HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 2:25 PM

Science Center seems to be dragging on a building they have tenants already for. This one will not be built this decade, if it ever gets built at all.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christof View Post
Science Center seems to be dragging on a building they have tenants already for. This one will not be built this decade, if it ever gets built at all.
Debbie Downer, why all the negative pronouncements in every thread with no facts? And yet you are surprised at University City buildings that are clearly moving forward.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 4:52 PM

Maybe after seeing South Park's episode last night on Internet trolling he got inspired.., or the untimely death of the Twitter philly guy (@tombrodude)with the naked man pictures! It's a trolling fest by christof!

Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 12:39 AM

I followed the Science Center since I was an undergrad at Penn in the late 90's. Science Center has its heart in the right place, but the factional ownership structure - dozens of universities, from UD to Lehigh, with the largest being Penn, with single digit ownership, is the fatal flaw.

They have had plans, like the ones for 36th Street for decades. Never been built. Not sure if they will ever be built by the Science Center.

What is painful is the University City High School part. I thought there was a lot of juice behind it, especially with Drexel involved. But I'm getting the impression that Drexel's priority is with the Innovation Neighborhood / Schuylkill Yards and this has become a secondary development.

You need to read the tea leaves.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 12:41 AM

Btw - Drexel's Innovation Neighborhood has a significant advantage over Penn's Pennovation plans. Its all about location, location, location, and the Dupont property is a great piece of land, in a terrible spot (transportation wise).

Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Btw - Drexel's Innovation Neighborhood has a significant advantage over Penn's Pennovation plans. Its all about location, location, location, and the Dupont property is a great piece of land, in a terrible spot (transportation wise).
I think you're comparing apples to oranges here. The Innovation Neighborhood is intended to be a full-service, fully integrated urban neighborhood with offices, research facilities, residences, restaurants, etc. Pennovation has much more limited ambitions, to essentially be a highly specialized urban office park containing Penn and Penn-affiliated research and development facilities and related small companies and start-ups:

Quote:
The Pennovation Works is the 23-acre property located at the intersection of 34th Street and Grays Ferry Avenue in Philadelphia. This property is designed to be a unique blend of offices, labs and production spaces.

The Pennovation Center is one building on the Pennovation Works site, complete with labs, creative spaces, and coworking areas.
https://www.pennovation.upenn.edu/faqs

Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 11:53 AM

Unless Penn builds some sort of monorail or tram system between the main campus and the Dupont property, the Dupont property will never be properly utilized. Getting to the South campus is hell. I dare you to try one day. Go from 34 and Walnut to the Dupont property, and tell me what you think.

I doubt that some sort of transit system will ever be put in place, since that would cost a lot of money. Long term, it may be best to move a couple of the athletic fields to Dupont and develop that land.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Unless Penn builds some sort of monorail or tram system between the main campus and the Dupont property, the Dupont property will never be properly utilized. Getting to the South campus is hell. I dare you to try one day. Go from 34 and Walnut to the Dupont property, and tell me what you think.

I doubt that some sort of transit system will ever be put in place, since that would cost a lot of money. Long term, it may be best to move a couple of the athletic fields to Dupont and develop that land.
Penn already provides on-demand transportation from the main campus to Pennovation:

Quote:
Penn Transit Services offers an on-demand shuttle service to Pennovation Works, Monday to Friday from 7:00AM to 7:00 PM to all Penn community members holding a valid PennCard.
https://www.pennovation.upenn.edu/si...%20version.pdf (see page 5)

However, the primary goal is to foster small tech start-ups--and especially those utilizing Penn-developed technologies--by providing specialized lab and co-working space. So many, if not most, of the people working there will NOT be coming from the Penn campus on a regular basis. A couple of years ago, Penn hired a prominent outside planning firm to develop a long-term master plan for this site that allows for flexibility and evolution as needs develop over the next several decades. It's not as if Penn bought the place and suddenly decided to just plop some R&D there. In fact, Penn bought this site because it previously was a light industrial R&D facility, relatively near campus but not on or directly adjoining campus, and it's location was a key factor in the decision to purchase it. Again, it's intended to be essentially a specialized R&D and high-tech industrial park that is fairly close and accessible to Penn without altering the character of the main campus, and is NOT supposed to become the full-blown bustling urban neighborhood that Drexel plans for its Innovation Neighborhood.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 2:10 PM

[QUOTE=Philly Fan;7572173]Penn already provides on-demand transportation from the main campus to Pennovation:

I dare you to try and get from Penn campus to the Dupont land during the day. Try it and you will understand what I am saying.

The south campus is 23 acres in size. Pennovation should only take up a segment of that space. Honestly, this is nice piece of land, but I am doubtful it will ever be fully utilized because of logistics.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 2:24 PM

Quote:
I dare you to try and get from Penn campus to the Dupont land during the day. Try it and you will understand what I am saying.

The south campus is 23 acres in size. Pennovation should only take up a segment of that space. Honestly, this is nice piece of land, but I am doubtful it will ever be fully utilized because of logistics.
Dude, you're such a downer these days! Gotta have more faith! Let's drink a highball at nightfall, with a toast to dear old Penn.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 3:08 PM

University City sites get Keystone Opportunity Zone extensions

Quote:
Two development sites in the University City neighborhood of Philadelphia have received 10-year extensions on a Keystone Opportunity Zone designation that had been scheduled to expire next year.

The parcels involve 3400 Market St. and 3800 Market St., which are part of the uCity Square mixed-use community that is being developed over the next decade between the University City Science Center and Wexford Science & Technology. The opportunity zones will now expire in December 2026.

Both 3400 Market and 3800 Market are in pre-development but are being marketed to tenants. The proposed building at 3400 Market will stand 16 stories and total 400,000 square feet of office and lab space while 3800 Market is a 19-story, 400,000-square-foot structure.
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...t-wexford.html

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Currently in pre-development, 3400 Market is a state-of-the-art lab and office building offering ground floor retail and convenient access to public transportation. Within one block of both the University of Pennsylvania and Drexel University campuses, 3400 Market Street provides unprecedented access to a young and talented workforce in the heart of a vibrant innovation district.
http://ucitysquare.com/property/3400-market-street/

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 1:26 PM
BANNED

I will be glad when one of these towers actually breaks ground. There has been a lot of talk and a lot of renderings thrown around but nothing is actually moving forward at the UCity HS site or on Market.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 3:25 PM

Do these uninspired mid-rise glass boxes that are quickly lining up Market Street in Univ City remind anyone else of DC?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Do these uninspired mid-rise glass boxes that are quickly lining up Market Street in Univ City remind anyone else of DC?
Yep--I've been thinking that for a while (having grown up in the DC area).

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 3:49 PM

Even before the lasted round of glass boxes that stretch of Market reminded me of DC.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 3:51 PM

I've thought the same for years.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 7:40 PM

Ditto.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 8:31 PM

I think it's the mix of wide street and shorter, modern buildings.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 1:25 AM

Big Project Forthcoming at 3400 Market?

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...at-3400-market

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals