HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Theatre Square in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Newark (New York City) Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 8:42 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

NEWARK | 2 Center St (One Theater Square) | 298 FT | 22 Floors

Quote:
Dranoff Properties, in partnership with the New Jersey Performing Arts Center (NJPAC), proposes to develop a 1.2 acre site at One Theater Square in downtown Newark, NJ into a high density residential and mixed use destination. Redefining Newarks skyline, the design includes a dramatic, curved 22-story glass tower which will become a decisive symbol of Newarks revival. It will consist of approximately 244 apartments, 15,000 sq. ft. of ground floor retail and 285 parking spaces. Located across the street from NJPAC and across Military Park from the new Prudential headquarters, within walking distance of the citys business district, and adjacent to the waterfront, this project provides the opportunity to create an urban lifestyle destination. One Theater Square is one of three development sites adjacent to and owned by NJPAC giving this project a larger vision to shape a new phase of downtown Newark.

Construction Type: Ground Up
Primary Use: Residential Tower with Retail and parking
Number of Units: over 300 rental apartments
Neighborhood Amenities: NJPAC, Military Park, NJ Light Rail, Newark Penn Station, Prudential Center Arena
=======================================

http://www.dranoffproperties.com/por...center-street/

Last edited by chris08876; Dec 25, 2016 at 5:57 PM. Reason: New rendering

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 8:51 PM
New Yorker for life

I like the curves. Very nice. The entire district is set for more development and improvements.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 9:23 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Just as a reminder to the SSP map editors, this project due to financial issues was downsized. I noticed on the SSP project map for Newark,NJ that it was over 460 FT. That should probably be updated as its the old proposal, pic below, was the development that corresponds to the map info.

Old Proposal:

The current one is the one in the first post, and the developer will make this happen.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 4:13 PM

Construction to Begin on Newark’s First New Residential Tower in 50 Years

Quote:
A new building coming to Newark will tower over the city’s Downtown. Named, One Theater Square, it will be the city’s first new residential high-rise since the 1960’s.

One Theater Square will rise along Center Street, between Park Place and Mulberry Street, just across the street from the New Jersey Performing Arts Center (NJPAC) and the recently rehabilitated Military Park. The 22-story building is being developed jointly by NJPAC and Philadelphia’s Dranoff Properties.

One Theater Square will cost $116 million, and will contain 245 apartments, ranging in cost from $1,250 to $4,500 per month. All will include balconies, and there will be 285 parking spaces for residents.

“We’re going to market to everybody”, said NJPAC President and CEO John Schreiber in an interview with Jersey Digs. “The tenant mix will be quite diverse”, he added.
http://jerseydigs.com/one-theater-sq...-construction/

Nice to see Newark finally joining the game. It's under a 10 min walk to the Newark Penn Station, which provides PATH and NJ Transit service to Manhattan. It's also a stone throw away from the Newark light rail. Good things happen with rail transit.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 9:15 PM

One Theater Square Marks New Beginning for Newark
Quote:
Fencing has been erected around a two-storey office building in Downtown Newark, New Jersey, signalling the impending demolition of the structure in order to accommodate the city's first residential highrise in 50 years. One Theater Square — developed by Philadelphia’s Dranoff Properties and the New Jersey Performing Arts Center (NJPAC) — will be sited along Center Street just across from the NJPAC.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 10:47 PM
Greetings from New Jersey

Old Posted Dec 24, 2016, 9:41 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Dec 25, 2016, 5:58 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Updated 1st post to include the new rendering.

This is quite big news for Newark. I'm still waiting for the JC style boom to come. Newark is vastly, I repeat, vastly underrated and arguably has the most potential of any NJ city. Its time will come!

There are some things going for it now though. Teachers Village, and over by NJIT and the university where I attended, Rutgers Newark, a new bio building u/c and dorms along with a recreational center.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2016, 6:13 PM

Is that a pile driver in the pic up above?

Old Posted Dec 26, 2016, 6:19 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
Is that a pile driver in the pic up above?
Yes. Drilling rig on scene.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2016, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Updated 1st post to include the new rendering.

This is quite big news for Newark. I'm still waiting for the JC style boom to come. Newark is vastly, I repeat, vastly underrated and arguably has the most potential of any NJ city. Its time will come!

There are some things going for it now though. Teachers Village, and over by NJIT and the university where I attended, Rutgers Newark, a new bio building u/c and dorms along with a recreational center.
do you really believe it's underrated? I'm not arguing with you - I'm just curious why you think that? I'd love to hear your thoughts...

When I look at Newark, it seems to have really poorly constructed buildings (with the exception of a few of the DT skyscrapers), a confusing city layout, not a lot of green areas or parks, heavily polluted areas, and it's still fairly expensive....

again, not arguing, I'd just like to hear the argument for....seems like everywhere else is booming in metro NYC and Newark is kind of in a holding pattern

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 9:15 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantSwan View Post
do you really believe it's underrated? I'm not arguing with you - I'm just curious why you think that? I'd love to hear your thoughts...

When I look at Newark, it seems to have really poorly constructed buildings (with the exception of a few of the DT skyscrapers), a confusing city layout, not a lot of green areas or parks, heavily polluted areas, and it's still fairly expensive....

again, not arguing, I'd just like to hear the argument for....seems like everywhere else is booming in metro NYC and Newark is kind of in a holding pattern
Underrated in terms of real estate developers investing in the city. Its proximity to NYC is bar to done, and the city is quite walk-able, has great culture, and is a big market that needs to be tapped on a larger scale. I think its bound to happen.

I think the biggest obstacle to this is political and crime. Political in the sense that city hall does not have the appetite for gentrification because it likes to keep the city as a social welfare state in order to continue to breed corrupt policies and retain a city government full of nepotism, and racism. The biggest being crime. Exception of a few neighborhoods, large swaths of the city are a little sketchy, and full of crime. The South and West District especially. Not necessarily the breeding ground for young couples and one in which to raise a family. Irvington is the same type of deal. Use to be very nice place in the 50's, but now its gone to shit.

I still feel that Newark can go the way of Brooklyn in time due. Lots of potential.

The city also needs to end the corruption. Anybody btw that doesn't see the point that I highlighted in bold is in a bubble. Newark needs a big fix to its local government before good, progressive policies can come to fruition.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 11:56 PM

Taken on 12/28/16

Old Posted Jan 2, 2017, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Underrated in terms of real estate developers investing in the city. Its proximity to NYC is bar to done, and the city is quite walk-able, has great culture, and is a big market that needs to be tapped on a larger scale. I think its bound to happen.

I think the biggest obstacle to this is political and crime. Political in the sense that city hall does not have the appetite for gentrification because it likes to keep the city as a social welfare state in order to continue to breed corrupt policies and retain a city government full of nepotism, and racism. The biggest being crime. Exception of a few neighborhoods, large swaths of the city are a little sketchy, and full of crime. The South and West District especially. Not necessarily the breeding ground for young couples and one in which to raise a family. Irvington is the same type of deal. Use to be very nice place in the 50's, but now its gone to shit.

I still feel that Newark can go the way of Brooklyn in time due. Lots of potential.

The city also needs to end the corruption. Anybody btw that doesn't see the point that I highlighted in bold is in a bubble. Newark needs a big fix to its local government before good, progressive policies can come to fruition.
thanks for your view point

Old Posted Jan 2, 2017, 4:51 AM

I disagree with you chris , the City has been aggressive on crime and it has paided off as the rate has gone down last year... Development is pouring in , there are over 3,000 units under construction in Newark and if everything goes smoothly another 10k by end of 2017... Each week there are a few new projects that are announced...and some big projects like Teacher's village phase 2 , Newark Broad Street redevelopment and Triangle park redevelopment are expected to break ground by end of 2017/Q1-2018... Sure Newark has a corruption problem but so does New Jersey as a whole and the Northeast in general...that hasn't stopped other cities from making a comeback and it doesn't appear to be slowing Newark... Things are heating up...as for the project size its a little scaled back but its still very infill... The City layout is your standard Northeastern Urban Layout with a few odd Urban Renewal changes...

Old Posted Jan 2, 2017, 11:21 AM
New Yorker for life

Back on topic guys. If you want to discuss city issues, take it to the city discussions.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 11:03 PM

NEWARK | One Theater Square (2 Center St) | 298FT / 91M | 22 FL

Never thought this day would come, but it's rising!

https://jerseydigs.com/one-theater-s...-construction/

Image courtesy of BLT Architects:

A new building coming to Newark will tower over the city’s Downtown. Named, One Theater Square, it will be the city’s first new residential high-rise since the 1960’s.

One Theater Square will rise along Center Street, between Park Place and Mulberry Street, just across the street from the New Jersey Performing Arts Center (NJPAC) and the recently rehabilitated Military Park. The 22-story building is being developed jointly by NJPAC and Philadelphia’s Dranoff Properties.

“It’s a complete game-changer for Downtown”, Dranoff Properties CEO Carl Dranoff told Jersey Digs, adding that “it will add glamour and glitz and be a perfect compliment to the New Jersey Performing Arts Center”.

One Theater Square was designed by BLT Architects and will cost an estimated $116 million to construct. Once completed, the tower will contain 245 apartments, ranging in cost from $1,250 to $4,500 per month. All will include balconies, and there will be 285 parking spaces for residents.

“We’re going to market to everybody”, said NJPAC President and CEO John Schreiber in an interview with Jersey Digs. “The tenant mix will be quite diverse”, he added.

On the building’s ground floor, there will be 12,000 square feet of retail space, though tenants have not yet been announced. “There will be a combination of retail resources for tenants in the building as well as restaurant venues that will be destinations for folks outside of the city”, said Schreiber. Dranoff stated that possible businesses could include a sandwich restaurant or coffee bar. Plus, the Newark Police Department will operate a substation in the building.

“What was missing (in Newark) was a brand new high-rise building”, said Dranoff, adding that potential residents “want that urban experience of living in a downtown area and they don’t want a garden apartment in the suburbs”.

The project was actually first proposed near a decade ago. However, the site, which currently consists of a small building and a parking lot, has not seen any development since.

“We did not know that there would be a financial abyss in 2008”, said Dranoff, and according to Schreiber, the recession “put a damper on a lot of construction that was intended for the market”.

Now, development is finally slated to begin at the site. Demolition of the building at the property is expected to begin in less than 30 days, the building is scheduled to open by spring of 2018, according to Dranoff.

(read more at Jersey Digs)

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 11:03 PM

Here's a pic of the core from today:

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 11:07 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Existing thread: http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show....php?p=6622065

Mods, can the two be merged.

Thanks

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 3:24 AM

Thanks Chris. Hope the mods get on top of that...

Here's another pic of the core from today:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive