HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 4:37 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ unh huh. well thank you for your service, but money is money and you well know 2% is fair. at least denmark is making a move toward that.

sorry to rustle your jimmies a little there.

of course this all looks wonderful and i will be visiting sometime for sure.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 11:00 AM
Kicking it Viking style..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
unh huh. well thank you for your service, but money is money and you well know 2% is fair. at least denmark is making a move toward that.
We have a modernized military that have proved itself well in all operations we participate in, just as we have a defense we find fitting to our needs..

I'm a supporter of our military, but I don't see the need for a bigger budget - we have the capabilities we need and major orders are handled on a case by case additional funding by the parliament..

We are not a global aggressor - we don't need bases in allied countries or a fleet that outnumbers the rest of the world..

The budget we have also doesn't need to covers basics such as education, pension or health for our citizens as they are already covered by the state..
The same goes for housing or other facilities that doesn't relate to the military service itself..

If you add all the additional stuff the US adds into it's budget you will find pretty similar figures as we have already covered - but even if you didn't we still do not have the need the US thinks it has..

At the end of the day we are a small easily overrun nation - our defense is based on 2 things - the first is guerilla warfare against invaders and the second part is our offensive capabilities in cooperation with allies.
And while there is always room for improvements as long as we fulfill our goals then there is hardly any need to throw more money at it is there?
( our defense is after all our own problem - let us worry about that! )

When has the US or any other NATO nation not found Denmark to pull it's part in the field or politically?

As for what that is fair in the world I would say universal healthcare for citizens are fair.. that safe streets and good social conditions are fair... that a proper welfare system is fair.. that public pension is fair.. that proper infrastructure is fair and that a government that represents the people, not the companies are fair..

Is it fair if Denmark starts whining about how the US spends it's budget on it's citizens - it is afterall no secret you guys spend way too little!
Quote:
of course this all looks wonderful and i will be visiting sometime for sure.
Thank you!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 1:00 PM
BANNED

What a stunning place!!!!! Your photos magnificently capture this ideal society!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 3:40 PM

^

Ørestad District - Copenhagen

Dragør - Amager Island

Tversted Strand - Northern Jutland

Copenhagen Habour

Sønderborg - Als Island

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 4:14 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREKI View Post
We have a modernized military that have proved itself well in all operations we participate in, just as we have a defense we find fitting to our needs..

I'm a supporter of our military, but I don't see the need for a bigger budget -
that opinion is going against your politicians because your own country has upped its share a bit closer and has not left nato. the goal is everyone should be at 2%. everybody knows the usa has been shouldering defense of europe in your case and that fairness is everyone pulling equal weight according to their means. it has been patently unfair and there is just no question about that, you cannot rationalize your way out of that fact.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 7:53 PM

Quote:
this is a good example of what nice things you can have when you dont have to give a care in the world about your own self defense when uncle sam has your back. thankfully for the usa taxpayer that will be changing.

https://warontherocks.com/2018/07/de...-for-prestige/
lol, american conservatives are such an embarrassment

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 12:26 AM
BANNED

Unlike America, Denmark doesn't wage campaigns of aggression around the world and abuse Muslim countries at Israel's behest. Therefore, it doesn't need to spend an obscene amount on the military like the US does.

Last edited by JMKeynes; Feb 1, 2019 at 1:10 AM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 12:59 AM

While it's a very interesting topic and I would love to debate it I don't think this is the right thread..

What I will say is first of all that when the US includes pension, housing, post service education and various other things then it's no wonder it stands out - if we did the same we would too, it just happens to be covered for all, not just those who serve here thus not on the military budget..

As for budget if we look at it on a pr capita base then I think Denmark does alright - after all we are not a global aggressor, nor do we need to cover land across the globe.. all we need to do is keep the Canadians and Russians off our Arctic territories and arrest drunken Russian sailers befor ethey crash into our bridges around the mainland isles..

In any case here's the pr capita spending - those who still don't think we pull our weight are ever so free to think so - but it's certainly not the 0,5% GDP that makes the urban and societal difference between the US and Denmark
Nor has our "limited" spending ever prevented us from participating in foreign operations at the level needed from us.. so maybe the focus should be on willingness and results, not the budget itself!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 1:52 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ service and rationizations aside, it still remains 2% for all is fair. i should not have to post this, you know it well enough, it's why denmark is starting to pay in closer to its rightful share --- hopefully others will as well if they have any sense of fairness:

In 2017, the U.S. accounted for 51.1 percent of NATO's combined GDP and 71.7 percent of its combined defense expenditure. In short, the U.S. contributed more funds to NATO than Germany, France, Italy, Spain, the United Kingdom and Canada combined. Meanwhile, the U.S. spent $685.9 billion on defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
Unlike America, Denmark doesn't wage campaigns of aggression around the world and abuse Muslim countries at Israel's behest. Therefore, it doesn't need to spend an obscene amount on the military like the US does.

name one.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 6:43 PM

Quote:
service and rationizations aside, it still remains 2% for all is fair.
You can keep claiming whatever you want, but there is no such demand in NATO.. just like there isn’t a demand for universal healthcare despite that being fair..

Military spending is a national matter, just like social spending or infrastructure..

I can easily tell you how unfair the US spends it’s money when it has so many poor, so bad infrastructure and so many social issues, so much crime etc. but that is hardly my business, just like the US defence spendings aren’t either..

I have heard you find it unfair, but that is your problem and you claiming our nation is the result of low defense spending is about as ridicules as it gets and sounds like something coming out the orange menace..

At the end of the day it is our budget and you can ignore it or cry yourself to sleep, neither does anything to change it, just like me shaking my head at all the issues in the US due to lacking budget doesn’t do anything to change that..

Quote:
In 2017, the U.S. accounted for 51.1 percent of NATO's combined GDP and 71.7 percent of its combined defense expenditure.
So what?

It’s also the only global agressor - and with all respect the only western nation where people still buy into old school political scare tactics..

Nothing is stopping the US from spending less or leaving NATO - that is all your call - just like our spending and membership are ours..

We have a saying here: As you lay your bed, so shall you sleep

I suggest you think about that and leave this photothread be a photothread, not a budget debate..

Last edited by FREKI; Feb 2, 2019 at 1:47 PM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 10:59 PM
BANNED

Denmark looks amazing to me.

America should be more peaceful like Denmark in my opinion. Instead, we're a belligerent nation.

Last edited by JMKeynes; Feb 1, 2019 at 11:37 PM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 1:54 PM

Going back to what the thread is about.. ( those who wants to debate politics are very free to PM me - just no point in doing it in this thread )

Bovbjerg - Western Jutland

Old Town - Copenhagen

Great Belt Bridge - 17km bridge system linking the islands of Funen and Zealand ( longest suspension bridge in Europe and 3rd globally )

Vordingborg - Southern Zealand

Islands Brygge District - Copenhagen

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 3:42 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 11:40 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREKI View Post

So what?

It’s also the only global agressor - and with all respect the only western nation where people still buy into old school political scare tactics..

Nothing is stopping the US from spending less or leaving NATO - that is all your call - just like our spending and membership are ours..

We have a saying here: As you lay your bed, so shall you sleep

I suggest you think about that and leave this photothread be a photothread, not a budget debate..

lol you can be as blissfully removed, rationalizing, ungrateful and cheapskate as you like, but the fact is you would have thought differently in the past, in this current day and would in the future if there was no nato. you all have to pay more of your share for it.

agreed, enough.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 3:37 AM

Quote:
lol you can be as blissfully removed, rationalizing, ungrateful and cheapskate as you like
Blissfully removed, ungrateful cheapskate says hi

I have been shot at, survived mortars and rocket attacks, heck even sustained a fairly serious back injury along other scratches while supporting your nation abroad - and I'd gladly do it again if need be.. but does that mean I have to give up my job in law enforcement to be actively serving in case of a future conflict - or could it be that like last time I sign up when there is a need, just as our Kingdom dedicates funds when there is a need..

Remind me again what it is you have done that I should be grateful for?
Quote:
the fact is you would have thought differently in the past, in this current day and would in the future if there was no nato. you all have to pay more of your share for it.
We uphold the military force we feel is necessary for the situation we are in, just as we always have as a founding member of NATO and the 5th highest per capita spender.. when the situation changes so does our spending and focus..

Remember that all males here between 18 and 60 are required by law to serve if needed - and out of those ~2million over 500.000 have undergone training and are specialized in a function!

At the end of the day it's our necks on the line, so perhaps you might want to change your focus to issues where your neck is on the line, such as the social situation in the US resulting in the high crime rates and murder rates, or perhaps your broken health system that has caused the US to be the only developed nation with a declining lifespan.. or how about the lacking infrastructure...

You started out by claiming our nation was the result of a low military budget - well if you truly believe that is the case perhaps it's worth learning from that and direct some of your resources towards your own nation rather than having a military spending that basically matches the rest of the planet, while your people suffer poverty, crime, untreated health issues and crumbling infrastructure..

At the end of the day we are running our nation as we want to and in the interest of our citizens, the US can whine and cry and your orange chief can huff and puff, we're still going to run our nation as we see fit and remain a nation that inspires others, not a nation that makes people laugh or shake heads their heads at..

When the world needs us we will be there - just as we have for decades - heck as a reservist I'd gladly sign up for a tour to stabilize Venezuela or desarm Iran, just as I did Iraq in the old days - but at this moment the needs the world have from us are covered by the budget we have dedicated, so why in the world should we spend money on the military when it's better spend elsewhere?

As you lay your bed, so shall you sleep!

Råbjerg - Northern Jutland

Old Town - Copenhagen

Aabenraa - Southern Jutland

Christianshavn District - Copenhagen

Last edited by FREKI; Feb 9, 2019 at 5:21 AM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 10:29 AM

Boh, Freki, we only need our own European military gathered in a single, powerful and crushing army, then that kind of boring debate is done.

We'll see what the US says once you no longer need them.
Hé hé.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 5:40 PM

Blåvand - Southern Jutland

Old Town - Copenhagen

Esbjerg - Southern Jutland

Inner City District - Copenhagen

Gudhjem - Bornholm Island

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
Boh, Freki, we only need our own European military gathered in a single, powerful and crushing army, then that kind of boring debate is done.

We'll see what the US says once you no longer need them.
Hé hé.
Delusional thinking . One of the reasons the UK wanted to leave the E.U
Anyway fantastic photos of a great country

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 6:43 PM

Dybbøl - Southern Jutland

Islands Brygge District - Copenhagen

Kongens Have ( "Kings Garden" ) - Old Town - Copenhagen

Egeskov Castle ( anno 1554 ) - Funen Island

Frederiksberg District - Copenhagen

Last edited by FREKI; Feb 14, 2019 at 6:54 PM.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2019, 1:00 PM

Skagen - Northern Jutland

Old Town - Copenhagen

Dragør - Amager Island

Næstved - Zealand Island

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos