HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 8:47 PM

Rochester, NY: Susan B. Anthony

Susan B. Anthony is a neighborhood named after its most prominent resident, the suffragist Susan Brownell Anthony. The neighborhood is located west of Downtown and bounded by I-490 or Broad Street to the north and east, Main Street to the south, and Jefferson Avenue to the west.

The neighborhood is one of the oldest residential areas in Rochester, and is linked with Rochester's transportation history. The Erie Canal was built through Rochester in 1823, helping fuel Rochester's status as a boomtown. The Genesee Valley Canal was constructed through the middle of the neighborhood, and featured a turning basin at its northern terminus near Canal Street. The Rochester & State Line Railroad went through the northern part of the neighborhood, bringing coal from western Pennsylvania. This railroad later became part of the Buffalo, Rochester & Pittsburgh Railway.

The dominant business in the neighborhood, besides any form of transportation going to or through the area, was the Cunningham Carriage Works. The company was formed in 1838 as the Kerr, Cunningham & Company. The carriage manufacturer, now James Cunningham & Company, built a factory along Canal Street in 1848, and manufactured high-end carriages into the 20th century. Cunningham, Son & Company began producing cars in 1908, and manufactured automobiles until 1931.

Today, the neighborhood is slowly bouncing back from being forgotten, with tidy brick houses from the 1800s available, infill being built on former industrial land, and some old factory buildings slated for conversion into lofts.

The Susan B. Anthony House, on Madison Street. The house was built in 1866. Anthony lived in the house with her sister from 1891 until her death in 1906. She was arrested here for voting in the 1872 Presidential Election.

Houses on Madison Street, with the Susan B. Anthony House on the right.

The house next door houses the museum, and provides entrance into the Anthony House.

Houses on Madison Street, including the Anthony House and Muesum.

Houses on Madison Street.

Houses on Madison Street. The house on the left dates to 1857.

Houses on Madison Street. The house on the left was built in 1852.

The other house on Madison Street, at Madison Park, was built in 1850.

Houses on Madison Street, across from Madison Park. These houses, other than the purple house on the left, were built in the 1880s.

"Let's Have Tea", a statue in Madison Park. The statue was dedicated in 2002, and depicts abolitionist Frederick Douglass, who operated a newspaper here, with suffragist and native daughter Susan B. Anthony. Madison Park, originally named Mechanics Park in anticipation of working class homeowners living around the square, was laid out in 1839 and redesigned in the early 1900s by Frederick Law Olmsted.

Rowhouses on Madison Park.

Houses on King Street. The house on the right dates to 1850.

A house on King Street.

Houses on King Street. The house on the left was built in 1892.

Buildings on Main Street.

Buildings on Main Street.

A view of Downtown from Main Street.

The Renfrew Block, on Main Street. The structure was built in 1884.

Businesses on Main Street.

The Genesee Valley Canal crossed through the neighborhood between 1840 and 1878, and provided a connection between the Erie Canal and the Allegheny River, ultimately giving Rochester a direct connection to the Mississippi River system. This marker along Main Street between Trowbridge Street and Canal Street outlines the western shore of the narrow canal.

A lumber company on Trowridge Street.

A former Cunningham, Son & Company warehouse on Litchfield Street.

Cunningham, Son & Company buidings on Canal Street. The structure on the left was a factory dating to 1900, where Cunningham carriages, and later Cunningham automobiles, were built. On the right is the Cunningham office building, constructed in 1910.

More Cunningham buildings on Canal Street. The structure on the left was built in 1892, and the factory on the right was built in 1920.

The Buffalo, Rochester, & Pittsburgh Railway Station, on Main Street. The railroad terminal was built in 1877 for the Rochester & State Line Railroad. It is now the home of Nick Tahou's Hots, home of the Garbage Plate, Rochester's signature food item.

As you walk or drive along Main Street east under I-490, you continue through more industrial areas before you enter Downtown. The Kodak Tower, built in 1914 in the High Falls neighborhood, can be seen at the angle in Cascade Drive.

Old industrial buildings along Cascade Drive. In the center is the Knowlton Building, built in 1895 as a box factory.

The former Buffalo, Rochester, & Pittsburgh Railway Company Office Building, on Main Street at Washington Street. The structure was built in 1898.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2014, 8:36 AM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Susan B. Anthony neighbourhood is very pretty. I was wishing to see some pictures about Rochester, NY. Thanks for sharing, xzmattzx.

The historic houses are beautiful. Enjoyed the tour, of course. What a nice city to live in!

Merry Christmas and greetings from Madrid, Spain.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 7:06 PM

Thanks for the response. It appears that the days leading up to Christmas Eve and Christmas Day are not the best to put pictures up!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2015, 10:54 AM

Really cool neighbourhood and history - beautiful buildings.

It's interesting- Trowbridge is a town a few miles from where I live-I wonder if there's any connection between that and Trowbridge Street?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2015, 2:54 PM

Terrific pictures and commentary.

That's a cool shot of Kodak Tower viewed from between the row of buildings.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2015, 6:49 PM

When I saw Rochester from the train, I thought to myself that I might want to visit there. Now I know for sure that I do.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2015, 7:17 PM
Paradise Island

Nice pictures of Rochester. When I was growing up in Upstate NY, Rochester was always considered the most cultural and dynamic of the upstate cities. My sister lives there but I have never had a chance to spend a lot of time in the city proper on my visits.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2015, 7:54 PM

William T. Grape House. Mr, Grape was a principle in the Cutler Bros. Co (Mail slot inventors). Grape street just north of King Street is named after Mr. Grape. Mr. Grape designed the house to serve his disabled daughters needs. In the 20's the house became a speakeasy and was fortified. All the Victorian features were removed from the interior in the 1980's and moved to a cottage on Canandaigua Lake.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2015, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcamb View Post
William T. Grape House. Mr, Grape was a principle in the Cutler Bros. Co (Mail slot inventors). Grape street just north of King Street is named after Mr. Grape. Mr. Grape designed the house to serve his disabled daughters needs. In the 20's the house became a speakeasy and was fortified. All the Victorian features were removed from the interior in the 1980's and moved to a cottage on Canandaigua Lake.
Thanks for the information. I couldn't find any info on the place, even though I was standing in front of it, so it's nice to read about it a little more.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2015, 10:03 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Neat!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos