HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 3:46 PM
Moran supreme

EV & the Calgary Drop-In & Rehab Centre

Seeing as there's been a bit of discussion in the 'East Village Rejuvenation Plan' thread regarding the Calgary Drop-In & Rehab Centre, I though I'd create this thread to discuss that issue specifically so as to not have that other thread skew off track too much. I realize that the Calgary Drop-In & Rehab Centre is very much a part of the East Village Rejuvenation Plan but the issues that arise from having the Calgary Drop-In & Rehab Centre (and other similar ventures/services) in the core/beltline are bigger than just the East Village.

Moving forward, people have a lot of strong opinions regarding The DI (nickname used by the Calgary Drop-In & Rehab Centre) - should it remain where it is, should it be moved, should it be changed? Problem is the clientele that utilize the facilities/services as provided by The DI, the Salvation Army, the Mustard Seed and others will usually migrate downtown - all transit focuses on downtown and people just generally navigate there as well. Moving these facilities elsewhere is often unwanted by the neighbors in those communities be it residential or, commercial or industrial and in reality, a central location is probably the most economical way to service the people using these facilities.

Of note, there are similar facilities that do exist in residential or industrial areas and in almost every case, the affected community did put up a fight. There is some sort of drug rehab place that opened up quietly about a year or so ago in the community next to ours and while it was opposed, I have never seen or heard anything bad arising out it being there - then again, I don't know anything about it or what services it provides. It is just there and is very nondescript.

Never the less, The Di and it's like in the downtown core and beltline - there is no easy solution. I don't see the city looking to decentralize these facilities any time soon and at this moment in time, The DI does indeed already have a number of satellite facilities that are not located in the downtown core. I don't have any answers but do know these operations provide invaluable services - my family has volunteered at The DI and my wife has both an uncle and cousin who work at The DI. Yeah, I get that people spending money on digs in the East Village don't want to see the clientele of The DI and such in their community but these facilities have to exist somewhere - the question is if not where they are now then where?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy