HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 11:33 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Smile NEW YORK | 110 University Place | 308 FT | 23 FLOORS

University Place and Broadway in the crosshairs

Billy Macklowe’s plan for a 23-story tower at the old Bowlmor site, above, is spurring protection efforts for the area, including rezoning and landmarking.

Quote:
Imagine a young developer from a big New York real estate family wants to make a name for himself. He decides to do so by developing a luxury high-rise tower in the heart of Greenwich Village that will be one of the tallest, if not the tallest, structures ever erected in the historically low-rise neighborhood.

Now imagine that there were no landmark protections to prevent him from building this tower, and that the zoning actually encouraged this kind of development: There were no height limits, which made it easy to build a tall, narrow tower on a large plot of land, requiring no public approvals or review whatsoever.

Unfortunately, this awful scenario is no fantasy; this is exactly what is set to happen at 110 University Place at 12th St., where the Bowlmor Lanes has stood for decades. Billy Macklowe, scion of Harry Macklowe, is demolishing the existing structure and plans to erect a 23-story, 308-foot-tall residential tower in its place — about the height of the concrete-sheathed 30-story N.Y.U. Silver Towers.

Unlike most of Greenwich Village, this site has no landmark protections — much like almost all of University Place and the blocks extending east to Broadway, and west to Fifth Ave. along 12th St. and to the north. And the current zoning, which dates from 1961, encourages tall towers on large development sites, and grants zoning bonuses for including things like plazas and university facilities.

[...]
================================
November 20, 2014
http://thevillager.com/2014/11/20/un...he-crosshairs/

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 11:54 PM
BANNED

I think that 30 stories is too tall for the area, but I welcome a limestone tower and the imminent demolition of Bowlmore, which is a dump.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 3:03 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 7:05 PM
N40° 46.8925', W073° 57.3

TBH, this tower is a wee bit too tall for me in this area. Shave off a 125' and call it a day imo.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 8:16 PM
Show me the blueprints

This design sucks. That's what I care about.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 9:16 PM
N40° 46.8925', W073° 57.3

^^For me, the design appears to be decent and at least it won’t be glassy. Not every project needs to have a wow factor, but rather to just fit in.

I think the look and feel from that drawing appears contextual the neighborhood but it’s the height that bugs me. Being that I grew up there, I just have mixed feelings.

Anyways, it’s odd to say it especially being that it is in Manhattan, but that strip on University place from 14th street to Washington Square at least to me gave me a small town “Main Street” vibe therefore imo, a taller tower thrown into that street would ruin it for me.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 9:55 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The design looks like a good candidate for brick. With the right treatment, it may turn out nice if the schematics are anything to go by. What its replacing will make anything worth it. I'm sure it will turn out nice.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 1:39 AM
Homo sapiens sapiens

I wish the base podium was four or five stories, at least.

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 1:53 PM

Construction update: Excavation underway for Annabelle Selldorf’s Bowlmor Lanes-repla

Construction update: Excavation underway for Annabelle Selldorf’s Bowlmor Lanes-replacing condos
Oct 12, 2016

Quote:
William Macklowe Company’s 22-story 21 East 12th Street (21E12) is poised to become the tallest ground-up condominium building in Greenwich Village upon completion in 2018. The development at the southwest corner of University Place and East 12th Street replaces the Bowlmor Lanes garage building, which, due to its height and incongruent massing, ruffled the feathers of watchful neighbors and community organizations. Nevertheless, the squat, five-story structure has been razed, and site excavation is well underway for New York’s maiden of modernism, Annabelle Selldorf‘s, square, cast-stone tower.

for more info:https://www.6sqft.com/construction-u...placing-condos

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 2:52 PM

This may sound extreme, but this might be my least favorite project in the city. The parking, the step back from the street wall, and the design looks like a 1980s airport hotel, all in beautiful part of the city. Such a shame.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
This may sound extreme, but this might be my least favorite project in the city. The parking, the step back from the street wall, and the design looks like a 1980s airport hotel, all in beautiful part of the city. Such a shame.
It's a 100% limestone building, designed by a starchitect. I assume it will look pretty good upon completion.

And there's no parking and no step back from the city wall. It aligns 100% with the streetwall, and parking isn't allowed, unless they wish to apply for a BSA variance, which would require community review and which would probably only allow a few private spaces for residents.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 11:25 PM

Wow that is not a very good rendering. I dearly hope that it ends up looking better in person.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 2:38 PM

It has a parking garage, and after the first two floors sets back which is what I was referring to. Just hard to believe Annabelle Selldorf designed this tower on a retail podium.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 2:50 PM

^ Didn't need Anna Selldorf to do that. Gene Kaufman or any number of hacks could have done that easily.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 12:21 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Under Construction

Credit: toddbustard

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 1:51 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Under Construction, the sequel...

Credit: Tectonic

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 6:42 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

22-Story, 52-Unit Mixed-Use Building Up to Street Level at 21 East 12th Street, Greenwich Village

Quote:
Construction has reached street level on the 22-story, 52-unit mixed-use building under development at 21 East 12th Street, located on the corner of University Place in Greenwich Village. The latest building permits indicate the project will encompass 122,272 square feet and rise 269 feet to its rooftop. YIMBY has photos of the latest progress.

The project will feature 52 condominium units averaging 2,076 square feet apiece. The apartments will range from one- to four-bedrooms, in addition to townhouse-style units and penthouses. Ground-floor retail space will total 13,075 square feet. A 1,050-square-foot community facility will also be located on the ground floor.

William Macklowe Company and Goldman Sachs are the developers. Annabelle Selldorf’s New York-based firm is the design architect and SLCE Architects is the executive architect. Completion is expected in 2018.
========================
NYY

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 12:17 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: Tectonic

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 4:02 PM

instead of cozy brick & limestone . .
on a quirky posh Greenwich Village residential building . .
we get a dead modern freeway-mall box, on a podium . .
wondering "why did they put me here?" . .
same question asked by Fumihiko Maki's glass office building at Astor Place . .
developers please, some respect for intimate Greenwich Village "contextual" vibes . .
and even a mere smidgeon of imagination . .

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 4:53 AM

I'm sure Selldorf came up with something more attractive than this, but Macklowe the schmuck was looking for something like 432 Park ave.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive