HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 12:30 PM

New 9 storey mural on Ottawa's Rideau Street.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...tawa-1.4890673

Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 11:24 PM

Portal
Artists: Studio F Minus
Date: 2018
Description: steel, glass, LED lights

Not gonna lie. I kinda want to jump into it and see if it works. But only when no one is looking because if it doesn't work, I don't want to end up on Fail Army.

https://burlingtonpublicart.com/view...ete-inventory/

https://www.burlington.ca/en/service...-Promenade.asp

http://studiofminus.com/?project=/projects/2018_Portal/

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 8:30 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

There's a new installation in Victoria Park in the Old West End (Riverheard) neighbourhood of the city. You can see it there at the top of the first hill:

Let's take a closer look...

Like everything else here, it's dedicated to the Royal Newfoundland Regiment. It's a combination of broze death masks of living descendants of WWI dead and veterans.

Jeddy1989's short and sweet review:

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Dec 19, 2018 at 8:47 PM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 8:38 PM

Creepy!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 8:45 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

My father was mugged in that park when he was 17. When I was in boot camp, some of our outdoor workouts were there. A friend's former coworkers are always there smoking weed. And this statue. That's the overall atmosphere of Victoria Park in my experience.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Update on Tache Promenade and belvedere :

HTFC Planning & Design (@htfcwpg) on Instagram:The Tache Promenade project will improve public spaces and the riverfront area along Tache Avenue between Provencher Boulevard and Despins Street featuring a widened promenade-style walkway and pedestrian belvedere elevated above the riverbank that incorporates public art.
The belvedere is a 100 metre long walkway suspended in the river forest canopy off the Tache Promenade. It was envisioned to provide a unique perspective on the river landscape, and capture one of the most spectacular views in Winnipeg, framing the Canadian Museum of Human Rights, Esplanade Riel, The Forks, and the downtown skyline.

https://twitter.com/wpgfdn/status/1076209472224284672

https://www.instagram.com/p/Brqj_upgupp/

Last edited by Wpg_Guy; May 23, 2019 at 8:27 AM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2018, 12:22 AM
Midtowner since 2K

That walkway looks lovely, wow.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 7:51 PM

New in Halifax, part of the Nova Centre:

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 1:49 PM

Interesting. Does it represent a whale?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 12:46 AM
I am a typical

It really invokes the tropical atmosphere of Halifax.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 5:48 PM

Here's a new temporary installation in Hamilton at the site of the cancelled, 30-storey, "The Connolly", which is now moving forward with a new developer.

Quote:
"Tonight we turn on an immersive light tunnel in honour of Hamilton, the Lunar New Year and a site that has been in the dark for too long. It gets dark earlier, stays cold longer and we trudge along sidewalks hoping to get home faster. Hamilton is invited for the month of February to take a detour through the light tunnel at 98 James Street S. and participate in this camera-friendly experience. People can walk through a 100-ft long tunnel filled with silk lanterns of bright colours, different shapes and sizes – from one foot to one metre – all in celebration of art, creativity and the Lunar New Year.

Designed by top Vietnamese developer Hue Developments, the installation is a preamble for their Canadian launch. Marking a new chapter with a simple “hello”, Hue Developments’ lantern installation offers their country’s symbol of artistic values to the creative landscape of Hamilton. Coming back home to Hamilton (more on this later) for their first Canadian project, Hue’s multi-residential project in partnership with Toronto-based LCH Developments is set to launch later this year."

Light Tunnel Art Installation by MarcSkulnick, on Twitter

Light Tunnel Art Installation by RyanMcGreal, on Twitter

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 8:19 AM

1919 General Strike Monument

1919 General Strike Monument
The plan is for the sculpture to be unveiled June 21, a century to the day after the bloodiest event of the Winnipeg General Strike. On a Saturday six weeks into the 1919 strike, tens of thousands of people gathered on Main Street at the former city hall to support striking workers and to protest the arrest days earlier of labour leaders.

When a streetcar driven by strikebreakers approached, demonstrators rocked it off its tracks and set fire to it. The North West Mounted Police, joined by untrained special constables, rode into the crowd with clubs and guns. Bullets were fired. Two people died and dozens were injured as a result of the confrontation on a day now known as Bloody Saturday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Overturned Streetcar, Winnipeg General Strike, Winnipeg, 21 June 1919.

Reference:

[/img]
https://www.canadashistory.ca/explor.../tipping-point

@HTFC_Winnipeg May 15

To celebrate 100 years since Winnipeg was the epicentre of the modern labour movement in Canada, we are collaborating with @noamgonick and @WinnipegArts on new artwork at the corner of Market Avenue and Main Street, commemorating the 1919 General Strike!

https://twitter.com/HTFC_Winnipeg/st...16696192049152

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 3:43 PM

Very cool piece, but does it bother anyone else that "streetcar" is facing the wrong side, and hence the doors and headlight are on the wrong side?

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 5:19 PM

It may have been just a mistake by who ever made the render. If you look at the first render and the second the streetcars are different. the second looks more like the one in the picture. What bothers me is it's doesn't look like a streetcar being tipped over but more like it's sinking in quick sand.

Last edited by TorontoDrew; May 24, 2019 at 3:33 PM.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Very cool piece, but does it bother anyone else that "streetcar" is facing the wrong side, and hence the doors and headlight are on the wrong side?
Yeah it bothered me as well...

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 8:13 PM
ARTchitecture

That is very cool, been wondering when it would be finished.A very important piece of civic history, and will get people talking about it more, which is always a good thing.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 4:05 PM

I was debating if I would post this in Transit or Public Art. Here are pictures of some of Pimisi's Indigenous public art. Worth reading the article.

Quote:
'We're still here': How artist Simon Brascoupe asserts an Algonquin presence on the LRT

Ottawa Citizen
BLAIR CRAWFORD
Updated: June 9, 2019

There’s one message that Algonquin artist Simon Brascoupe wants to send to travellers passing through Pimisi Station on Ottawa’s LRT line: “We’re still here,” he says. “The Algonquin people are still here.”

Brascoupe’s installation — Màmawi — will be the centrepiece of the Pimisi Station on Ottawa’s Confederation LRT line. The piece consists of more than 100 painted paddles suspended from the ceiling on a steel canoe-shaped structure. Each paddle is painted by a separate Indigenous artist from the Pikwakanagan First Nation near Golden Lake, the Algonquins of Ontario and Brascoupe’s own home, Kitigan Zibi near Maniwaki.

Màmawi means “together.”

“The idea is that it takes more than one person to paddle a canoe,” said Brascoupe, 71, who has worked on the project for more than three years.

“The secret to public art is to know exactly what you want to produce. You have to have the concept and the artistic vision of what you want to do right at the very beginning. With public art, in particular Indigenous or Algonquin art, you want public involvement.”

Simon Brascoupe’s art installation, Màmawi, is a stylized Algonquin canoe in the Pimisi LRT station. Photo: Simon Brascoupe JPG

It was clear in the city’s original request for proposals for LRT art that it wanted the LRT art to tell a story. After Brascoupe’s proposal was selected, he went about finding artists to contribute, putting out a call for submissions and visiting Algonquin communities in the region. The youngest contributor is six. The oldest is over 90. Some of the elders who created paddles have died before LRT commuters will ever get to see their creations.

“A lot of people would say to me, ‘Oh, I’ve been beading for 60 years but I don’t consider myself an artist’,” Brascoupe said. “I’d have to say them, ‘Oh yes, you are an artist.’ We had canoe makers, beaders, carvers, clothing makers … each paddle has its own story.”

An accompanying website, paddles.simonbrascoupe.com, shows each paddle with a photo of its creator and the story behind it. Artist Dave Liberty’s paddle shows an elegant loon, his mother’s clan. Josee Whiteduck’s paddle, Water is Life, was inspired by the water ceremony she performs. Margot Bell’s honours the eagle the landed in the backyard of her British Columbia home the same day she learned her father had died in Mattawa.

“Each paddle has a different aspect of the history of the Algonquin people on the land,” Brascoupe said. “Some are about the ceremonies. Some of them have a spiritual aspect.”

More than 100 Algonquin artists contributed hand-painted paddles. Photo: Simon Brascoupe JPG

Brascoupe has a second installation at Pimisi, an even more personal one, that was inspired by his own life. Standing nearly five metres tall, a bright red, steel moose stands alongside the train track, a tiny bird perched on its back. It recalls a hunting story Bascoupe’s father told him.

The elder Brascoupe was moose hunting with friends when two Canada Jays, also known as a whisky jack, landed near by. Whisky jacks often land on moose, picking and eating the grubs they find living in the moose hair.

Simon Brascoupe created this moose sculpture based on a hunting story his father told him. Photo: Simon Brascoupe JPG

“He told the whisky jacks, ‘Go and bring me a moose’,” Brascoupe said. “I can tell you, my father wasn’t the most patient man, but the group of them waited there all day and eventually a moose appeared with the whisky jacks on its back.”

The moose theme also appears in another Brascoupe design, the Algonquin wayfinding wheel that will be used throughout the LRT system. The symbol also incorporates stylized canoes and the colours red, white, yellow and black, representing the four points of the compass. The wayfinding wheel will be mounted on boulders in the stations since boulders were often used as direction finders by First Nation travellers.

The Pimisi Station on LeBreton Flats is named after the Algonquin word for eel and is one of 13 stations in Phase 1 of the Confederation Line. The project, already more than a year late, was supposed to have been ready by the end of June. The curious can catch a glimpse of Màmawi and the big red moose from the Booth Street Bridge.

Rideau Transit Group, the consortium building the LRT, has not set a new target date for the LRT opening.
https://ottawacitizen.com/entertainm...nce-on-the-lrt

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 4:11 PM

Progress of new murals from Mural Fest in Montreal.

Source: https://the514lifeblog.wordpress.com...2019-update-1/

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 4:26 PM

Love those Montreal ones. Especially the first one.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 1:12 AM

That toilet is trippy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada