HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 26, 2014, 4:33 PM
Greetings from New Jersey

Greater Newark-Elizabeth Metro | Redevelopment , Transit , and Misc Projects

In Recent years the Greater Newark & Elizabeth Metros have seen a surge in Urban revitalization and redevelopment projects big and small. Every Week there is a New Project that is announced or begins construction. Projects range from fixing up old historic buildings for residential use to opening a new restaurant on an abandoned lot to high rises and mixed use TOD next to train stations. This thread will cover it all ,Redevelopment , New Restaurant openings , Historic building Renewals , Park Expansions and Investments , New Transit Projects and certain events.

Greater Newark Includes
: Bloomfield , Belleville , East Newark , Kearny , East Orange , Orange , West Orange , South Orange , Montclair , & Irvington
Greater Elizabeth Includes : Hillside , Union , Cranford , Linden , Rahway , Roselle , & Westfield

Quote:
The Ironbound - Newark

Mixed Use on Polk Street

New Mixed Use Redevelopent in The Ironbound - Newark,New Jersey
by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

The New Oliver Street School

Oliver Street School Construction in The Ironbound - Newark,New Jersey

Oliver Street School Construction in The Ironbound - Newark,New Jersey

New Apartments on Railroad Avenue

New Apartments on Bruen Street

http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

Old Posted Dec 26, 2014, 4:34 PM

Old Posted Dec 26, 2014, 4:34 PM

Old Posted Dec 26, 2014, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Recently opened Hotel Indigo in Downtown Newark

Source http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showth...l=1#post453169

Old Posted Dec 26, 2014, 6:37 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

great idea!

Elizabeth seems to have some new infill as well recently, judging from what I see from the train. About time.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2014, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Newark SOMA

Downtown Newark 2025 , Phase 3

Plans for the first phase of the Richard Meier-designed Teachers Village in Newark have been closing in on completion, but it appears that something slightly larger is on the horizon, in the form of SoMA Newark. RBH Group, which is the firm behind the Meier project, has posted new renderings of their greater plan, and — assuming the scheme is actually built — the collective change will result in the complete rebirth of the city.

Teachers Village residential district

The SoMA scheme would boost Newark’s vertical profile significantly, and looks to include at least one potential ‘supertall’ standing over 1,000 feet. Altogether, the plan would add three major office towers, in addition to several slender residential skyscrapers. Collectively, the high-rises could even push Downtown Newark’s height past Jersey City and Downtown Brooklyn — though the apparent goal of a 2025 completion date leaves room for alterations before all aspects are constructed.
http://www.yimbynews.com/2014/04/rev...ma-newark.html

Phase 1 & 2 are nearly done. It appears the developer is slowly buying up lots and buildings for Phase 3 which could break by next summer.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2014, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
great idea!

Elizabeth seems to have some new infill as well recently, judging from what I see from the train. About time.
Yea , theres a few projects near the North Elizabeth station. Theres something big in the works for the old warehouse area next to the NEC. Downtown mainly has infill projects and the new Juvenile courthouse.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2014, 7:05 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Phase 1 & 2 are nearly done. It appears the developer is slowly buying up lots and buildings for Phase 3 which could break by next summer.
Wow so phase three is really happening? Great for Newark. I've said it for a long time, but this city is way overdue for some solid developments. Glad to see that this is moving forwards.

I use to park at the Warren Street parking deck when I went to RU Newark. Dam, I'm missing out on watching these developments rise. All of the little infill going on will make downtown better than it already is. A new tallest for Newark is in order.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2014, 2:00 PM

Old Posted Dec 27, 2014, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Newark reestablishing itself as heart of legal industry in N.J.

Howard Kailes heads the corporate practice group at McCarter & English. - (PHOTO BY AARON HOUSTON)
Law firms are on the rise again in Newark. It's a story not unlike that of its tallest skyscraper.

The National Newark Building once stood as something like a great lighthouse in how wayward attorneys were guided to it. In the late 1940s, according to the late Newark historian Nat Bodian, 80 percent of the 35-story 744 Broad St. building consisted of law firms.

Its status deteriorated with the crime-related decline of Newark in the 1990s. The law firms (and nearly everyone else) disembarked by the time it was purchased for $7.5 million in 1998, when the owner was reporting 80 percent vacancy.

But this building, which underwent a $68 million renovation in 2002 — attracting high-profile tenants, more than 20 law firms and an overall 80 percent occupancy rate in the process — well exemplifies Newark's larger revitalization.

Newark as a whole now has more than 50 Fortune 500 companies with a presence within its city limits; and at least Prudential Financial, PSE&G and Panasonic have firmly embedded themselves there.

Law firms — carried by the winds of those potential clients — are once again setting sail for Newark.

McElroy, Deutsch, Mulvaney & Carpenter, the biggest law firm in the state with around 200 New Jersey attorneys, joined a batch of practices (including Herrick, Feinstein LLP and Genova Burns Giantomasi Webster) that have sought to establish strong presences in Newark.

To that end, the Morristown-based McElroy Deutsch worked to integrate roughly 30 attorneys with strong Newark ties who were part of a firm that it merged with 10 years ago.

Nicole Alexander, director of professional and business development for the firm, said there are reasons besides the obvious — more affordable office space than Manhattan offers — that makes Newark appealing to law firms.

“It can't be omitted that Newark has really great public transportation options to other locations in and out of the city,” she said. “Plus, revitalization continues to be a buzzword in downtown Newark. It's sort of having a rebirth, making a centralized location there desirable.”

McCarter & English agreed.
http://www.njbiz.com/article/2014111...industry-in-NJ

Old Posted Dec 27, 2014, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Biotrails North America HQ in University Heights

http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showth...l=1#post452797

Old Posted Dec 27, 2014, 2:28 PM

Beer Garden is going up next to Dino BBQ on Market Street

Gap Factory Store on Market Street

Old Posted Dec 27, 2014, 2:32 PM

Video Link

I think Halsey Street in 10 years will rival Downtown Jersey City's restaurant Row...and its not just Halsey , Commerce , Market and Raymond are seeing a lot of new restaurants , cafes , and bars open up. Ferry Street already has a popular restaurant row.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2014, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Wow so phase three is really happening? Great for Newark. I've said it for a long time, but this city is way overdue for some solid developments. Glad to see that this is moving forwards.

I use to park at the Warren Street parking deck when I went to RU Newark. Dam, I'm missing out on watching these developments rise. All of the little infill going on will make downtown better than it already is. A new tallest for Newark is in order.
It appears to be , at least in smaller chunks. Phase 1 & 2 retail wise are leased out and apartment wise are nearly rented out.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Harrison

Remaining warehouses between Red Bull Arena and PATH/Northeast Corridor:

Lamp Works:

Russo Block C:

http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showth...l=1#post453228

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 5:30 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

^^ it's fantastic that those old factory buildings in Harrison are being repurposed. thanks for finding that info, I wonder about those structures each time I pass on the train.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 3:18 PM
life is good

Cool thread, that Indigo hotel looks great

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 4:08 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Newark sees influx of new developments

Quote:
Newark is booming with development. More than half a dozen projects have secured financing, broken ground or have been completed in the former industrial hub in the past year, according to the Wall Street Journal. Newark has about 280,000 residents.

One of the projects is RBH Group’s Four Corners Millennium Project, which is slated to include 705 residential units, a hotel as well as retail and office space, the newspaper reported. Dranoff Properties is planning a 22-story building with 245 units. Dranoff is expected to break ground this winter. More than 470 residential units received permits in Newark this year through October, which is more than double than the average over the last few years.

Newark was hit hard in the recession, which caused many projects to stall. Resuming development has been slower in Newark than in other towns, including nearby Hoboken and Jersey City.

“I think this moment is really a new beginning,” Baye Adofo-Wilson, the city’s economic and housing development director, told the newspaper.
========================
http://therealdeal.com/blog/2014/12/....OmqosQ7q.dpuf

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 5:04 PM

The Rendering is abit off , Four Corners is Broad & Market...and that looks taller then 22 stories..

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 5:07 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

That isn't Dranoff Properties' project; it's One Theater Square.

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations