HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 5:48 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Smile Columbia University in the City of New York

Check out my step by step modeling of every single building on the campus of Columbia University in the City of New York. Perhaps the greatest school (in the greatest city) in the world. What can one say that already has not been said.

Post your own experiences with the school (in and around). The relationship between the school and the city for starters has been one of intrinsic value.

The 116th Street - Columbia University train station celebrates its 110th anniversary on Oct 27th (a month from now).

The school fits so well into the fabric of the great City of New York. It also creates a reason for humanoids to venture and travel beyond 80th Street. It creates a reason for people to travel Uptown just as Yankee Stadium creates a reason for people to venture to the Bronx or Citi Field creates a reason for people to travel to the proximity of LaGuardia airport. Columbia University in the City of New York is another landmark - another pin - on a map that diversifies the population of the City of New York to differentiating areas of the city. HERE BELOW is my personal album of my pictures of Columbia University (along with online pictures).

BTW a shout out (hello) to the amazing Andrew Dolkart, Mark Wigley, and Skyscraper Museum head Carol Willis. Such amazing minds, and people. Thank you for inspiring me and continuing my fastened love for architecture, engineering, and all that these fields entail. Nothing but the utmost respect.

Also I would like to thank the amazing staff at Barnard College for welcoming me with open arms, and mentoring me. Barnard is an amazing oasis of learning for women, and for me to have a glimmer of taste of life at Barnard was special this past July. The amazing President Debora Spar whose goal is to get more underrepresented and financially struggling students into Barnard is inspiring for me personally. Dean Avis Hinkson is amazing as well.

Video Link

Quote:
"Within the rectilinear boundaries of 114th Street and 120th Street, of Broadway and Morningside Drive, there is a peaceful oasis of the life of the mind, defiantly independent of the surrounding marketplace racket of Manhattan. The best things of the moment were outside the rectangle of Columbia; the best things of all human history and thought were inside. If only you had the sense, you could spend four years in an unforgettably exciting and improving alternation between two realms of magic. That doubled magic is lasting me a lifetime. All my writings such as they are trace back in once sense or another to my four years at Columbia."

Herman Wouk

Video Link

MY PICTURES

"STAND, COLUMBIA! ALMA MATER"

Last edited by THE BIG APPLE; Sep 23, 2014 at 6:01 AM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 6:08 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Barnard College also celebrated its 125th Anniversary last week.

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 6:36 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 6:43 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 6:52 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Last edited by THE BIG APPLE; Nov 25, 2014 at 9:00 AM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 6:57 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 7:03 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 7:05 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 7:11 AM
Khurram Parvaz

I had the privilege and honor of visiting Columbia School of Nursing, and was I amazed. From the technology to the hardworking present and future doctors/nurses, the whole campus is a microcosm of the future of health and medicine. The Columbia School of Nursing comprises the Washington Heights campus of Columbia University Medical Center.

Last edited by THE BIG APPLE; Sep 23, 2014 at 10:36 AM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 7:26 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 10:00 AM

Alright go Columbia!

I went to teachers college from 08-10 and it was the best two years of my life. That part of Harlem was a little out of the way but you always still had that feeling you were in the thick of NY whenever at school. So much talent in that place, and NY as a whole.

I remember when my friend graduated a year before me, we got all together, filled our backpacks up with about twenty 20-oz bottles of coke with whiskey and went on a long drunken parade starting from the main gate, going through Manhattan ending up past the Brooklyn bridge.

Good times man.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 10:07 AM
Khurram Parvaz

^Wow. I walked from Columbia University, 8 miles south (through Broadway, through Central Park, through Times Square) all the way to the Empire State Building. Then I hopped on a train and went home. I mostly refilled my bottles of water at Central Park and had slippers on. It was one of those TO DO things on my bucket list, and it was the most gratifying and chronically happy things I ever did. I will definitely do it again some other time (perhaps all the way (home) to Brooklyn this time, like you).

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 1:42 PM

I gotta admit, we cheated a little and got a train from 116th to 72nd street so we could start a little more in the thick of things.

Another funny story was at my graduation. It's good you posted a photo of how all of the different schools and disciplines have their proper sections and seating arrangements for graduation. At the graduation, they call on each of the schools to stand up and bask in the praise and applause they earned for graduating. Each school got up and was warmly cheered for a minute or so. School of law *applause* Teachers College *applause* School of social work *applause.*

And when they called out the business school, everyone, including the parents and family in the back lawn released the loudest boos i've heard outside of a sporting event. Nothing but boos and jeers hahaha

Mind you, this was in 2010 just a year and a half after the financial crises with all the bad news coming out about the banks and what not.

The bankers always get the last laugh but that one felt good that day.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 10:22 PM
Khurram Parvaz

New York Architect Picked to Lead Columbia University Architecture School

NY Times

Quote:
Amale Andraos, a New York architect who was born in Beirut and has practiced in Montreal, Paris and Rotterdam, has been selected as the 13th dean of the Graduate School of Architecture, Preservation and Planning, the university announced Tuesday.

Ms. Andraos, 41, who has been teaching at the school since 2011, is the first woman to hold the post.

She has also taught at Harvard, the University of Pennsylvania and the American University in Beirut and operates the design firm WorkAC on the Lower East Side with her husband, Dan Wood. The couple met while working for Rem Koolhaas in Rotterdam and eventually opened his New York office before starting their own business in 2002.

“The university is very focused on global questions and global issues, and Amale’s background sort of bespeaks globalization,” Lee Bollinger, the university president, said in an interview. “It’s not a theory or buzz word, it’s who she is, and that’s very important.”

As architects, Ms. Andraos and her husband designed the crystalline Diane von Furstenberg headquarters near the High Line and a new library in Kew Gardens Hills, Queens, as well as projects in Lagos, Nigeria and Shenzhen, China. In 2008, WorkAC transformed the courtyard of the P.S. 1 museum in Long Island City into an urban farm for the annual summer architecture pavilion program.

Ms. Andraos intends to emphasize sustainability at Columbia, she said, fusing it with what she called the design school’s progressive and experimental approach to architecture and planning.

“How do we build, at what scale do we build, does it even make sense to build? These are the questions I want every student to be asking,” Ms. Andraos said. “We must be thinking about what the impacts will be.”

Ms. Andraos, who succeeds Mark Wigley, is an accidental dean of sorts. She had been selected to the search committee for a new dean but was not on the short list of candidates. But after watching her work on the committee, Mr. Bollinger said, “we realized our next dean was sitting right in front of us.”

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 10:39 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Last edited by THE BIG APPLE; Nov 25, 2014 at 9:06 AM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 10:42 AM
Khurram Parvaz

SEAS Kicks Off Yearlong 150th Celebration

columbia.edu

Jan. 24, 2014

Quote:
On Sunday night, February 16, the Engineering Student Council (ESC) and Engineering Graduate Student Council held a dinner for more than 400 in a packed Roone Arledge Auditorium. ESC President Siddhant Bhatt ’14 welcomed everyone and introduced Dean Mary C. Boyce, who gave a presentation on the exciting research that’s come out of the School over the past 150 years and screened a video to mark the sesquicentennial. Columbia Engineering Young Alumni President Whitney Green BS’10, noted that “if you take a good look at our past and current research achievements in the global issues of mechanical developments, computing, robotics, agriculture, health, smart cities, energy, the environment, data science, and more, you’ll see just how far we students, faculty, and alumni can reach and the amazing impact we’ve had on the world. Now, imagine what we will do for society in the next 150 years!”

After the dinner, students went out to view the beautiful 150th light display illuminating Low Library for the rest of the week.

"This was a great night,” says Bhatt. “We should all take a moment this week to look at the decorated Low Library and see Columbia Engineering under the spotlight, and remember what we are all a part of. We are important members of this community and let’s celebrate that!”

Several other events are scheduled this week—which is National Engineers Week (an annual event now known as DiscoverE Week)—including the Archimedes Society Dinner and a talk by Robert McCaughey, professor of history at Barnard College and author of the forthcoming book, A Lever Long Enough: A History of Columbia’s School of Engineering and Applied Science Since 1864; and a SEAS networking event on Wednesday, February 19, for students and alumni, co-hosted by the Center for Career Education and Society of Women Engineers. (To see photos from Columbia's DiscoverE Week events, visit the Engineering Student Council's Facebook page.)

On Monday, February 24, the School is hosting Engineering Icons: A Conversation with Mike Massimino BS’84, an evening open to the Columbia community that features a screening of the documentary, Hubble 3D, at Lincoln Square IMAX and a conversation with Dean Boyce and Massimino. Massimino, currently a visiting professor in the mechanical engineering department, was the NASA astronaut charged with fixing the Hubble space telescope and is featured in the film. To attend the screening, please register here.

Throughout the year, the School will host more than 30 events for faculty, students, and alumni, all with a sesquicentennial theme. These include the Columbia Engineering Young Alumni Blue and White Gala on March 29; Reunion Weekend, from May 29 through May 31; the International Parents Dinner in August, Homecoming in October, and many more.

On May 8, the School will hold a special Senior Design Day Expo to showcase innovative design projects by seniors. This event, which will take place in Roone Arledge Auditorium, will provide an opportunity for the larger Columbia community to celebrate the creative and innovative work of the School’s students.

Two major highlights of the anniversary year are planned for November. The first is “SEAS 150 Symposium,” which will be held on the afternoon of Friday, November 14. The symposium will feature presentations in a mini-TEDx format given by faculty and graduate students that directly link the research that took place early in the School’s history to research now being performed by current faculty.

To cap the anniversary year, the School will host a Founders Day Gala on the evening of Saturday, November 15, in the Cathedral of St. John the Divine. The Gala will include a cocktail reception and dinner, with remarks by Dean Boyce and additional speakers, as well as a video of the School’s history and milestones. This date marks the exact day in 1864 when the School first opened its doors, with 20 students and 3 teachers. In the ensuing 150 years, Columbia Engineering has grown to accommodate more than 4,300 undergraduate and graduate students and 175 faculty members.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 5:34 PM

Here's a PBS documentary on Columbia:

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365328456/

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 8:10 PM
Khurram Parvaz

The president of Barnard College states her opinion on post Baby Boomer (Post WWII) women in America seemingly reaching implausibility in wanting perfection.

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 8:13 PM
Khurram Parvaz

Here's a PBS documentary on Barnard College

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 10:43 PM
Khurram Parvaz

Given the location of both Columbia University and Barnard College, both of which are at the precipice of Broadway, HERE'S MY FAVORITE SONG that always reminds me of both schools.

Video Link

Quote:
They say the neon lights are bright on Broadway (on Broadway)
They say there's always magic in the air (on Broadway)
But when you're walkin' down that street
And you ain't had enough to eat
The glitter rubs right off and you're nowhere (on Broadway)

They say the girls are something else on Broadway (on Broadway)
But looking at them just gives me the blues (on Broadway)
'Cause how ya gonna make some time
When all you got is one thin dime?
And one thin dime won't even shine your shoes (on Broadway)

Ha! They say that I won't last too long on Broadway (on Broadway)
I'll catch a Greyhound bus for home, they all say (on Broadway)
But oh! They're dead wrong, I know they are
'Cause I can play this here guitar
And I won't quit till I'm a star on Broadway (on Broadway)

Oh, they're dead wrong, I know they are
'Cause I can play this here guitar
And I won't quit till I'm a star on Broadway (on Broadway)
On Broadway (on Broadway)
I'm gonna make it, yeah (on Broadway)
I'll be a big, big, big man (on Broadway)
I'll have my name in lights (on Broadway)
Everybody, everybody's gonna know me, yes (on Broadway)
All up and down Broadway (on Broadway)
Ohhhhh yeah! (on Broadway)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture