HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 7:39 PM
BANNED

Is Canada in a new era?

With rescent news events, the dollar dropping below 85 cents. etc.

Do you think were starting a new era in Canadian history.

For some strange reason I get the feeling things are about to change.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 7:45 PM

The dollar is hovering around 89 cents and Canada is constantly changing. Care to focus your thought?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 7:47 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I'm just so glad there's another Newfoundlander who turns every thought into a thread to take the spotlight off me.

I don't know if it's a new era, really. It could be, if the Harper government passes what it's proposing.

From our "What should Canada do now?" thread in the St. John's section:

Quote:
Originally Posted by delesseps View Post
Firstly, there should be no new legislation. The changes the Harper government has announced were planned before this week. They include allowing CSIS to spy on Canadian citizens who are outside of Canada, including Canadians resident in another country, allowing CSIS to conceal the identities of its sources from Canadian courts, and making it easier to detain people for extended periods of time without charge. The changes are bad for our privacy and our criminal justice system and should be resisted.

Secondly, there should be no visible changes in security. Better training on situational awareness for peace officers, security guards, and at-risk workers could be helpful, but installing metal detectors or increasing the number of armed guards in public buildings will NOT deter an attack by a lone nutter. An increase in visible security in one location would simply cause a would-be attacker to change his target. Instead of attacking people in a government building, for example, a lone shooter could target people at a bus stop or cafe used by government staffers. There will always be somewhere crowded that can't be protected.

Thirdly, it needs to be more difficult to obtain firearms and ammunition. Thanks to the abolition of the long gun registry, we'll never know where Zehaf-Bibeau's gun came from, but we do know he was neither eligible for nor carrying a possession and acquisition license (PAL). It's impossible to buy ammunition legally without a PAL, so the availability of ammunition to people without one is a failure of law enforcement. Better efforts need to be made to locate ammunition being smuggled into Canada, monitor the loss of legal ammunition from the supply chain, and identify and charge people who are selling or distributing ammunition illegally. I know that reviving the long gun registry is a political impossibility, but without it there's no way track the circumstances in which law-abiding gun owners are parted from their firearms. That makes enforcing laws related to the possession of long guns extremely difficult.

Finally, I'll link to an article about the police use of firearms. (Please ignore the silly bit at the end about uniforms.) Shooting someone who's brandishing a knife at a safe distance, as happened in Quebec, is NOT acceptable police work. Unarmed policing with access to armed backup works, and it helps keep both officers and suspects alive. The RCMP has a terrible history of sending officers with sidearms into harm's way alone or in small groups, putting the officers at risk even if there is no immediate danger to the public. The Mayerthorpe tragedy is one example of this, and the Moncton shooter exploited the MO to kill Mounties one at a time. We should think long and hard about the circumstances where peace officers are issued firearms, and ensure they have adequate training in the use of less lethal weapons such as batons and cs spray. Officers guarding specific people and places, executing search warrants, or looking for a known violent offender should probably carry sidearms, for example, but there's no reason a shotgun in the trunk shouldn't be adequate for an officer on traffic duty.

http://theindependent.ca/2014/10/22/...he-university/
So, I agree. It could potentially be a different era if we don't get some left-wingers in power soon.

And there's definitely a... you know my politics. My first gut reaction when I heard the news was, "Aww fuck... I can't believe this happened to them." But the past few days, Rex Murphy's response, the Afghan memorial in St. John's... it's created a bit more of a "we". So that's different for me, at least.

I think, though, we're entering a critical period. Nothing has changed yet, but it could, significantly, and for the worse, if we're not careful. The U.S. is a bit of an outlier in the developed world in many things, from domestic surveillance to healthcare. Normal there is absolutely terrifying in much of the developed world.

But they're Canada's closest influence. Some conservative in Ottawa is going to be looking south with some admiration. And that terrifies me. It's fine in the States, where each state has more rights and places like Vermont can exist in the same union as places like Mississippi. But Canada tends to behave, to my dismay, as more of a nation state, and Ottawa expects FAR more influence over St. John's than Washington would.

So little lurches to the right on the mainland are more damaging here.

So all of that worries me, yes.

But definitely no new era yet. Just the potential for one.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 7:54 PM
Community Guy

No

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 7:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
The dollar is hovering around 89 cents and Canada is constantly changing. Care to focus your thought?
The events in ottawa are the obvious example, however I'm afraid if I mention them directly this thread will fast become hijacked.

Anyways that's just one very direct example.

The resent collapse of the Bloc is also very high on the list,(again don't want this high jacking the thread)

The replacing of Rob Ford, not a Canada wide issue, but it was an issue that made Canada world renown.

Death of Farley mowat last may.

There's a bunch more but i'd like others to sugguest some.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 8:10 PM

Canada entered a new era ~2005 when commodity prices went up

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 8:12 PM
ARTchitecture

Along with the rest of the world entering a new era, yes.

Canadian-specific examples are the dominance of conservatives over the past 8 years or however long it's been, the accelerated economic and political rise of the west, around 25% of the population being of foreign birth, increased overseas military engagement, resurgence of a resource-based economy (for the time being), collapse of voter turnout rates, drastic increases in the costs of labour and goods, etc.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 8:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Along with the rest of the world entering a new era, yes.

Canadian-specific examples are the dominance of conservatives over the past 8 years or however long it's been, the accelerated economic and political rise of the west, around 25% of the population being of foreign birth, increased overseas military engagement, resurgence of a resource-based economy (for the time being), collapse of voter turnout rates, drastic increases in the costs of labour and goods, etc.
I feel like most of what you post defined the previous era.

I think alot of what you mention now is taken for granted.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 8:17 PM

Not Canada, but the entire world is changing. Within 20 years, the oil economy will disappear. The US, now oil independant, will be able to make the transition easier. They know what's coming.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 8:23 PM

No this is not a new era, life here will continue as it has, there will just be more security in the next few years until this whole ISIS thing blows over. I'm not changing a damn thing in my life and I recommend everyone else just continues on with their life.

The only thing I could see different will be the amount of exposure that Canada gets in the media, and that still probably won't be much.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 9:24 PM

Gosh! and just for a second I was proud that we Canadian weren't going to sensationalize what happened in Ottawa 2 days ago.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashok View Post
Gosh! and just for a second I was proud that we Canadian weren't going to sensationalize what happened in Ottawa 2 days ago.
Agreed.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 9:33 PM

The great thing about a debate like this is that the word 'era' in this context is such a weakly defined and vague non-word that everyone can disagree and still be right. Its not like we're in the middle of a revolution, but best-of albums will keep coming out every decade.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
Not Canada, but the entire world is changing. Within 20 years, the oil economy will disappear. The US, now oil independant, will be able to make the transition easier. They know what's coming.
The US is a long ways from oil independence. It still imports around 1/3, similar to where it was in the late 80's when the North Slope was at peak production.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 1:54 AM

Canada began an entire new "era" in 1990 with the establishment of the BLOC.

Quebec {with Ontario} was always a very politically powerful province that pretty much got it's own way regardless of the effect on the rest of the country. Quebec was Canada's "spoiled child" of confederation due to the non-stop threats of independence and Montreal once being the political and economic capitol of the country. My how things have changed.

Quebec held it's 2 referendums and both showed, despite the threats, that Quebecers have no stomach for the unknown consequences of independence. Also English Canada has become much more sure of it's identity and culture and are far less concerned about Quebec independence. Remember the massive rally in Montreal with the huge Canadian flag at the last referendum..................that would never happen now.

Then you have the BLOC which has devastated the Liberal powerbase in Quebec. Quebecers other source of power is that they voted en masse. The Liberals nearly always got every single seat in Quebec and with their sizeable support in Atlantic Canada and Ontario, the election results were in before the West even finished voting.

The threat of separation, and Quebecers voting as a bloc is what gave Quebec it's disproportionate power. Now both those things are gone and Quebec has never been so politically impotent on the national stage than it is today. It is the West that has benefitted most from this due to their Conservative base.

Unless Quebec goes back to voting en masse for the Liberals like they use to, the Conservative Party may become the "natural governing party" of Canada like the Liberals were in the 20th century.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 2:43 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Nah, the era of my supreme rule is still a few years off. Unless I get the time machine working.

As for Quebec having to vote Liberal to unthrone the Tories, the most recent seat projection I saw put the Conservatives in 3rd (support wise they were a little ahead of the NDP, but the strength of NDP support in Quebec outdid Tory efficiency).

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
... the Conservative Party may become the "natural governing party" of Canada like the Liberals were in the 20th century.
Someone hasn't been paying much attention to the polls for a while

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 2:59 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

The question is a bit vague and disingenuous. This could be a turning point for how the government exercises it's power in the country, but it's not likely to happen just based on one or two isolated incidents. It would take more than that, so if these types of events do continue we will see more drastic changes. We haven't really entered a new era any more than the rest of the world. We are affected by events globally more now than ever before, and no matter what political party is in power, there won't be much difference.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 4:28 AM

Polls go up and down and elections go from one party to another.

That doesn't change the fact that over the longer term view, the Liberals have lost their most reliable province. That means that support has to come from somewhere and the West is too conservative to vote for Liberals in a significant way.

Also due to Quebec's plunging political power and the division of the Canadian Left by 4 parties, the Conservatives may never get the majority vote but could end up taking most of the election wins due to our first-past-the-post system.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Polls go up and down and elections go from one party to another.

That doesn't change the fact that over the longer term view, the Liberals have lost their most reliable province. That means that support has to come from somewhere and the West is too conservative to vote for Liberals in a significant way.

Also due to Quebec's plunging political power and the division of the Canadian Left by 4 parties, the Conservatives may never get the majority vote but could end up taking most of the election wins due to our first-past-the-post system.
Well, looks like it's time for me to leave.

Another conservative mandate is too much for me to stomach.

I'm thinking New Zealand or Australia.

Too bad to, I loved Canada, but I see it's now dead.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada