HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 4:31 AM
Sonoma Strong

Wooden Skyscrapers

I've recently become intrigued by the idea of wooden skyscrapers...

What do you guys think?

Quote:
Reaching to the Sky — With Wooden Skyscrapers

Look, up in the sky. It’s a bird. It’s a plane. No, it’s a skyscraper that’s made of … wood.

In a head-spinning step, a handful of researchers from Cambridge, England, are experimenting with one of man’s oldest building materials — the kind from trees — instead of steel as the primary structure for buildings. Already, there is one timber apartment building with nine stories in London, a 10-story structure in Melbourne and a 14-story building in Norway. But all that is dwarfed by talk of a wooden building that someday could reach 70 stories into the sky.

Architectural engineers behind the idea, which has recently been gaining momentum, say they are looking for cheaper and more environmentally friendly materials to use than steel and concrete. Those materials have dominated tall buildings since the early part of the 20th century. But relying on timber takes some doing; for it to succeed, it will require not just great architectural skills but the expertise of biochemists.

It doesn’t take a degree in architecture, of course, to know that wood has long been criticized for being too weak for high rises — not to mention a towering inferno just waiting to ignite. Indeed, builders have been far more likely to opt for steel for both medium- and large-scale structures.

Yet environmentalists have long argued that the construction world needs to urgently become greener. For years, the creation of homes, offices and skyscrapers has been one of the biggest contributors to climate change. All told, these activities lead to nearly half of the U.S. global CO2 emissions. By 2050, the U.N. estimates that nearly 80 percent of the world will live in urban areas, adding up to a lot of planet-damning construction unless something changes — and soon.

Scientists are making inroads by studying the molecular level of certain building materials, including wood and concrete. Cambridge University, for one, has set its sights set on creating that 70-story skyscraper made out of timber. For now, it’s in the design stage, but by better understanding the molecular and cellular structure of wood, professor Michael Ramage and his team from the university’s department of architecture say they are certain they can strengthen the material by bolstering its weakest links — where the giant timber slabs connect at walls and floors.

The world’s tallest timber residential tower (10 stories) in Melbourne, Australia
SOURCE Lend Lease

“I think there’s quite a lot to be gained from looking at the smallest level of building blocks and working upwards,” says Ramage.

To accomplish this, they will need to deconstruct how plants get their strength from the rigid cellulose wall surrounding each cell. Another part of the team stems from Cambridge University’s department of biochemistry, where professor Paul Dupree is taking what he’s learned with biofuels to apply to this project. Translation: They’re genetically engineering stronger plants and unlocking the potential for (sun-fed, sustainable) wood.

Ramage and his researchers are also working to strengthen existing plant materials by impregnating them with polymers. Already, the team has had enough success in modifying spruce and willow to net a five-year, $2.8 million grant for further research and attract commercial interest in their work.

Surprisingly, wooden skyscrapers aren’t as prone to fire as one might think. While small homes go up like kindling, “massive timber buildings are not flammable,” Ramage says, because the timber burns and chars on the outside just enough to provide a good insulator that protects the rest. “Looked after properly, wood can be just as sturdy as brick and is more resilient,” he adds....

Author
Tracy Moran
Follow @tracymoran
http://www.ozy.com/fast-forward/reac...tm_campaign=pp

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 8:13 PM

What happens when there's a fire?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 11:48 PM

There is a highrise-like telecommunication tower on the mountain "Grosser Feldberg", whose upper floors consist of woods - without using metallic parts - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feldber...us_transmitter and http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=41551

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 3:28 AM
The Vomit Bag.

I am all for being green, but there is no way in hell I would live in a wooden skyscraper.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 1:18 AM
Administrator

^I think we could see it more for non-load bearing interior walls and such. And flooring... But as structural members, I don't see it being extended to include tall buildings any time soon. Maybe some locales will let builders go over 5 floors with wood, but probably not full blown skyscrapers.

There's a lot to be done with wood if they work on it though. One of my first projects in college involved impregnating wood with epoxy to make it stronger. I ultimately won a little balsa structure building project, using my epoxy soaked balsa. A 4.3 gram structure held 32,000+ grams 8 inches above ground level.

I got the idea from when I used to race RC cars with a friend. The hobby shops we frequented also did model airplanes, and some of the guys I went back and talked to in that circle were old aerospace guys who told me to check out certain epoxies, and use it to totally soak my wood, not just glue corners together. I figured out the shape of my structure and how to build it plumb on my own. But the key was them telling me about using epoxy and to impregnate everything with it , not just glue the pieces together.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture