HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 11:15 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

NEWARK, NJ | Millennium Project Tower | ~ 1000 FT | 80 FLOORS

Quote:
Inklings of Newark’s resurgence have been peppered throughout the press in recent years, and at YIMBY we have covered plans for a 22-story apartment building with 224 units set to rise at One Theatre Square, as well as Richard Meier’s “SOMA Plan,” which offers a blueprint for developer RBH Group’s transformation of the city.

RBH’s current work in Newark is limited to smaller-scale projects like Teacher’s Village, though even that redevelopment is taking on a larger scope. And now it appears that the first tower within the larger master-plan may also be moving closer to reality.

As the Wall Street Journal reported in late December, RBH is planning a mixed-use skyscraper with over 700 residential units, in addition to a hotel, retail, and office space. And YIMBY’s new look for the tower confirms it will certainly be distinctive, rising approximately 80 stories.

While RBH has not released any formal height figures, the building appears to stand roughly 1,000 feet tall, which could (somewhat surprisingly) give Newark the distinction of having New Jersey’s first “supertall” of 1,000 feet or more. Jersey City’s boom has been immense, and its overall skyline has clearly surpassed Newark’s, but even its tallest proposal will stand 995 feet tall, falling short of the 1,000-foot mark.

Jersey City’s resurgence has been obvious for the past two decades, but Newark’s revitalization has not been so swift. The lag in development has been a burden on the city until now, but urban redevelopment is finally pushing beyond the primary nodes outside Manhattan. And while Long Island and Westchester build at the same rate as Detroit, the same cannot be said for urban areas of New Jersey, where the next frontiers of Journal Square and Newark are just about ready for prime-time.

Journal Square has at least seven towers of 40 stories or taller in the works, where none currently exist. While those buildings will be split between four developments, the Four Corners project will be built solely by RBH Group. And the Millennium Project will not just be one tower, with the entirety described on the firm’s website thusly:

The Four Corners Millennium Project (“Millennium Project”) consists of seven mixed-use residential, hotel, office and retail buildings located in the heart of downtown Newark’s Four Corners Historic District.

Urban decline has left Newark with a canvas ripe for redevelopment, but unlike parts of the outer boroughs, the city is encouraging a mixed-use rebirth. Within the Four Corners project, each of the buildings “contain retail on the ground floor, with residential, office or hotel uses above the ground floor,” and even parking is relatively minimal: only “599 cars will be accommodated within the project.”

The exact layout is unclear, but the skyscraper will contain the bulk of the residences. The current breakdown of space is listed as 807,565 square feet of residential (split between 705 units), 70,815 square feet of hotel (130 rooms), 161,670 square feet of retail, and 110,000 square feet of office.
==================================
http://www.yimbynews.com/2015/03/new...m-project.html

Last edited by chris08876; Mar 4, 2015 at 11:26 PM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 12:16 AM

Wow what a beautiful proposal great for Newark! i wouldnt mind that in Midtown.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 2:19 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

hmm, a long shot, but would be a great tower for Newark.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 4:03 AM

Wow. Great news for Newark. Can anyone pinpoint exactly where this one is located? Jersey City has been firing salvos at Newark for awhile and it looks like Newark has finally answered!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 5:29 AM
New Yorker for life

Yeah, this isn't happening.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 5:37 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Yeah, this isn't happening.
How do you know?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 9:46 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Address of this location being: 59-97 Market Street

Google Earth (3d): https://www.google.com/maps/place/97...50a9eba333!4b1

Old Posted Mar 7, 2015, 12:00 AM

That's crazy tall. I know they've got a highrise skyline yet, but if possible, I'd rather get 2 signature towers half this tall if I lived there. You just don't become NYC overnight.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2015, 12:08 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I'm hoping something like this sets the stage for the Manhattanization of Newark. Went to Rutgers Newark for 4 years, and I love this city. Sure it has its downfalls, but its a jewel in the tri state area. Hell, I'd be happy if this was 700 feet, given that its taller than the current tallest at 465 ft, but lets keep the fingers crossed. I'm usually very critical of Newark due to some of its negatives (Some of my past posts), but thats because I care for the place. I want to see it succeed.

Newark is long overdue for a major overhaul. While its getting some nice projects, its not enough. We gotta think like the Wolf of Wall Street for Newark. More!!!

Seeing all thats going on in JC, and the encroaching development wave thats hitting Harrison, Newark will become the next JC. Just a matter of waiting, and seeing how the chess game that is the real estate market develops in Newark.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Newark is long overdue for a major overhaul. While its getting some nice projects, its not enough. We gotta think like the Wolf of Wall Street for Newark. More!!!
I am cynical that Newark will ever pull itself out of its doldrums so long as the political machine that has run the city for decades is still around. Sure, this project and a shiny new Whole Foods and the new Pru complex are nice improvements, but most of the city will remain blighted for decades.

I had jury duty in downtown Newark a couple of years ago. I did not feel that safe, and I spend plenty of times in cities around the country.

That said, I look forward to seeing this new Meier tower rise, even if it is out of scale for the city.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 5:34 PM

While I do think it's too good to be true, I think there is a high possibility that parts of the project will be realized. That taller tower would probably be well over 450m with that spire, I doubt that would come to fruition, at least within the next decade.

http://www.richardmeier.com/?project...hers-village-2

this Teacher's Village vision doesn't seem far from the realm of possibility at all.

Last edited by Hudson11; Mar 8, 2015 at 5:54 PM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 6:18 PM

Food for thought...

It's not for lack of market demand or financing why won't see mega projects like this come to fruition. In the NYC metro, it's usually due to local zoning, transportation demand overwhelming local streets, and NIMBYism.

705 residential units, 130 hotel rooms, and 110,000 sqft of office space can easily be absorbed in Newark, especially in a development within walking distance of Rutgers-Newark, NJIT, Seaton Hall Law, and Penn Station.

If Jersey City can build 1 million sqft in a 95 storey tower on the waterfront and a 2.6 million sqft development at Journal Square, there is no reason why Newark can't build 800,000 sqft in its downtown.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 6:20 PM

They just overhauled the zoning in Newark , The Ironbound is on fire with numerous projects...and the units go very fast within a few weeks.. Jersey City gets gives away huge tax breaks to lure companies from NYC and large abatement's to developers of residential. NJT has bent over backwards to please JC why the rest of Urban Jersey has received nothing. Which is why in my opinion growth has exploded in Newark , Paterson , Hackensack , Elizabeth. They were all promised an Urban Rail Network feeding into Downtown Newark and with the case of Hackensack , Hoboken & Jersey City. But one by one the lines were put on the back burning while Jersey City got everything. Even cheap things like double tracking up to New Bridge landing for half an hour service for Hackensack was canned... Jersey City has received over 3 billion in various Transit upgrades since 1999....Newark and the rest of Urban Jersey have received 400 million. A tiny Spur to Broad Street opened in 2006 , it was originally supposed to go up to Paterson...

Last edited by Nexis4Jersey; Mar 8, 2015 at 6:30 PM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 6:31 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Commercial could easily be absorbed likewise residential. Newark has a really good transportation system through bus's, light rail, and the biggest; one of the major hubs of NJ Transit.

With residential, Newark makes a great commuter town. For commercial, the Downtown is walkable, easily accessible, and cheaper than any rents they would pay in JC or Manhattan.

With the airport, its not like MIA where the flight paths go right over Brickell, so there is a lot of potential for height.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 6:54 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Hopefully they can redevelop that one lot near the train station with a single abandoned rowhouse standing in the middle. Tear it down and throw in a 1000-footer!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
Hopefully they can redevelop that one lot near the train station with a single abandoned rowhouse standing in the middle. Tear it down and throw in a 1000-footer!
The Ironbound has Height limits due to the Airport and they do plan on putting in high density housing around there.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 7:39 PM

how RBH's website puts it... it seems it will overlap with the SoMA Newark plan. I'm guessing the 80 story tower would also be included in the SoMA vision.

http://www.rbhgrp.com/four-corners.html

Quote:
The Four Corners Millennium Project (“Millennium Project”) consists of seven mixed-use residential, hotel, office and retail buildings located in the heart of downtown Newark’s Four Corners Historic District.

[...]

The Millennium Project mirrors the goals and objectives of the SoMa Master Plan, extending the mixed-use, community-building concept north and east from the boundaries of SoMa (including its first phase Teachers Village development), to activate the core of the central business district. Specific uses within the Millennium Project include:

Residential: 807,565 sf (705 units)
Hotel: 70,815 sf (130 rooms)
Retail: 161,670 sf
Office: 110,000 sf

The buildings each contain retail on the ground floor, with residential, office or hotel uses above the ground floor. Parking for 599 cars will be accommodated within the project. Historic features of significant and Landmarked buildings will be preserved in the overall design of the Project.

The Millennium Project builds upon the City’s master planning efforts as outlined in the Living Downtown Plan and the Master Plan to strengthen Four Corners as the active retail crossroads of the downtown by encouraging a continuous, active street wall along Broad and Market Streets that creates vibrant storefronts with day and evening uses that promote pedestrian activity on the street.

In addition, the Millennium Project will enhance the quality of the downtown experience in order to increase residential population, support business attraction, and increase retail spending by a range of downtown populations, including residents, workers, students, and visitors.
If I remember correctly, 101 Market Street (below) is proposed as part of Phase I of the SoMA plan.

Last edited by Hudson11; Apr 1, 2015 at 7:50 PM.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 10:22 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The taller portions would come later on. One thing I hope that changes in Newark is the political attitude. Its the one thing I can see as being the rate-limiting step in this project in terms of it becoming what its intended too. I hope we don't see down the line a bastardization of the original vision. 101 Market Street looks fantastic. Market Street in general is great. Always popping that area. Lots to do and lots of activity.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 12:13 AM
DENNAB

my gosh I hope this development happens that would be too awesome

Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 9:33 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The CTBUH confirms this tower at 1,001 feet and 80 floors.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals