HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 12:01 PM
you know where I'll be

Cool CHICAGO | CNA Center (151 N. Franklin) | 568 FT | 36 FLOORS

Given that we're a planned 3-4 months away from caissons here, and I think this tower is deserving, I thought it was time for its own thread.

As I'm just beginning to see some new renderings with a bit of a different design (have seen at least one other - night time rendering - as well, within the last week), I think it's possible (no inside knowledge here to confirm this) we may just be looking at a little VE-inspired redesign here: link below. The original did have curved glass I believe, which as I understand is pretty expensive. That said, if this is indeed the new design, I like it (obviously need to see more, and more detailed renderings) on its own merits.....

http://www.tjbc.com/current-projects/151-north-franklin

old rendering:

Last edited by Steely Dan; Sep 28, 2015 at 9:49 PM.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 12:12 PM
The City

^ Damn, I preferred the curved glass

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 12:25 PM

Is this project really worthy of its own thread?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 12:47 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Obviously my vote is yes.

It's arguably more important than a whole host of others that have recently had their own threads - Loews, 545 N. McClurg, Optima II, etc.
For those schoolchildren that think everything is about height, 151 may come out to about 570' or so in that respect, so that is I believe at the very least not disqualifying on its own.

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Jun 9, 2015 at 1:04 PM.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 1:49 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 2:01 PM

Aug 2013

Aug 2014

Feb 2015

I guess a few more months won't kill us ......

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 4:47 PM
DENNAB

For a second I confused this with 130 North Franklin and thought it had replaced it and was about to cry.

Another good filler building though I suppose.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 6:52 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Aug 2014
^ I actually remember this pic from last year because.....ahem.....um.....

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 6:59 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Given that we're a planned 3-4 months away from caissons here, and I think this tower is deserving, I thought it was time for its own thread.

As I'm just beginning to see some new renderings with a bit of a different design (have seen at least one other - night time rendering - as well, within the last week), I think it's possible (no inside knowledge here to confirm this) we may just be looking at a little VE-inspired redesign here: link below. The original did have curved glass I believe, which as I understand is pretty expensive. That said, if this is indeed the new design, I like it (obviously need to see more, and more detailed renderings) on its own merits.....

(And, if A Mod could please help this clumsy thread-starting attempt by standardizing the title.....with Chicago, and 36 stories?) Thanks!
Sam, I could be wrong, but I think it may be the angle of the sunlight shown in the rendering, and NOT a design modification - I think the curved corner glass is still part of the overall design; but it is admittedly difficult to tell from such a small rendering

Old Posted Jun 15, 2015, 6:24 PM
you know where I'll be

^ It's possible.......although it really looks like a sharp 90 degree angle to me........saw a nighttime version of this new one as well and looks to be the same.....

At any rate, have a feeling we won't need to wait too long for an answer....

Old Posted Jul 3, 2015, 7:07 PM
you know where I'll be

Parking Lot Closed

As Skyguy reported in the highrise thread, the small lot on this site beside the closed Walgreens has now closed forever. My guess is that, depending on permits of course, we'll see demo by August and closing on construction loan and beginning of caisson work possibly before the end of September.......

Old Posted Jul 3, 2015, 7:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ I actually remember this pic from last year because.....ahem.....um.....
What, the hot dude in the blue suit?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 5:43 PM
you know where I'll be

Not a major update, but I did find it interesting that (and this is to be taken with somewhere between one grain of, and a heaping of salt) CoStar, in the last couple weeks or so, apparently has moved up the start date of this one to September. They've also corrected the size info to in the vicinity of 830,000 sq ft, which corresponds to the 36 floor design, and still is citing 568' for the total height.

At any rate, watch those demo permits.....as it won't be long at all now before one is issued for the Walgreens.....

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 1:41 PM
you know where I'll be

Freeborn and Peters Drops Out as One Anchor

As reported yesterday in Crain's, Freeborn and Peters has backed-out as one of the anchors. Somewhat strange in that one would figure once a large tenant has made up their mind that this is the type of modern and efficient space and building they want to move into for the long-term, they would do a complete 180 and opt to stay in much, much different type of space at 311 Wacker (neither modern nor efficient)..........I'd be shocked if anything less than a significant outright rent reduction (in the context of a solidly increasing overall market rent) would have been enough to convince Freeborn to stay there.....(unless of course there's something up at Freeborn as a firm that wasn't indicated in article or generally known at least outside of legal industry circles)

At any rate, most important with respect to 151 Franklin, Buck stressed at least in the article yesterday that they are moving forward (with what I think looks like no more than potentially up to a few months of delay in schedule) with the tower and Hinshaw as anchor tenant, due to file for demolition permits today, and with construction commencing either late this year or very early next, for completion by year-end 2017.....

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 6:17 PM

I walked past this morning on the way to work and there was some kind of action at this site -- I think they might have been putting up more secure barriers.

I work on the 35th floor of a building overlooking this site, so I should be able to get good photos when it does get started.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 6:31 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ welcome to the forum!

thanks for the update!

and we eagerly anticipate those aerial construction shots!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 6:08 PM

Stuff is definitely going on. They appear to be putting up a 7 foot fence on the Randolph side.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 6:13 PM
you know where I'll be

^ That's what I like to see! Welcome, thanks for the contribution, and look forward to many, many more over the next couple years.....actually, not to press our collective luck here, but does your company's office space have a view to the south as well? A little project right across the street on that side that you might just so happen to have a great vantage point of as well! (but that's more like an end-'16 to end-'18-type endeavor......)

Old Posted Sep 26, 2015, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
^ That's what I like to see! Welcome, thanks for the contribution, and look forward to many, many more over the next couple years.....actually, not to press our collective luck here, but does your company's office space have a view to the south as well? A little project right across the street on that side that you might just so happen to have a great vantage point of as well! (but that's more like an end-'16 to end-'18-type endeavor......)
Yeah, all four directions. A friend of mine has a great view to the South. I'll take a photo of 150 N. Riverside and Riverpoint to the West when I get a chance.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2015, 1:25 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

James, I believe Sam was referring to 130 N Franklin, a lovely project which should start next year. Also, longer term, the General Growth Building to the southwest along the river will probably be redeveloped. Your office is going to have a nice view of a lot of construction sites.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive