so long as a developer promises more affordable housing in return. The developer of the
Domino deal, Two Trees, pledged that 30% of the 2,300 units it is creating at that site will be affordable.

"Did you notice I said 40%?" Mr. Chantengco said in the March 4 email to BHP's principals, suggesting that
the higher ratio of affordable housing would pass muster with the new administration and win BHP the right
to build bigger at LICH.

"We are spoon feeding our deal to de Blasio," he wrote.

The towers would rise next to the BQE...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Apr 25, 2014 at 11:44 PM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 12:13 AM

It appears to be two 50-floor towers under consideration. I think thread title should be changed.

But, in any case, I'm sure we'll get more details soon. If the city is to build more affordable housing, there will have to be these types of luxury developments built, in order to cross-subsidize the affordable housing.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 12:26 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
It appears to be two 50-floor towers under consideration. I think thread title should be changed.
Yeah, it says another tower of similar size, but its not certain yet. That one would hold the 40% affordable units. At least one tower will go on the garage site, with 20%.

Still, plans aren't publicly released...

http://www.brooklyneagle.com/article...%99-2014-04-25

Quote:
Brooklyn Health Partners (BHP), the group which won the bidding war for Long Island College Hospital (LICH) earlier this month, is refuting stories leaked to publications that plans are already in the works to raise “at least two soaring residential buildings of up to 50-stories” on the Cobble Hill campus and are “spoon feeding” a deal to the de Blasio administration which would trade building density and height for a higher percentage of affordable housing.

Crain’s, which published a story on this Friday, said they obtained the information from emails from a financier involved in the bid, HKS Capital Partners. HKS was not available for comment at press time.

Donnette Dunbar, spokesperson for BHP, told the Brooklyn Eagle on Friday, “Various reports that Brooklyn Health Partners (BHP) has made land use decisions concerning the Long Island College Hospital campus are absolutely false.

“BHP's sole focus is closing with the State University of New York so it can began to provide medical services to the citizens of Brooklyn, as promised,” she said.

“When the time is appropriate, we will sit with the various community stakeholders and discuss how we will build a 21st century collaborative product that all of New York can be proud of.”

BHP has consistently refused to elaborate on the proposal while the group is “knee-deep in negotiations with SUNY.”

Last edited by NYguy; Apr 26, 2014 at 12:39 AM.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 4:07 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories...-bk_37_18.html

Would-be LICH developer faces May 4 deadline

BY MEGAN RIESZ
The Brooklyn Paper

Quote:
Long Island College Hospital could be handed over to a developer that has no plans to keep it a hospital if the company currently on tap to take over does not get its finances in order by May 4.

Brooklyn Health Partners, a group created to bid for the 156-year-old Cobble Hill institution, beat out eight other developer–medical company partnerships that applied to buy the hospital and turn it into some combination of housing and medical facilities.

The company must put down $25 million of the $250 million it said it would pony up for the medical complex by May 4, or else the State University of New York will call off the deal and begin negotiating with the Peebles Corporation, the bidder that scored second-highest in a court-mandated process that was supposed to give extra weight to proposals that retained a hospital on the site. The Peebles plan calls for dismantling the hospital and replacing it with an unspecified amount of housing along with an ambulatory surgery center and doctors offices, while three other pitches called for hospitals.

Peebles head Don Peebles has political ties to State University of New York chairman H. Carl McCall, Crain’s New York Business first reported.

If the Peebles deal also fell apart, the medical campus would go to Fortis Property Group, a developer which also called for shuttering the hospital and building housing in its place, and which also has ties to Long Island College Hospital’s current management.

A Fortis Property Group founder and his uncle, who does not work for the company, donated $17,500 to the re-election campaign of Gov. Cuomo, who controls the State University of New York.

In addition to the $25 million Brooklyn Health Partners must pay by next week, the developer must have its purchase agreement with the state approved by the Department of Buildings and the state attorney general and comptroller, according to Walden.

The developer plans to establish a temporary, 150-bed hospital while it builds a new 300–400-bed facility on the medical campus along with 1,000 apartments, which, according to Crain’s, could be housed in 50-story towers.

And this response to the article shows how people feel about any development, regardless of any hospital remaining open, which was the primary concern:

Quote:
hell no! from Cobble Hill says:

Care far less about a hospital than a 50 STORY TOWER!!!

Let's stop fussing about hospital and get to the real business of "Limited Height". The rest of Cobble Hill has LH and the hospital zone MUST get included ASAP before we have the next war.

More happy quotes following the Brownstoner piece...

http://www.brownstoner.com/blog/2014...n-cobble-hill/

LICH Developer Plans Two 50-Story Towers in Cobble Hill to Offset Cost of Hospital

April 28, 2014
by Cate

Quote:
The firm chosen to develop the Long Island College Hospital in Cobble Hill is planning to build two 50-story residential towers to offset the cost of keeping a full-service hospital there, according to a report in Crain’s. The height would certainly be taller than anything seen before in the neighborhood, where LICH buildings currently rise to about 12 stories.

The report was based on documents and emails from a financial advisor to the project, said Crain’s. Brooklyn Health Partners downplayed but did not deny the report, saying that it is not yet “focused” on the residential part of the development. ”BHP’s sole focus is closing with the State University of New York so it can begin to provide medical services to the citizens of Brooklyn, as promised,” said a spokeswoman. “When the time is appropriate, we will sit with the various community stakeholders and discuss how we will build a 21st-century collaborative product that all of New York can be proud of.”

Some mixed response:

Quote:
JoeBushwick
April 28, 2014 at 9:59 am
I can only assume that by proposing something as ridiculous as a 50 story tower, the developers are hoping to stir up the neighborhood and then as a compromise they will propose something more reasonable. Then they will tell the community that the’ll be happy to build at a lower density but there won’t be enough juice in the deal to keep the hospital open.

Tower18
April 28, 2014 at 10:26 am
I actually don’t have any problem with a high rise development in this particular spot. Of all of Cobble Hill/Brooklyn Heights, it’s got to be one of the best spots for an out of context development (because what context is right there? The BQE?)
But 50 stories seems a bit much for this spot, ~half a mile from the nearest subway. I agree that this is much like fare/toll hikes, where an astronomical proposal is trotted out, with no intention of EVER coming to fruition, just so they can reduce it to 20 stories later, and everyone looks like they compromised…but 20 stories was the plan all along, they just can’t come out and say that first.

mrshankly
April 28, 2014 at 10:46 am
What’s wrong with 50 stories here? Housing density is a good thing, and its greener. The same folks in this neighborhood who are for these things will just should NIMBY.

brklynmind
April 28, 2014 at 11:19 am
Actually not a great spot for density as it isnt really all that close to mass transit; but I do admire the strategy of dividing and conquering the never happy activists……You want your Hospital, you get density, you dont want density you dont get the hospital – brilliant!

miss718
April 28, 2014 at 11:23 am
In other words: “We have no intention of keeping the hospital open”. I cannot imagine that 50 story towers are going to get the green light. And the poor developer just can’t justify keeping the hospital going without them, so….

Last edited by NYguy; Apr 28, 2014 at 4:18 PM.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 6:27 PM

Two 50 floor towers on the bordering both Cobble Hill and Brooklyn Hts? Ha!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 12:37 AM

I used to live in Cobble Hill a few blocks from here. 50 story towers would be completely out of place and I don't have a NIMBY bone in my body but this is a ridiculous proposal.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 2:11 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
I used to live in Cobble Hill a few blocks from here. 50 story towers would be completely out of place and I don't have a NIMBY bone in my body but this is a ridiculous proposal.
I mean the Citigroup tower in Queens is also pretty out of place but I don't mind it at all.

At least there would be 2 here.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 1:09 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:

In the middle of the neighborhood, maybe. Bordering the BQE, I don't see why it should be out of place. But if that hospital closes, guess what, that entire property is going to be redeveloped, opening the door for multiple towers. Then it wouldn't be so out of place. But nobody wants that.

http://blog.archpaper.com/wordpress/archives/83758

Long Island College Hospital Could Get The Residential Tower Treatment

[img]

April 28, 2014
Henry Melcher

Quote:
After a long and heated fight to save Brooklyn’s Long Island College Hospital from demolition, the site’s future as a medical center has been cemented. But along with the full-service hospital could come two residential towers that are significantly taller than anything in the predominantly-brownstone Cobble Hill neighborhood.

According to Crain’s, “the would-be real estate developers of the medical campus are counting on high-rise residential towers of a scale never before seen in the heart of brownstone Brooklyn in order to make the deal pencil out, according to emails among executives involved in the bid.”

Brooklyn Health Partners—a company created to participate in the bidding process for the project—is reportedly planning two 40–50 story towers at the site, one condo and one rental. The scale of these towers was not included in the team’s winning bid. The group’s spokesperson told Crain’s they’re not yet focused on that part of the project.

To get this plan approved, the development team is also adopting what Crain‘s called the “Domino approach”—a reference to the winning strategy for the redevelopment of the Domino Sugar Factory. At that site, the developer, Two Trees, was granted zoning changes in exchange for an increase in affordable housing.

Plans for the towers at the Long Island College Hospital site call for 20 percent affordable units in the condo tower, and 40 percent in the rental. As the with Domino, this plan requires approval from the de Blasio Administration and City Council.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 1:20 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This will happen. DeBlasio loves that affordable housing and the city desperately needs more units of residential. Although I bet developers miss Bloomberg. Probably was was way easier under his administration to get projects moving along.

This is a positive trend. Years ago, areas in the outer boroughs never had such a height. Now look, towers that are breaking the 500+ range are sprouting everywhere like delicious weeds on a lawn.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 4:47 AM
New Yorker for life

This could very well end up with no operating hospital on site...

http://www.brooklyneagle.com/article...4-04-30-204400

Storm swirls around LICH bidder in Brooklyn, days before May 5 deadline

By Mary Frost

Quote:
The group negotiating to take over Brooklyn’s embattled Long Island College Hospital (LICH) from the State University of New York may have won the bidding war, but now they find themselves embroiled in a war of public perception.

If negotiations with SUNY are successful, on May 5 Brooklyn Health Partners (BHP), a California-based group, will plunk down a non-refundable $25 million deposit and move on to the next stage of approvals necessary to operate a hospital at the LICH site.

But an onslaught of negative articles about BHP’s viability and alleged plans to build 50-story towers, skepticism about SUNY’s bidding process, and an expression of doubt from none other than Mayor Bill de Blasio has BHP’s partners shaking their heads.

.....BHP spokesperson Donnette Dunbar said the group was taken aback by the criticism, since good faith negotiations are ongoing.

“Brooklyn Health Partners is surprised that the mayor has taken that position seeing he has not been a part of our negotiations with the State University of New York,” she told the Eagle.

“On May 5, BHP will make a $25 million non-refundable payment and show it has the financial means to complete the entire project,” she said. “We would hope that the mayor and other stakeholders would judge BHP, not on unsubstantiated rumors, but on its performance.”

http://www.brooklyneagle.com/article...l-bidders-lich

Quote:
Mayor de Blasio on Tuesday afternoon lobbed a bomb onto the ongoing negotiations over the ownership of Long Island College Hospital (LICH) in Brooklyn.

“Our mission is to save and protect continuous, high-level health care at Long Island College Hospital, and this is the heart of the agreement made between SUNY and the community earlier this year,” Mayor de Blasio said in a statement.

“To make good on this promise, those proposals that are unable to deliver health care at LICH should be bypassed, and those that can must be engaged,” he said. “I urge SUNY to open a new dialogue with additional bidders, so health care can be saved at this facility for tens of thousands of New Yorkers.”

SUNY declined to comment on the Mayor's comment.

De Blasio said his call comes on the heels of reports that the proposal from BHP will "likely not meet the requirements of a settlement" struck earlier this year among SUNY, a coalition of community advocates and activists, and elected officials, including the Mayor.

BHP was faced with an onslaught of negative articles this past week about their viability and about their alleged plans to build 50-story towers at the Cobble Hill site. The plans were supplied to reporters by one of the losing bidders, Derek Oubre, president of Trindade Value Partners -- a former BHP partner who is now considering legal action against the group.

.....BHP spokesperson Donnette Dunbar told the Brooklyn Eagle after the Mayor’s earlier comment on Monday that BHP was “surprised that the mayor has taken that position seeing he has not been a part of our negotiations with the State University of New York.”

She expressed confidence that BHP would be able to make a $25 million nonrefundable deposit on May 5, and prove that it has the financial means to complete the entire project.

.....LICH was nearly shuttered last summer, until a coalition of community activists, unions and elected leaders, including then-Public Advocate Bill de Blasio, launched a series of protests and legal actions to prevent a closure. De Blasio played a major role in keeping LICH open, even getting arrested in a protest.

Mayor de Blasio said that closing LICH would deny care to approximately 75,000 people in Brooklyn who rely on the hospital as their primary neighborhood source of health care.

Stay tuned, this is getting good.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Agree. This just isnt a good idea.

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 1:30 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.brooklyneagle.com/node/11326%20

Brooklyn judge rules against first-place bidder for Long Island College Hospital

By Mary Frost

Quote:
Telling a packed Brooklyn courtroom that “a serious decision has to be made,” state Supreme Court Justice Johnny Lee Baynes ruled against Brooklyn Health Partners’ attempt to force the State University of New York (SUNY) to accept their bid for Long Island College Hospital (LICH).

Brooklyn Health Partners (BHP), a team combining California developers and a Borough Park investor, had been ranked first in SUNY’s disputed Request for Proposals bidding process, but contract talks fell apart weeks ago.

BHP CEO Merrell Schexnydre and investor Harry (Chaim) Miller claimed SUNY did not negotiate in good faith. But they failed to make their case before Justice Baynes on Tuesday.

The ruling frees SUNY to negotiate with the ostensible second-place bidder, developer Peebles Corp., which is not offering to operate the LICH campus as a full-service hospital.

Community groups and doctors plan to contest the final rankings on Thursday, charging that some panelists scoring the bids did not follow the negotiated settlement’s guidelines.

No matter who is ultimately chosen to take over the historic Cobble Hill hospital, the doors are scheduled to close on May 22, leaving thousands of Brooklyn residents without nearby health services or an ER. SUNY plans to shut down LICH's ER on Thursday.

Justice Baynes said he based his decision on “everything on the record” about BHP’s ability to finance the acquisition of LICH and operate the hospital as described in their proposal.

The judge had asked BHP to provide nine items as proof of financial and medical capacity on Tuesday, including letters of credit attesting to their ability to pay the purchase price of $250 million in non-contingent funds, with a $25 million cash deposit. He also required documentation of BHP’s interim health care arrangements, and proof of the group’s capacity to build a $50 million bridge facility and construct a new $300 million hospital.

According to SUNY’s attorneys, BHP obtained a loan commitment from Madison Realty Capital which was subject to an interest rate of prime plus 8 percent, payable in 24 months – with all interest payable up front at closing. “That’s no less than 12 percent,” said SUNY attorney Frank Carone. “Guess who would own the property? Madison Realty Capital when they foreclose. That’s bad business.”

BHP attorney Jill Block disputed Carone’s description of the terms, saying the loan merely required that a six-month reserve be established, replenished every six months. “That’s typical of real estate loans,” she said.

LICH advocates had praise for Justice Baynes, who they called “more than fair,” but fear the decision leaves the hospital in limbo. More than 20,000 patients visited LICH’s ER over the last year, and 182 dialysis patients will be left in the cold after May 22.

Meanwhile, there will be towers built in the immediate area whatever the plans are here...

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1790938

Two controversial new luxury condo towers with awesome waterfront views are set
for Brooklyn Bridge Park despite opposition from Brooklyn pols

Quote:
Two controversial new luxury condo towers with spectacular waterfront views are heading to Brooklyn Bridge Park, despite strong resistance from Brooklyn elected officials.

The de Blasio administration Tuesday launched a search for a developer to build two residential towers that could soar 15 and 31 stories — but the push for affordable housing has collided with a desire by advocates to keep the park green.

“We are disappointed with this rush to continue the Bloomberg Administration plan for housing towers in Brooklyn Bridge Park,” said a letter signed by elected officials, including Councilman Brad Lander, a de Blasio backer.

“As we fight to save Long Island College Hospital across the street, we must plan more thoughtfully for the future of the neighborhood,” continued the missive, also signed by Rep. Nydia Velazquez, state Sen. Daniel Squadron, state Assemblywoman Joan Millman and Councilman Steve Levin.

The city has called for 30% of the estimated 430 apartments at the two towers to be reserved for moderate- and middle-income residents, but the nod toward affordable housing has done little to sway officials opposed to private housing in city parks.

Still, city officials, including a deputy mayor and the head of Brooklyn Bridge Park, hailed the proposal on Tuesday, insisting it will generate housing and millions of dollars for the park.

“This is a unique opportunity to see this world-class park built and sustained for decades to come, while at the same time providing opportunities for middle-income workers who increasingly cannot afford to live in Brooklyn,” said Deputy Mayor for Housing and Economic Development Alicia Glen.

“It’s a win-win for the community and the borough.”

Last edited by NYguy; May 14, 2014 at 1:40 PM.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 6:05 PM
New Yorker for life

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2014/06/...hill-hospital/

Fortis strikes $240M deal with SUNY for Cobble Hill hospital
Agreement calls for a mix of affordable housing, medical facilities -- and luxury condos

June 16, 2014

Quote:
Fortis Property Group struck an agreement in principle with SUNY to buy Long Island College Hospital in Cobble Hill for $240 million plus other unspecified costs. The deal paves the way for Fortis to build luxury condominiums on the property.

Under the arrangement, Fortis will partner with NYU Langone Medical Center and Lutheran Medical Center to provide outpatient services and a 20-bed emergency department, Capital New York reported.

Fortis will also fund emergency care during the transition and set aside $5 million for a foundation focused on the community’s healthcare needs.

SUNY dropped a similar plan in December after hospital officials said a mix of condominiums and healthcare services would not benefit the hospital. Mayor Bill de Blasio also opposed the plan at the time, saying he was “troubled” by the conversion of hospital properties to luxury condos. The mayor later dropped his insistence on keeping a full-service hospital on the site.

As part of a new LICH bidding process, Fortis submitted a plan in February that would reserve 25 percent of new residential space for affordable housing. SUNY resumed talks with Fortis in May after deals with the top two bidders, Brooklyn Health Partners and the Peebles Corporation, fell through.

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/articl...rtis-sell-lich

By Dan Goldberg
Jun. 15, 2014

Quote:
SUNY has reached an agreement in principle with Fortis Property Group for the sale of Long Island College Hospital, a deal that would allow the state to finally walk away from the financially troubled hospital, but would not provide for a full-service hospital on the site.

Fortis, a Brooklyn development company partnered with N.Y.U. Langone Medical Center and Lutheran Medical Center, plans to offer a mix of medical services, a freestanding emergency department, and would also build new luxury condominiums.

The agreement ensures that the hospital will not close its doors and that some element of care would remain at the Cobble Hill site, a crucial point for the de Blasio administration, which has been working behind the scenes to reach a deal.

But what LICH is now slated to become is a shadow of its former self. The 250-plus bed hospital will be transformed into a freestanding emergency department with fewer than two dozen observational beds.

.....SUNY received nine new proposals to purchase the hospital and they were scored by 18 evaluators who represented SUNY's and the community's interests. Fortis's bid scored third among the nine, but moved into the top spot after SUNY could not reach a deal with Brooklyn Health Partners nor The Peebles Corporation.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 6:24 PM
BANNED

What the...

Last edited by Perklol; Oct 10, 2014 at 9:58 PM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 11:45 PM
New Yorker for life

http://online.wsj.com/articles/affor...rk_real_estate

Affordable Housing Is Unclear in Brooklyn Hospital Venture
Questions Raised About Lower-Cost Housing at Long Island College Hospital Site

By Laura Kusisto
Aug. 12, 2014

Quote:
The blow of losing a full-service hospital in the heart of brownstone Brooklyn was eased in part by the expectation the Long Island College Hospital site would host new, affordable apartments in one of the borough's priciest neighborhoods.

But Ron Moelis, a principal at L+M Development Partners, who was presented as an affordable-housing developer for the project led by Fortis Property Group, said he had withdrawn from the venture, raising questions about the likelihood that lower-cost housing would be included at the site.

Mr. Moelis said if Fortis could line up support from city officials to build taller buildings, he would consider working again with the firm on the project, if Fortis wanted him to.

For Fortis to make the project work financially and include affordable apartments, it would likely need to build more housing overall, people familiar with the matter said.

But that could meet with resistance from some groups in the community, which is made up of mostly low-rise building of five stories or less.

Some local leaders said including low-cost units as part of the project is nonnegotiable. "In my opinion it's a deal killer not to have affordable housing," said Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams.

In its most recent proposal, Fortis listed L+M and Full Spectrum NY as its affordable-housing partners.

"We are committed to working with the city, the community and their stakeholders to establish financially viable parameters under which a 25% affordable housing program (low-income and workforce housing) could be developed on the LICH campus," the proposal said.

...If it wants to build more than 800,000 square feet of housing, Fortis would be required to go through a public-approval process that could include winning support from the City Council, the City Planning Commission and Mayor Bill de Blasio.

...But some officials said they were concerned with the lack of clarity about what the development will look like, even as Fortis is expected to close with SUNY on the $240 million sale in the coming months.

"I don't have any way of knowing are they proposing a scenario that includes or doesn't include affordable housing, that includes or doesn't include a zoning change," said City Councilman Brad Lander, who blamed the bidding process set up by the state for not requiring more clarity. "That's very frustrating to me as a city council member."

...High-rise towers are already a sore point in the neighborhood, which is in the midst of a fight over whether to include affordable housing—or any housing at all—near Pier 6 on the edge of Brooklyn Bridge Park. LICH is surrounded by a historic district that has prevented much high-rise construction in the Cobble Hill neighborhood.

"This is our hospital. Now we're told that we have to lose it to make way for housing. It should be the least intrusive housing possible," said Jeff Strabone, a spokesman for the Cobble Hill Association.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 9:55 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.brooklyneagle.com//articl...veloper-fortis

SUNY approves sale of LICH to developer Fortis

By Mary Frost
October 9, 2014

Quote:
The State University of New York (SUNY) signed off on Thursday on the sale of Long Island College Hospital (LICH) in Cobble Hill, Brooklyn, to Fortis Property Group for $240 million.

Fortis plans a residential development.

SUNY Board Chairman H. Carl McCall said in a statement that the deal would provide “health care services for the community” in the form of an ambulatory care center to be built by NYU Langone Medical Center, and protect SUNY and the state’s taxpayers from financial losses.

The sale, long opposed by the community and local officials, must still be approved by the state attorney general and state comptroller, and other legal considerations have yet to be fully resolved.

NYU also needs final approval from the state Department of Health; it received contingent DOH approval in June to operate a small walk-in emergency department (ED) still operating on the site of the hospital.

Earlier this month, NYU said it would take over the operation of the ED, currently operated by SUNY, within two business days following regulatory approvals.

Jeff Strabone, spokesperson for the Cobble Hill Association, one of six community groups fighting the sale, said in a statement, “Governor Cuomo has decided to sell a hospital for condos without a single assessment of community health needs. No process, not even a bogus one, was ever undertaken to show whether or not booming South Brooklyn needs more or less hospital health care. At the start of 2013, LICH's beds were over 90 percent occupied. Red Hook remains a Health Professional Shortage Area under federal HHS guidelines. None of that matters to a governor intent on rewarding his friends with a waterfront development deal. People will die because of this deal. Their deaths will be due to the hubris of one man: Andrew Cuomo.”

Old Posted Oct 13, 2014, 3:06 PM

Seems I confused this with another development. Oops.

Last edited by steyin; Oct 15, 2014 at 4:57 PM.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 3:11 AM
Ex Houstonian

Wow that will be crazy to have some tall towers in that part of the city. I look forward to them being built.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 7:11 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

March to protest sale of LICH set for Sunday in Brooklyn

Quote:
A march and rally to protest the sale of Long Island College Hospital (LICH) in Cobble Hill, Brooklyn to developer Fortis Property Group is planned for Sunday, Oct. 26 at 1 p.m.

City Councilmember Brad Lander will kick off the march, which will start at Nevins Street and Atlantic Avenue and proceed down Atlantic to a rally at roughly 2 p.m. at Hicks Street and Atlantic Avenue. The rally features speakers including City Councilmember Steve Levin and Jo Anne Simon, Democratic candidate for the 52nd Assembly District.

“The goal is to put pressure on Governor Cuomo, the NY State Comptroller, and the NY State Attorney General to reverse this decision and to save our hospital,” the advocacy group Patients for LICH said in a statement. Representatives of community groups including the Cobble Hill Association plan to march.

Members of the community, officialss and staff have beeen fighting for almost two years to save the hospital.

As part of the sale, Fortis agreed to have a medical facility on the premises for neighborhood use, to be run by NYU-Langone.

"Without a hospital on the same premises, the facility is an ‘urgicare’ center that might actually be detrimental in a life threatening situation where seconds would count in saving a life,” Patients for LICH said in a statement.
==============================
October 24, 2014
http://www.brooklyneagle.com//articl...unday-brooklyn

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals