HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 4:50 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Smile NEW YORK | 30 East 31st Street | 480 FT | 35 FLOORS

What will be replaced:

Info:

40-story condo replacing Madison Avenue Baptist Church parish house

Quote:
The historic Madison Avenue Baptist Church parish house in NoMad will be torn down to make way for a 40-story condominium building developed by Ekstein Development Group, according to property records filed with the city today.

Certes Partners purchased the site at 30 East 31st Street for $15.5 million last June. Ekstein Development Group’s Erik Ekstein, in partnership with Pinnacle Real Estate, is planning to develop a $90 million condo building on the property.

The new building will be 71,500 square feet and contain 38 units. The second through eighth floors will each hold half-floor apartments, while the ninth through 31st floors will have floor-through apartments, documents show. Floors 32 through 37 will house duplexes.

The property will also include a community room, a fitness facility and a bike storage room. Morris Adjmi is the architect of record.

Ekstein filed permits to tear down the seven-story parish on the site in September.
============================
http://therealdeal.com/blog/2015/02/....hidRooS3.dpuf

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 5:04 PM

Man...why do they need to tear down such a beautiful building. Arent there any more dilapidated buildings that can be brought down?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploppalopp View Post
Man...why do they need to tear down such a beautiful building. Arent there any more dilapidated buildings that can be brought down?
You can't just pick and choose which building to demo/redevelop....the developer owns that building.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 6:36 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

If they decide to go with high ceilings, this could be somewhere in the lines of 440-480 feet or so, maybe even 500 if we add mechanical or some sort of architectural elements. The small units, and half-floor/full floor units will probably mean this is super-luxury, so I would expect high ceilings similar to other developments. Which is not bad for the area. A solid filler if its close to my prediction. Following the trend of other developments from 26th to 31st street. While the structure its replacing is nice and historic, theres plenty of these types all over the place (in terms of style). Given the location, smaller developments that are not landmarked are bound to get redeveloped. Theres a couple of low rise structures in the 50's that will get developed overtime.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 7:13 PM
N40° 46.8925', W073° 57.3

Per NB Application:

410 Feet
35 floors
Morris Adjmi Architects

Diagram

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 7:19 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Thanks VG.

Could a mod change this to: NEW YORK | 30 East 31st Street | 410 FT | 35 FLOORS

Thanks

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 1:58 PM

40-Story Morris Adjmi-Designed Tower Revealed At 30 East 31st Street In Midtown

NIKOLAI FEDAK
NOVEMBER 10, 2015

Quote:
Back in February, YIMBY reported on the first new building applications for a tower coming to 30 East 31st Street, in Midtown Manhattan. And now, we have the reveal, thanks to a tipster’s submission of an on-site rendering. The project is being designed by Morris Adjmi Architects, while Ekstein Development is the developer.

Filings with the DOB reveal a total scope of 71,500 square feet, which is relatively small for a building of 40 floors. That will translate into 38 units altogether, which will be condominiums. Evidently there will be an abundance of full-floor configurations, though the overall average unit will be just shy of 1,900 square feet.

The site was formerly home to the Madison Avenue Baptist Church’s Parish House, built in 1906. Like many other church-owned properties in the vicinity, these plots are some of the last viable development sites in the neighborhood.

While it’s unfortunate that the facade of the old building could not have been saved and translated into the base of the new structure, the Adjmi-designed tower will be a superior replacement. Most of the new towers in the vicinity tend towards simple and glassy, but 30 East 31st Street will depart noticeably from the pack. It will feature ribbons of white cladding that wrap their way into a lattice-like pattern over the upper floors, successfully translating Moorish inspiration into contemporary architecture.

Ekstein acquired the property for $15.6 million in June of 2014 per the Commercial Observer, and at that time, the new project was expected to sell for $90 million in total. Pinnacle Real Estate will also be partnering on the development.

Demolition of the old building is already finished, and signage indicates completion is anticipated by August of 2018.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 7:20 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

From the DOB: http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/BS...de=ES676303059

Looks like a height increase.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2016, 4:46 AM

So this is now a 480 ft. building. Looks like it got slightly taller and skinnier.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 12:30 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Excavation:

Credit: JC_Heights

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 12:25 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Under Construction

Credit: nyc1

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 2:04 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 1:52 PM
Walk taker

I wonder what structures like this will become when the condo market falls apart? I'm almost positive that supply is outpacing demand in a big way, and we'll be left with dozens of empty buildings in a decade. Office conversions, maybe?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 5:11 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This design would of been a good choice for 262 5th Avenue (supertall).

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 5:38 PM

Rather a disappointment for Adjmi.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEss View Post
I wonder what structures like this will become when the condo market falls apart? I'm almost positive that supply is outpacing demand in a big way, and we'll be left with dozens of empty buildings in a decade. Office conversions, maybe?
Lol. What?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 6:18 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Conversions or renovations are always happening.

Warehouses ---> Condo/rentals/office
Office -----> condo/rental

Condos you don't see that many. I'm sure some small office like conversions, for smaller/mom and pop businesses, but you won't be seeing top companies move into some brownstones.

A lot of conversions for city office towers to condo towers going on.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
Lol. What?
These condo towers look great on renderings, but once you've seen the bills, they look quite a bit different.

Everyone must or should realize it's only a niche market for the ultra wealthy at the moment. Not saying it's bad, but unless you can make them more affordable sometime soon, or unless anyone out there becomes a billionaire all of a sudden (allow us to be somewhat skeptical about that), demand for this kind of products is likely to decrease at some point locally. I mean, Manhattan proper got a big share of it lately.

That said, I don't think this market would ever literally collapse either. This standard of living within a city center is too desirable to fail on the long run.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2017, 5:37 AM

Well obviously the height estimate is wrong, or the renderings are wrong.

It looks at least 700 ft. in the renderings, but the building was supposed to be 480 ft.

So I'm guessing either A. The developer purchased additional air rights or B. The rendering is just ridiculously wrong.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2017, 4:38 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
These condo towers look great on renderings, but once you've seen the bills, they look quite a bit different.

Everyone must or should realize it's only a niche market for the ultra wealthy at the moment. Not saying it's bad, but unless you can make them more affordable sometime soon, or unless anyone out there becomes a billionaire all of a sudden (allow us to be somewhat skeptical about that), demand for this kind of products is likely to decrease at some point locally. I mean, Manhattan proper got a big share of it lately.

That said, I don't think this market would ever literally collapse either. This standard of living within a city center is too desirable to fail on the long run.

I would hardly call this a "billiinaire" tower.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive